Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bddadles

My Turn For An Oil Leak

6 posts in this topic

Good morning, This is my first post to please bear with me. I have a 2009 Passion with 30K miles on it. I have been reading about oil leaks around the pan and pulling it off and resealing. I put it on ramps yesterday to look and try to find the leak (drip) and I came to the conclusion that there is no way on Gods green earth that I'm going to try to pull that pan. Maybe I should also mention that I'm a full time Rver and have no place to work or the proper tools. Still not going to attempt it. Now my question. It appears to drip from the bottom edge of the pan and I can not see any other wetness. Is there any product I can put on the OUTSIDE to stop the drip after it is cleaned? No I'm not going to use JB weld. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Brad

My guess (and underline that) would be that anything that will not stick like JB weld would (and creating more problems in the future), would not be able to create a proper seal.Has anyone under similar circumstances tried re-torquing the screws to see if a better seal can be had? I know this works with old fashion valve covers sometimes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Only way to fix it is to remove the pan and reseal it with a gasket or a special gasket maker. JB weld on the outside isnt a good good idea since its just a band aid and wont actually work because the leak will travel along the seam.

Edited by dmoonen

I do agree try retorquing the bolts around the pan could vary well fix the leak as over time the bolts could of lossened.

I do agree try retorquing the bolts around the pan could vary well fix the leak as over time the bolts could of lossened.

I have retightened the pan bolts (that was to easy). I put from a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn on each bolt and the drip slowed. I also went to the auto parts store and got a tube of oil resistant Permatex. Within the next couple of days I'll crawl under there and clean it again and apply some of this sealer. I'll let you know how things turn out.Thanks.Brad

Well I finally got around to checking the drip again after tightening the pan bolts. It went down to a mere seep. Since then I applied some oil resistant Permatex to all of the area that I can reach. It is now down to a single drop hanging under the pan after it is parked. I consider this a victory. Thanks for the help guys.Brad