Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kdubya

Alternative Fuels

12 posts in this topic

I've always heard claims of how a diesel can burn almost anything, and read all kinds of articles on how its the best thing for your engine, and will destroy it too. SO I decided to throw caution to the wind and try it. Who know, worse cause scenario I blow it up and get to buy a new car. Lucky me.

After much research, I decided to use a blend of used hydraulic oil and diesel; so far. I have an almost unlimited source of very high quality, used, filtered (to 10 microns) Tellus S4 VX 32. I mixed it 50/50 today and filled my tank with pretty much a full 20L, and went for a good long drive. It seemed to work better, although maybe it was just me, and my mileage seemed to be really good too. I drove over 170 km and have not quite burnt 2 blobs, although I'm sure its almost there.

I got courage from watching Dieselkiki's video on running his on veggie oil. Other than smelling a bit funny on start up, it seems like a good start.

Anyone else have experience running alternative fuels? Any thoughts or opinions on my experiment? The auto-ignition point is not much higher than diesel. I poured a mason jar of my mix and watched it for a couple days before using it, and it stayed uniformly mixed. I even stuck it in my freezer, and even below zero it still looks only as viscous as diesel itself.

For the record, this particular hyd fluid is meant for operating up to -50C, and will not get too viscous in winter. Here are a couple links about it:

http://www.shell.com/content/dam/shell/sta...us-s4-vx-32.pdf

http://www.mil-specproducts.com/documents/...us_s4_vx_32.pdf

post-14411-1400991966_thumb.jpg

It's not the engine that is the issue, it is the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Good luck to you but I wonder how long the experiment will last.

Like I said, the viscosity is not noticeably different, I will confirm by testing it. But the oil is meant for arctic conditions, and is very low vis. The hyd oil is mineral oil with <3% dmso additive. Dmso is a sulfur additive (similar to that which used to be an additive in diesel). The oil is filtered smaller than diesel you buy at the pump, so I wonder how its harder on my pump and injectors?

One way to find out...

Well, I'm no stranger to learning things the hard way, lol. I'll be sure to post updates as the summer progresses.

First tank burnt, 488km, didn't take a whole Jerry can. After 19L it came out the side. 3.9L/100km. And runs no different than straight fuel. Will run one more tank of 50/50, then moving to a stronger mix.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It will run! ;) From the middle of april, I feed my 260000km cdi with 4L of used engine oil (0w40 and 5w30 mobile1) on every fill. I was realy impressed about how there's absolutely no more smoke to the tail pipe! Combustion is still clean and performances are almost the same! I expect that they will pay us when we will bringing back our wasted engine oil in some years as it is now for used waste cooking oil.But anyway, this engine can run on a wide range of fuel. And that's why I appreciate diesel engines. N.B.: I still drive my car with all original injection system. I just replaced an injector at 87000km but I don't think there was a link with my injector solenoid open circuit and the fact that I feed m'y car with other fuel than petro diesel.

Edited by dieselkiki

My injectors were changed about 1000 km ago, I don't expect any issues, I filter it well. On a side note, it just so happens my neighbor works at a facility where they recycle waste oil into fuel for industrial purposes. I gave him a sample of my blend and he performed a retort test on it. Basically it heats the fuel to around 1400F and analyzes it as it burns. My sample was 100% oil (of course) meaning there was 0% water, 0% solids. It was a clean burn and left no residue. He said is was a very good sample. One I burn the ~1000 L of hyd/diesel blend I have I'd like to start using veggie oil as well. My French is a bit rusty, did you mention in your video that you do anything to the oil before you burn it? Or just filter it and add it to your tank? I have the advantage of having 2 1000L plastic totes for my oil, one to store, and one to transport. So it would be easy to filter and blend the oil before using it.

post-14411-1401771331_thumb.jpg

Just an update, I ran this stuff all summer and fall, put roughly 20,000km on the car with no issues. Only recently when temps hit -30C it wouldn't start, and I couldn't hear the fuel pump running. I thought maybe it was too think, but the jerry can I sloshed around didn't seem that way. I am running 50/50 with diesel. I burnt the tank down and filled up with normal diesel and fuel conditioner and still had issues starting and couldn't hear the pump. I'll give it another tank of pure diesel before I start wondering if I have another problem....I'm tempted to say its not the fuel however.

For my blend its possible at -30, but it doesn't explain to me why its happening with straight diesel. In Grande Prairie we switch to winter fuel August/September, and I put a healthy amount of fuel conditioner in every tank anyhow.

And once the car is running, its runs 100% weather its diesel, or my crap oil blend. Just doesn't like starting.

So it turns out I needed to do the fuel pump relay, this issue wasn't fuel related.

I ran clear diesel all winter because I installed a Webasto and it doesn't like burning oil. Not one starting problem all winter.

I switched back to oil blend (as I affectionately call 'crap oil") for the spring/summer/fall today. The oil sat all winter. I mixed it up and filled the tank. Still running strong.