Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aaragona22

A/c Diagnostic Check Tomorrow...

31 posts in this topic

HelloUnfortunately Im experiencing A/C issues similar to many who have posted in the past.Just as a quick note Ive called a MB dealer and booked an appointment to take the car in for a "diagnostic" inspection. The rep over the phone said they usually only offer the repair to the hoses for the original owner. My car is a 2005 Passion and I am the 3rd owner and the diagnostic could cost as much as 200 bucks just to look at it.My thoughts are, before they touch the car, have them commit to the repair free of charge. This way, at least the repair to the AC is worth the investment.Any thoughts of as to what I should say or handle the conversation with the service dept??OTHERWISE my idea is to just do a full Duracool service for 100 bucks..

That line about only offering the repair to the original owner is BS. If the hoses on your car haven't been replaced with the new hard lines, they should be replaced for free, no matter how many owners there have been before you. That being said, if your car already has the new hard lines and is STILL experiencing issues, they are under no obligation to repair it for free.

I had Mercedes "fix" the a/c in our smart six times.Fortunately, it was done under warranty, although the last "repair" involved "O" rings that they initially didn't think were covered by the extended bumper to bumper MB warranty. What crooks. Full MB service records and everything on time or better.Some swear by Duracool.If you really want it fixed (and remember it will never really cool the way a north american car generally does ), you might try START Electric on Dundas Street East (near Parliament). They will at least attempt an honest, proper repair. I've seen quite new Mercedes products being fixed for the factory dealership which is just a little farther down the road. They will use real Mercedes parts but stand behind what they do instead of the practiced infuriating indifference that Mercedes has perfected.

Do keep up posted about the outcome of this diagnosis. I will go through the same process at the Ottawa dealership as I also have a leak on my upgraded, hard lines.

Hello AllJust keeping everyone updated....so far the response is that AFTER taking the car in for 2hrs they said the hoses are not covered because this service bulletin was for cars 2007 and later!!! They also did a recall service on the door locks. Overall the experience so far has been either VERY good or poor, depending on the individual I'm speaking with. It seems that very few ppl at the dealership actually know what's going on with the Smarts...Does this make sense to anyone?I haven't picked up the car just yet...Thoughts?

In 2012 (I believe, I'll need to verify tonight), there was a bulletin to replace the A/C lines on 2005/2006 smarts with hard lines to address an issue where the coolant would leak out over the winter if A/C was not run. This was free of charge, and it should not matter if you are the first or fourth owner.I'll find my invoice tonight from when I had the work done myself, and see if there is a service bulletin number, and when it was actually done. Maybe someone else will have the details.What dealer are you having the issues with?

[Hey Flossy, thanks for the quick reply.It's Mississauga MB. Your service number might come in handy. I'm actually going to turn around and Wait for that info before picking the car up! The challenge I find with MB is I'm getting multiple different story's depending onWho I'm speaking with..

I am not the original owner of my 2005 Pulse, and Oakville MB took care of the problem at no cost to me. No questions asked. When I made the appointment to have the work done, they even supplied me with a no-charge loaner (brand new smart). Apparently, the answers you get will vary from dealer to dealer, and as you have mentioned, even amongst the service reps at a single dealership.

post-7529-1399058899_thumb.jpg

Here's what I had, basically matches what Leadwing posted. The one interesting thing on mine is the line "WAR MISCELLANEOUS". I'm assuming that WAR means Warranty, and not that I brought in a combat vehicle. It's possible that I was covered because the warranty was transferred to me back in 2007. Leadwing may have had the same. Because we're well out of the warranty zone now though, you wouldn't be able to transfer the (non-existant) warranty. Insist on talking to the service manager though - The car has defective lines no matter whose name the (non-existant) warranty is under.Good luck!

post-4936-1399064860_thumb.jpg

In the end they did an AC diagnostic to find the following:"113509 VERIFIED CONCERN -AC INOP, ATTACHED AC MACHINE, LOW SIDE 10PSI, SYSTEM EMPTY, RE-CHERGED VEHICLE WITH DYE, LOWERED REAR DRIVE MODULE! RE AND RE UNDER PANELS, *NOTE SOME SCREWS SEIZED, FOUND AC LEAKING AT LOW AND HIGH SIDE LINE QUICK CONNECT COUPLERS AND AC LINE FITTINGS"From what I understand the repair is NOT covered because I've missed the final date the car was eligible. So essentially they automatically recharged the system and it will slowly leak out. I find it ironic that they would charge a car with a known fault that HAD a service bulletin out to fix, only to let the gas leak into the atmosphere they are allegedly protecting! LolJust to be clear, the responses I've received in the last two days has been:The repair has already been done because there is no record in their system and I was good to go (Service guy 1)The car is not eligible because it was only for cars 2007- present (Service guy 1)The car is not eligible because I've missed the cut off date for the repair (Service guy 2)So my question at this point is, why would they have me do a diagnostic if the initial AC service bulletin is out dated?? In this case no matter what repair was required it would not be covered IF this is true.To many inconsistent story's. I've asked them to follow up with me on Monday with the specific service bulletin number and specific dates the car WAS eligible. Once I get these specifics, I will contact MB head office and cross reference. Fortunately I understand a little bit about the system and paying 270 bucks isn't going to kill me but this is not the point. I'm 100% certain there are/were other owners in my situation and probably just accepted the first BS excuse they were given. This is not right.They did provide a loaner and the service for this was great. I think it was because it just so happened some recall work needed to be done on the locks and they were running behind on all their appointments. I get it, my car is 9 years old but if this is a known issue and eligible for a repair, why does it take this much effort to get a straight answer. I just don't like being given a plate full of BS.To be continued...

