GoGreenGo

Charging Issue

23 posts in this topic

I had an issue last weekend starting my car when it was only partly charged. I disconnected the charger from the car when the charger was actively charging the car (wasn't at 100% charged) and then couldn’t get the car to start. I turned the key to start the car and saw what I think was every warning light that car has come on and stayed on. No engine. I also couldn’t get the car back charging. Putting the charger back on the car cause the malfunction warning to appear on the charging screen. An hour later, the car starts up like nothing had ever been wrong. So I put the charger back on – no malfunction this time – everything is working fine. A couple hours later I pulled the charger off and tried to start the car – NO GO – just all the warning lights and messages. Wait an hour – try to start it again and it is like the problem never existed. Starts and runs perfectly. Charge it to 100% so the charger is not actively charging when disconnected - starts and runs perfectly. ???!!Anyone have this problem?So off to the dealer – after three days in the shop – with “we aren’t sure what is going on with your car” – they did a computer reset and software upgrade and gave me the car back. I will let you know how it goes….. when I get the nerve up to pull the plug when it’s charging.

Edited by GoGreenGo

Anyone have this problem?

No, after 2600 miles, I have not had this happen. What I have experienced a couple of times is the "O" on the dashboard gear selection indicator. I attribute it to shifting into "R" or "D" before the computer is properly booted up. Or before the "Ready" message is displayed. When the "O" is displayed, a simple shut off, followed by turning back on resets things to normal. Did you try to turn off and then back on?Also, what was the ambient temp when this happened? If it were too cold and the battery is "freezing", then the car is not operational...although with the car plugged in and charging, that should not have been the case. Edited by Pete

What I have experienced a couple of times is the "O" on the dashboard gear selection indicator. I attribute it to shifting into "R" or "D" before the computer is properly booted up. Or before the "Ready" message is displayed. When the "O" is displayed, a simple shut off, followed by turning back on resets things to normal.

Yes, seen this multiple times. I now wait a few seconds after turning on the ignition switch before I put the gear selector in D or R. This is a well known issue on all Smarts apparently, not just the ED.

I had an issue last weekend starting my car when it was only partly charged. I disconnected the charger from the car when the charger was actively charging the car (wasn't at 100% charged) and then couldn’t get the car to start.Anyone have this problem?

I routinely disconnect the EVSE (aka charger) from the car during charging and have not experienced this. I hear a click from the car (presumably an internal hard switch) and the EVSE also makes a faint clicking sound during disconnect.As for production date, my 2014 Smart ED was delivered to me in November 2013 (after a 9 month wait).

With the CDI, the "0" happens if you select a gear before applying the brakes first

Did you try to turn off and then back on?Also, what was the ambient temp when this happened? If it were too cold and the battery is "freezing", then the car is not operational...although with the car plugged in and charging, that should not have been the case.

Yes I tried turning the car off and back on several times with no luck – just warning lights. The car was in the garage with the temperature about 1C so not too cold. The only incident I remember that might relate was an unsuccessful attempt to use my charge point card (first try) on a charge point station at -10C. I did a lot of plugging and unplugging the charger with a charge point operator trying to help. In the end I gave it up due to the cold but that was the first time the car gave me the error. As the car started fine when I went back out after I had warmed up, I dismissed it as “I guess I must have done something wrong”.I later found my trouble with the charge point card was due activating a new credit card the night before which inactivated the old one on the charge point account – so nothing worked. Fixed that up and have since used the charge point cards successfully. Good news - since the MB computer reboot and upgrade, I have been able to pull the EVSE out when the car was still charging and then started the car with no issues. I have also restarted charging after unplugging – no malfunction error. So far so good.

Great! Hoping you have fun with the car and can enjoy it now that it's working better for you.

So far not so good!

