Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
houseofdiesel

Install Child Seat In Cabrio

4 posts in this topic

I know this has been covered in the past, but searching around shows a lot of time has passed...First, my local Mercedes dealer will not even discuss it, no interest and actual hostility towards the topic. In Ontario you MUST deactivate the airbag for children (law), one thing to figure out-remove the air bag or unplug. The owners manual is very misleading there also, it just says move the seat all the way back!Second, there is no latch for the tether strap despite what the owners manual shows/says (I have two cabrios, neither has one). All child seats require them.Third, the latch system is not present although the seat belt does retract and lock. Fourth what about the seat side airbag, the laws are so old/outdated it is not mentioned. Reason for doing this? I am a stay at home Dad, with one in JrK and one at home (3), I hate using the family mover to go places like the park or playground when the smart would do during the dayI never otherwise get to drive it, averaging less then 2000kms a year. Honestly not enough to bother paying insurance, it should just be stored away until both kids are in school!I see the latch seat anchors can be ordered from Europe for little money, but not sure about were to install a tether strap anchor that is considered secure enough. I don't think the airbag disabler is available anymore (0022503V001000000) as the dealer would not help. I cannot remember the last time somebody sat in the passenger seats, years anyways so it would be strictly for a child seat nobody else. The seat would be there all the time until the kids outgrow it. Any new ideas?

I think Bill removed his seat completely a couple months prior to his passing, I think he made his own connection for the side airbag to unplug/disable it, my guess is that the front airbag is the same but I haven't tried it so I cant say for sure. The thread lies in the abyss, I'll try and find it