Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turbomar

Alternate 450 Front Tire Size

14 posts in this topic

I will soon need new front summer tires. The OE size is 155/60r15. I came across an alternate tire size, 10mm wider and similar sidewall height so I suspect it will not cause ESP issues:

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicl...evo+75+bsw.html

Here's a tire size calculator if you would like to compare them:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc....60r15-165-55r15

I just looked it up, if your running the stock 4" front rims then:

[*]Ideally 145 or 155

[*]Minimum 135

[*]Max 165

To technically you should fit the 165's no problem, More grip less fuel economy ;)

1 person likes this

Wider tires aren't a problem I find with the speedo nor traction control. With the Brabus rims I'm running 225's on the rear, 175's in the front and the speedo is only off by 2km/hr according to the gps.

I just looked it up, if your running the stock 4" front rims then:

• [*]Ideally 145 or 155

[*]Minimum 135

[*]Max 165

To technically you should fit the 165's no problem, More grip less fuel economy ;)

I went ahead and bought the above tires for the steer axle. They do look a bit too fat for the OE wheel. However, the stability at all speeds is greatly improved. They are 20mm wider and are directional threads which should help in hydroplaning conditions.

The Canadian dollar fairing poorly over the US currency, this has become a less attractive option. I had these shipped to Ogdensburg, NY for $187 Canadian. The tires are made in Taiwan so Duty and HST are applicable at the border. However, the border officer was nice enough to let me through!

These tires combined with the front spacers and Eiback springs come up flush with the fender flares, giving a custom look. Pics to follow...

1 person likes this

I'm going the other direction this summer, trading in my 175 rears for 165s. Keeping my 155s up front. After using 145 all around on wide rims all winter (love the stretch look)

That's prefect Dillen, I'm thinking of getting some spacers this summer....kinda looking to move on from smarts but still attached. Looking at Fiat 500 (wifey wants yellow)

There is something about the stretch look combined with the 30 degree camber in!

Here's the fat look:

post-13038-0-59888700-1428071769_thumb.jpg

post-13038-0-79231300-1428071818_thumb.jpg

post-13038-0-58233800-1428071863_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I really hate the EXTREME stretched look, but you guys are doing it right. Those look fantastic.

I'm running 450 steelies on my 451 ED, and the offset puts the rear tires flush with the wheel arches, and it looks awesome. Really tempted to get spacers all around to bring all of my summer tires out the same way. It really looks fantastic, without adding the extra drag of wider tires, which i don't really want to do on the ED. What size spacers would i need to do this, and where do i get them?

Edited by darren

I have 20mm H&R spacers. They are one of the most expansive spacers but are precision machined and at the time, were the only ones I could get quickly. Today however, I am surprised at how different variations of kits are available:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XSMART+FORTWO+WHEEL+SPACERS+20MM.TRS0&_nkw=SMART+FORTWO+WHEEL+SPACERS+20MM&_sacat=0

Also, if my memory serves me well, 12x1.5 by 40mm shank lug bolts are required with 20mm spacers

Edited by turbomar

Still pretty expensive considering what you get. I could make them on my lathe for about $10/pair. The ones you see on eBay are all CNC machined - probably about a 3 minute cycle time with loading and tool changes.

Yeah, I remember paying a small fortune for the Eibach spacer kit I got when I switched to roadster front steelies on all four corners so I could run 185s in winter.

FWIW, 195s all around in summer is simply the bee's knees. High speed cornering is so neutral, and the Yokohamas and Bilsteins keep the car stuck like Krazy Glue.

I put 165/65R15 on all four and love the smooth ride it brought with the added height,

more tire sidewall absorbs more road bump than stock 175/55R15s and hence a quieter ride in bumpy roads.

I'm very happy with these Continental ProContact EcoPlus TX as seen here http://tires.pmctire.com/ent/continental-procontact-with-ecoplus-technology-tx-165-65r15-81t.tire

with very cheap shipping and my local tireshop installed on 4"rims and 6" rims no problem, fit in wheelwell no problem but I'm just 70kg, a fully weighted car might bring a rubbing issue

post-15570-0-08739400-1434841591_thumb.jpg

post-15570-0-36399400-1434841619_thumb.jpg

Edited by NelsonSmart