After getting my car back from MB, everything worked perfectly for a week. Then Saturday afternoon of the Easter long weekend, I went to start up the car and no go. Drive Sys. – Engine off. :excl: This time the engine doesn't come back - 100% fail. On Monday the car was towed to the MB shop. After some discussion by Midtown MB shop with MB headquarters, the conclusion is that my battery is defective and needs to be replaced. They have ordered a replacement battery from Germany with an estimated 3-3.5 weeks for delivery.

Edited by GoGreenGo

After getting my car back from MB, everything worked perfectly for a week. Then Saturday afternoon of the Easter long weekend, I went to start up the car and no go. Drive Sys. – Engine off. :excl: This time the engine doesn't come back - 100% fail. On Monday the car was towed to the MB shop. After some discussion by Midtown MB shop with MB headquarters, the conclusion is that my battery is defective and needs to be replaced.

That is truly unfortunate news! Your experiences would discourage the most ardent fan of the Smart ED. :-(There have been so few reports of problems with the high voltage battery...Your earlier problems seem to have been early signs that there was a fundamental problem with your cars power unit.Wishing you good fortune, and a speedy return to all-electric driving!

That is truly unfortunate news! Your experiences would discourage the most ardent fan of the Smart ED. :-(There have been so few reports of problems with the high voltage battery...Your earlier problems seem to have been early signs that there was a fundamental problem with your cars power unit.Wishing you good fortune, and a speedy return to all-electric driving!

I am still a fan of the Smart Car (ED and all) and miss driving it already. It's only one part (although I am a bit miffed :thumbsdown_still: at that part at the moment) soon to be replaced. I know from reading the forums that this is not the usual experience. Thanks for the support.

On The Road Again

Been meaning to post an update on the new battery installation and post install performance, but life got in the way.

Car in shop April 21

Car ready May 16

4 weeks as quoted to get battery replacement

no info on cost of battery

Invoice noted the following:

Fault codes in BMS – P07800 – the precharging time of the high-voltage on-board electrical system is too long.

P1B1700 – The overload protection of switch ‘Precharging’ of the high-voltage battery is active.

Included update information to tips case #611978862

Car now christened: Short Circuit (fitting I think but no more disassemble!)

Performance after replacement: Outstanding

Longest Trip: July - Unionville to Port Perry & return with a passenger - 97.2 km

Start 121 km range with 100% SOC

End 31 km range 20% SOC (84% ECO)

Tracking: Recording daily range, distance travelled, ECO, SOC. temperature, aux use, etc and have sign up with MyEV for a logger.

1 person likes this

Welcome back! Glad to hear your ED is working well. I'm at one year now, and really enjoying my commute as much as ever. There are a lot more Smart ED around these parts after the August 2014 lease sale. I've seen 10 different electric drives, including one in my office parking lot (haven't met the owner yet).

Performance after replacement: Outstanding

have the same issue " Drive Sys. – Engine off " warning light. Did you have that resolved and what was it?

MB replaced my battery and that resolved the problem. I am 3+ years past that early issue with no problems so I guess the battery was defective. I have run this car in -30C weather with no issues (reduced range but starts and runs great). I think I just had a bit of bad luck - MB resolved it quickly and service was great - love this little car. Coming to the end of my lease in Nov but as I am retiring from work I am not going to keep little car (bit sad to let him go but I won't be commuting anymore.) I am still planning to keep a low carbon footprint as I am learning to sail. For retirement travels we plan to use the wind. Best of luck with the warning light.

I am having this too. Just bought my 2014 used/lease return. Dealer was aware of BAP but they never sent the paperwork to Mercedes so now must sort that before I can get service. First 3 weeks 1K miles trouble free then did a short 20 minute charge while shopping and got the Drive Sys. – Engine off message. Plugged and unplugged the power cord and it went to ready and I could drive. Charged it fully. Next time different charger short 15 minute charge same message. Took 10 minutes of fiddling starting stopping to get it to start. Now it just happens randomly and so far I've been able to eventually get it to start. Once it starts it runs fine and I'm getting the full advertised range 3 bars of power. Now parked until I can get the BAP transferred to me and a service appointment. Hoping it won't need a new battery or that at least the wait time for a new battery has gone down. One month without a car will not be fun! Really disappointed as I'd done a lot of research and these cars seemed rock solid reliable.