I am assuming that AC/heat is totally different on the 451... Is this accurate?I don't really get a lot of heat and I think my AC maybe dying or dead. Hasn't been hot enough to be sure about this last.Would anyone advise against visiting an AC repair place as opposed to the dealer for a check up?

Posted (edited) · Report post

My 2005 450 was repaired with the hard lines under that MB recall FOC, now just around 2 years later no AC after being idle all winter.I think I'll give the small VW/Audi repairshop near my house some of my cash this time, the last visit to Ogilvie Motors for a repair left me feeling violated.....monetarily that is.

Edited by strawboss

Does anyone know if its illegal for a mechanic to charge an A/C system with freon if there is a known leak? Looks like 3 days later my a/c has gone caput! At this point during my next conversation I will be asking MB as to where exactly on the car is the leak coming from and how large/small are the holes...Has anyone used the Duracool system? Any advice with this stuff?

3 days suggests it's a bad one, so any refrigerant will go bye bye.

@ Aaragona22....I have used it & it works, as long as the leak is a slow one.I unintentionally used this fact to my advantage as the second to last service manager at the MB dealer was also a regular customer of mine & I was bragging one day to him on how I could recharge my AC at home.....every spring! <_< I got a look just like that, then he asked me to come in for a complimentary repair... :lol:

Edited by strawboss

I thought to update everyone on my experience now that this AC journey has reached a conclusion.The final result is the dealer said the car is not covered for any AC repair that was issued in the past for two main reasons:1. the fact the car is almost 10 years old2. the car does not have a maintenance record with MBThese two reasons actually make sense to me. If I was in the shoes of MB, I would probably have the same point of view. My frustration with the entire process is this information was not presented 3 weeks ago in the beginning of the process.It was only until I escalated the issue to the service manager (who was supposed to follow up with me after receiving the 5 different excuses!). When we connected on the phone, he had no idea of the situation and was able to get this info to me within 24hrs. Although I was disappointed with the response, the service manager did agree that it was not necessary to inspect the car in the first place (even though I was instructed to have the car inspected) and refunded the money paid for the 2 hrs of labor. In the end Im glad to know there is some integrity at the MB Dealer in Mississauga but you have to ensure you ask the proper questions to understand exactly whats going on with your car.This goes to show you that even at a high end dealer, customer service can be spotty and you need to not get fooled by the fancy appearance of high end finishes and 150k cars in a show room. Because of this forum I was well informed, asked the right questions and am sure the service guys could tell that a BS answer would not hold water with me.Thank you to everyone who provided comments and guidance thru this process. I hope this experience encourages other smart owners to do some of their own homework prior to getting their Smart serviced - Even at MB Canada!Now its off to the garage to install my duracool kit!!!

Edited by Aaragona22

throw us an update and opinion on the home kit please?our green smart's a/c compressor had to be rebuilt couple of years ago and it sits parked over the winters. Last summer nice air, this year zip.checked the compressor today and it wont even start, probably empty system.

I use Duracool as well...have to charge it every year, but it last till the fall without any issues.

I was reading thought all the posts and was wondering what I should do about my A/C not working. We bought the car used, from a private seller, and realized that the A/C belt was missing. My husband put one on and then the car wouldnt even start. He thinks that the A/C compressor may be seized. Could there be any other reason for the car not starting at all when the A?C belt was put on? We don't want to spend a fortune finding out whats wrong with it, the dealerships charge so much just diagnose it. Any other things my husband should check ?Thanks! we have an 05 cdi

Edited by jletual

Did the compressor turn by hand without the belt? That would be a good indication.

I'm pretty sure my A/C lines were replaced a couple of years ago and the A/C is blowing lukewarm again this spring. Time to make another call...

this week picked up the Red Tek kit at CTC. Hose should be longer to reach the low pressure side valve. Pulled the front panel off to reach easily. Attached the hose and only a couple of pounds of pressure left in system, explains why compressor not turning for this car. Kit came with 2 cans of refrigerent but only needed less than one can to get to the recommended 30-38 psi level.Nice cold a/c in green car again. Will see how it goes.

[My AC stopped working after the first winter I had the car. Brought it into MB while still under warranty and was told they couldn't find any leaks. They charged me $100 to recharge the system and told me they've never heard of any updated lines.The next spring same thing. The car was now out of warranty. Tired of dealing with Mercedes I bought the Red Tek kit.This spring it still blows cold. Go figure. :huh:

Three days after the independent garage's repair the AC stopped cooling so took it back and they found a leaky Schrader valve on the low pressure side of the system ( no real explanation was given as to why it wasn't found during their leak-down check unless of course, one wasn't done.... :rolleyes: )I think this is the valve the DIY's use to recharge the AC Duracool way.No charge for the 2nd re-charge or the second "diagnostic" but they did charge to replace the leaking Schrader valve, any one know how to check and/or clean the evaporator coils?Might be helpful to make our AC systems as efficient as possible.....

Edited by strawboss

******Update******Hello all,AC is still blowing cold! (Thank goodness!!)Looks like the Duracool kit has worked.The kit I purchased was the one with the duraseal can included. The only issue I have is that at idle the air temp increases and is no longer cold. While driving the air can get nice and cold... Any ideas why this can be? Anyone else experience this and know of a fix?Perhaps I just need another bottle to add some more Duracool refrigerant??