Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tango

Lexan Roof?

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if the lexan? roof of the Smarts has or had a clear coat on it at production. My roof at the very rear is starting to show streaks like a tree branch or something scratched it. No trees. they are about as wide as your pinky and they run the full width of the panel from side to side about 2 inches long and about 2 inches apart. It looks like a car wash brush went down it. I am the original owner and it has never seen the wash or the ttrees. Anyone else seeing a similar situation on the smart. I washed it and put scratch polish on it to no avail. Any suggestions. I would imagine the panel can be painted. thanks Skip

Welcome to the club. Not all of the panoramic roofs craze but a lot of them have and it seems to be sunlight related. smart USA will address the problem for cars under warranty; if the car is out of warranty, you're on your own. :)

Looked at the pictures of crazing or spider webs etc. but this is not the case on mine (yet) Wonder oh wonder what it could be. It actually looks like something was rubbing across the roof and has taken the luster off the acrylic, oh well Thanks for all your inputs. Is there anywhere in the forums that someone has actually painted the roof due to this crazing crap? thanks again Skip Sunny Crazed Florida :rolleyes:

I had mine replaced on warranty. It is crazing once again after 2 years. I'll live with it though.

I wouldn't think it could be painted as the solvents in the paint would soften the plastic.

The paint could also interfere with the bond to the roof and the roof might come off. This was a recall on the 2008 very early on in the production run (I don't know what serial no are included).

I can speak with experience. If the bond is messed with the roof WILL blow off. (This is my cars 3rd roof)

My crazing looks like many many sparkling cracks. Short (1/8 inch or less) and about 10 - 15 per square inch.

Im in the UK so only get strong sun in the summer months, and I have 3 Smart 451s, a 2010 CDI (Currently very ill with engine issues) my Converted 2008 passion ELectric and its sister 2008Pure converted electric that was wrecked 18months ago, all have severe crazing. Its such a shame, as there is seemingly little you can do about it. I have as yet to talk to my smart dealers about as they are too far to drive the electric one to, and the CDI wont make the end of the road before going to limp mode. (Lots of issues with it having been severely abused in its early life, dead turbo, blocked oil feeds and a blocked particulate filter, as well as having the inlet tract down to around 1/4 of its capacity with the gunge caused by the EGR system)You are not alone, but on a moonlit night it looks nice and starry, and I have the blind drawn most of the time anyway.Grumpy-b

From the smart USA FAQ:

2) Why does my panoramic roof craze?

This is due to UV exposure. Since the March 2012 production models, a new roof material has been introduced. It addresses the tendency to craze or crack as the old roof did from UV exposure. Please note this is not a safety concern -- it is purely cosmetic.

As for the roof adhesive failing (John K):

3) Why has my panoramic roof lifted off the tridion cell (glue failure)?

Glue failure may have been from using the wrong glue if your roof needed to be replaced. The applier needs to read the instructions carefully as there are two kits: one for the panoramic roof and one for the full roof. They look similar but will only bond properly for their designated roofs. For this reason, it's important to visit your local smart center to insure installation is done properly should it be needed.

:)

From the smart USA FAQ:

As for the roof adhesive failing (John K):

3) Why has my panoramic roof lifted off the tridion cell (glue failure)?

Glue failure may have been from using the wrong glue if your roof needed to be replaced. The applier needs to read the instructions carefully as there are two kits: one for the panoramic roof and one for the full roof. They look similar but will only bond properly for their designated roofs. For this reason, it's important to visit your local smart center to insure installation is done properly should it be needed.

:)

My smart centre sent the car to a third party shop for the roof replacement. They stated that the glass shop did not read the instructions carefully during the first install. So 3 months later they got some practice and did it again. With a free ride to Winnipeg on a flat bed truck. 750 km, ~500 mi.

I don't know why the went from tempered glass on the older smarts to polycarbonate on the newer ones, maybe to lower production cost. I work with plastics and I have seen this first hand and it is caused when the plastic experiences sudden temp. change from being hot to a sudden cold like washing your car on a hot sunny day with cold water from a hose,or if your car has been in the sun and you get in for a drive the wind will cause the temp. change, or from a chemical reaction from cleaners like alcohol that cause crazing on a themo formed plastic not right away but within a hours to a few mounths later.

Laminated glass would have been best of all, but too heavy and expensive for smart...I have seen many 450s with exploded roofs.

I had 2 roofs that went kaput on my 450's. Tree branch was the first one, stone chip was the second. Its been over a year in my coupe and still finding glass pieces. . its like glitter it doesn't simply go away.

Edited by dmoonen