IMG_0066.jpg

On 7.8.2017 at 10:00 PM, ElectroSmarty said:

I am having this too. Just bought my 2014 used/lease return. Dealer was aware of BAP but they never sent the paperwork to Mercedes so now must sort that before I can get service. First 3 weeks 1K miles trouble free then did a short 20 minute charge while shopping and got the Drive Sys. – Engine off message. Plugged and unplugged the power cord and it went to ready and I could drive. Charged it fully. Next time different charger short 15 minute charge same message. Took 10 minutes of fiddling starting stopping to get it to start. Now it just happens randomly and so far I've been able to eventually get it to start. Once it starts it runs fine and I'm getting the full advertised range 3 bars of power. Now parked until I can get the BAP transferred to me and a service appointment. Hoping it won't need a new battery or that at least the wait time for a new battery has gone down. One month without a car will not be fun! Really disappointed as I'd done a lot of research and these cars seemed rock solid reliable.

IMG_0066.jpg

Hi. 

I have just the same problem as you describe. I have imported the car from the United States to Norway, so have a challenge. Have you solved the problem? And how did they/you solve it?

Not solved unfortunately. I took the car into Smart Center for service. Turns out the car had never been serviced before and I bought it at 3+ years old 20k miles. They performed the service and did 2 required software updates. They found one of the same codes that the OP mentioned, P07800 – the precharging time of the high-voltage on-board electrical system is too long. The service tech wrote: NO INFORMATION FOUND ON THIS CODE, PROCESSED THE CODE AND TOOK TO PERFORMING SW UPDATE TO THE BATTERY. 

So basically they just cleared it and hoped the software update would fix it. They did a battery test and it passed the test no issues. Went weeks with no problems then a few days ago it came back but went away after 1 key turn. Now it's done it again 3 more times and been harder and harder to clear so it goes back to Smart next week. I'll post the outcome.

Also when this is happening and I try to plug in the charger it won't charge and says Malfunction.

IMG_0631.jpg

Is this happening with one particular charger or brand of charger?

In recent months, I found my ED was increasingly not charging at the Sun Country Highway stations installed at local IKEA stores. I'm not sure if it was an issue with the car or with the Sun Country Highway units. But it consistently charged just about everywhere else.

No I use a variety of public and private chargers and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it does it. It'll go weeks without a problem and then this will happen for anywhere from 1 minute to 30 minutes. Always eventually starts but very annoying. 

On 10/16/2017 at 1:32 PM, darren said:

Is this happening with one particular charger or brand of charger?

In recent months, I found my ED was increasingly not charging at the Sun Country Highway stations installed at local IKEA stores. I'm not sure if it was an issue with the car or with the Sun Country Highway units. But it consistently charged just about everywhere else.

We had problems at the North York IKEA as well.   I assumed the charger was broken because we've never had problems with any other L2 charger.    Sun Country's support line was a joke.   Left a message, no reply, no resolution etc. 

The Etobicoke store was the same. One charger worked, the other didn't. North York, neither worked.

Oddly, while I was at the Etobicoke store, a guy in a Volt was leaving, and I mentioned that I couldn't get a charge off the other charger, and he pulled forward and tried it in his car, and it worked. And my car worked in the other charger. So there seems to be something about the smart charging system and some Sun Country chargers. 

It's impressive to see the DC Fast Charging network getting built out. IKEA is upgrading all of their stations with DC Fast Chargers (hopefully they fix their Sun Country Highway units as well). I was at Pearson airport a couple of weeks ago, waiting for an arrival in the "cell phone lot" off-site, and there are TEN brand-new DC fast chargers installed in the lot there. Amazing.

I was at the local Loblaws the other day as well, and there was a Telsa Model S... with California plates. Clearly, things are going in the right direction.