Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huronlad

Cost Of Repairs For The 451

5 posts in this topic

I did not see a thread for the cost of repairs for the 451, similar to the thread for the 450.I do not have a break down of the individual costs. Nor am I paying M-B to have this work done but Victoria Star wants over $400 to replace the front brakes on a 451. :lol:

Cost for that is $371.30 plus taxes

I may ask for a break down for giggles when I pick my car up tomorrow from the valve check work currently being done. I will post those costs when I get my receipt.

Pads and rotors, or pads only? If the former, the price isn't totally ridiculous, though it is a bit on the high side (I paid less for the rear brakes and rotors on my B200 at TPM).

Replacement parts from RockAuto start at around $40 for a set of pads and rotors(OE equivalent), the best set is about $100 for drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads. With jack and stands maybe a 60 minute job, if I take my time.No symptoms on my drive into the dealership but the Tech says my rotors are warped. I have an easier time believing at worst the calipers/pads need cleaned up again and a little lubrication. Seems like a failed fishing attempt by M-B to take more of my money.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Valve clearance check, charged for 5 hours, told it took 6, $550. $63.27 in parts, gasket, sealant, screws.Installed spark plugs at the same time, charged 6/10 of an hour, $66.Told all valves within tolerance. Intake valves need to be between .18 to .26. Exhaust .26 to .34. Values confirmed by Flossy here and at sCOA. My exhaust valves are all out of tolerance.post-5864-1396576571_thumb.jpgWIS screenshot from Flossypost-5864-1396666320_thumb.png

Edited by Huronlad

In the UK my local Smart dealers charge £120 per hour or around $190. Hence my desire not to go to them for my sick CDI. Any non Smart service people need to have access to the Star software and Kit to do virtually any work on the cars.In general I have no issues with using pattern parts, many of which if obtained through solid car parts companies, are made by the suppliers to Smart. But I guess we are a bit spoiled for spare parts having so many Smarts in the UK and Europe.There are huge amounts of previously used spares on Ebay, and many cars being written off for sources of good components.Grumpyb