GoGreenGo

Charging Issue

39 posts in this topic

On my car the Drive Sys. Engine Off message ended up needing a new battery. I had to wait almost 3 months for one to come in. Works fine now so far.

Hello, I found a damage to Smart Car Fortwo EV (2015-2017) OEM Pedestrian Warning Speaker 4519004902.
Cracked cable. The Mercedes did not find faults. They said a damaged battery and SAM module.

:D

On 10.05.2018 at 6:46 PM, Krzysztof said:

Hello, I found a damage to Smart Car Fortwo EV (2015-2017) OEM Pedestrian Warning Speaker 4519004902.

Cracked cable. The Mercedes did not find faults. They said a damaged battery and SAM module.

:D

Poradziles sobie ? mam ten sam problem 

I’m having a hard time figuring out why I can only get 50% charge on my 2015 SC for2 passion. I’m new to this whole thing and feel lost. The guy I bought it from didn’t  enlighten me to how things work. It only had 11000 mi on it so I don’t think he used it much. Anyway I have only tried charging at my home with 110v only. I’m missing the “know how” on why I can’t get a full charge. The computer on board tells me I might be good for maybe 63 mi

Im confused about mileage because I know it can go further then 63 mi. Help me Help me.........Thanks

"Estimated range" and "100% charge" are two different things.

You can charge the car to 100% on 120V like many of us here.  No worries.   Look at the round gauge on the top left of dash.   Read the manual if you can't find it.

Estimated range is just that.  Estimated.  Is not an accurate indicator of "how much you've charged".   I see estimated ranges that are wildly different depending on how I drive the car (hard or easy).

Ihlefeld - the range on a 2015 Smart Car Electric is typically about 63 miles (or 100km).   The 2017 and 2018 have higher range, i.e. about 80 miles (or 120 km) - though if you drive them carefully and don't do too many uphills you can get 10-20% more range than what I've quoted. 

Hi everyone,

I am new on this forum. Started to search the internet after having problems with my 2013 ED. I started to work in an other city beginning this year, at 50 km distance. Just too far away to do the out en return on one charge in winter with lights, heating and wipers on. So I used my Toyota Prius instead and put my Smart away in my garage, having 80% SOC. Last week I wanted to take it out but the 12V battery was flat. Connected another 12V battery with jump leads and the the dasboard lights came on but with an error that the engine was out. No SOC reading either. Had the LV battery charging overnight with 2 amp and the next that reading 12,6 Volt. But still no change in error massages on the dash. I had it transported to the Smart Center at MB.

They called me few days later with there "diagnosis" that the 12V batt was dead, and that the HV battery was dead also! The dealer contacted with MB and concluded that replacement would cost me € 22.500 incl. taxes!!! I bought the ED at age of 2 year for € 17.500.

Looking at the diy batterytester on this site, but testing alone would not help me out. My guess is that if the battery cells are slowly loosing there charge over time, one of them falls below a safety level and the software shuts down the entire battery. Maybe if the "bad" cell could be charged separate, or the entire HV battery could be charged bypassing the software ( having the relay in the battery close via a command on the CAN bus?) there is a possibility of recuperating the battery.  You don't throw your laptop battery away on the first occasion it is discharged ....

Hope you come up with some ideas, at least interesting to discuss.

Albert

Edited by albiesmart
misspellings

Sorry to hear this.   The car's user manual suggests plugging the car in when stored for long periods without driving.  Mercedes is not in the business of making the HV battery cheap for these now out of production cars, reason is that for every battery they sell for an old car, that's one less new car they can produce, they are battery cell production limited on these.   My only hope is they recycle everything out of the car, as the battery metals are worth a lot.

Getting same errors on my 2013 ED with 63K miles

Sometimes 12v batt disconnect resets it, last night a few diff things did not reset error.

My code scanner show crash sensor and precharge errors.

Last night quick moving gear lever seemed to reset the error, I was able to move out of park, the start car in neutral.

Now this am all worked as normal.

I have even gotten random messages of charge plug installed

On 8/7/2017 at 4:00 PM, ElectroSmarty said:

I am having this too. Just bought my 2014 used/lease return. Dealer was aware of BAP but they never sent the paperwork to Mercedes so now must sort that before I can get service. First 3 weeks 1K miles trouble free then did a short 20 minute charge while shopping and got the Drive Sys. – Engine off message. Plugged and unplugged the power cord and it went to ready and I could drive. Charged it fully. Next time different charger short 15 minute charge same message. Took 10 minutes of fiddling starting stopping to get it to start. Now it just happens randomly and so far I've been able to eventually get it to start. Once it starts it runs fine and I'm getting the full advertised range 3 bars of power. Now parked until I can get the BAP transferred to me and a service appointment. Hoping it won't need a new battery or that at least the wait time for a new battery has gone down. One month without a car will not be fun! Really disappointed as I'd done a lot of research and these cars seemed rock solid reliable.

IMG_0066.jpg

My car has same errors as yours, sometimes reset codes works, sometimes 12v batt disconnect and reconnect works, ( I have installed a switch for this)

Last night no charge or drive

I hope all are aware of the wire chaffing issue all of these cars can have, mine cost $500 to repair it was a wire against the frame issue I have a long write up from dealer for the repair.

Long story short, on inside wall of car behing right side seat the metal of the frame rubs and cuts wires in harness.

This should be manufacturer defect but they have once again gotten away with it.

Mine cause full failure of car, no start and stuck in park.

Some cars it causes brake issue, seems like it randomly cuts whatever wire rubs enough

1 person likes this

I had heard of a few reports of the wire chaffing issue a few years ago.

Good reminder for those still driving the 2013-2016 ED's.

I traded my 2013 ED for a 2017 453 chassis ED and have had no issues.

In fact, outside of $3, spent nothing on my two Smart ED's since Nov 2013.