Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wild!

Why Did You Buy Your Smart?

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was looking for a new used car something good on gas and small, Didn't think I was going to buy a Smart. Well were I work some one knew that was looking for a car and said If I ever considered a Smart, I have herd of them but never looked at one up close, Well she said mine is for sale and it's just outside. She should have been a sales person the way she presented the car. I liked the look, It was all black, had Brabus rims, and a convertible, just looked different than the others I seen. She said her x had ordered it that way at the time. I asked why she was selling it, she want a bigger car something for 4 people. It only the first to weeks and I fell for the car in a big way and I don't for see ever selling it. I also like the idea that I don't see that many out there, and you stand out in a crowd. B)

Edited by Wild!

I had been driving Toyotas since 1971 and wanted something completely different. Plus also wanted a diesel. So I bought a smart in 2006.Roy

We tested a smart cabriolet in July 2002 and were on a waiting list for 908 days before our car was delivered to us on January 8, 2005. The package of unparalleled economy, character and fun was irresistible.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My father had one in the showroom at Magna as a present in the 90's before they we're on the market. Grew up seeing it and later when I was older bought one :P

Edited by dmoonen

I was spending $150+ a week in fuel driving my truck to work and decided it was enough. The smart was the most economical vehicle I could find. Since I'm capable of handling the maintenance issues myself with the car it was a no-brainer. I now spend less than a 3rd in fuel and my maintenance costs are actually lower than they were with my Ranger. I'm very pleased with my choice. Especially now that I saw $1.39/L on a gas station sign today. :o

I changed jobs and knew I was going to start putting on high mileage, my truck had 300K plus on it, and although an older small manual 4 cyl hence better real-world mileage than you can buy today in Canada... But I digress, it was an old ugly useful reliable efficient-for-a-truck but totally unsuitable for my new needs.246K later I still love my smart.

In 2005 when we were still students my wife and I took one for a test drive in Halifax. It was a 2005 CDI, had a iphone dock and paddle shifts. We thought it was pretty cool. Its been a running joke in our marriage ever since that we would someday buy one. Every time my work vehicle would quit we would jokingly say "we should get a smart". Well this October my Jetta died in a big way and I got on Kijijil. I found mine for only $4G and snatched it up.

Back in 2008 gas was nudging 1.30 a litre or more, so I started looking for a smaller vehicle but didn't want to sell my truck, a short driveway meant that was all filled by said truck, the garage was filled with a fishing boat that I was too cheap to store in a commercial storage facility, so I got my tape measure out & figured I had room for 10 feet worth of car!Only one like that,right?!I never planned on driving it in the winter so this was to be basic dead storage but I soon found it was Ok driving in the winter so the truck just gets driven around in deep snow or to pull my boat.

Long (love) story short:First test-drove my first smart in Paris in summer 1999. It was called "Smart City Coupé" at that time, and the Diesel engine was not available yet. I purchased the model pictured below before leaving the dealer's store.Since then, I kept daydreaming until I could afford to make my dream come true in May 2007. I definitely wanted the diesel model, not the gasser. Today, my precious blue little thing is part of the family, but has become a second car for obvious reasons. The idea of letting this car go is a perfect taboo for me. One regret though: I'm not driving her as much and as far I used to (68K km only so far...) :whistle:

post-6508-1401926403_thumb.jpg

In 2007 our faithful Jetta tdi was giving us some electrical troubles that were completely intermittent (CANBUS communication) and would not start, just crank. At the time VW was no longer offering diesel models with no future in site due to emission standards becoming tougher. I had dreamed of a smart and looked at the dealership once or twice, then my wife said yes time for a second car since the Jetta was becoming problematic. I started looking around, wanted a base model without a/c, found most of the remaining new stock was in Montreal, we went for a drive and bought a cabrio, they took our first offer. I think there were around 6 cars remaining at the time still new stock for all of eastern Canada, late October 2007. The gas models were just arriving and in the showroom. I figured we should get a diesel while you still can, the diesel future was not bright at the time...times have changed! Since then the smart is our pleasure car, summer use only, the Jetta has since been figured out and working daily, the smart gets around 2-3000kms a year (around 24000 so far).

Safer more practical alternative to buying a motorcycle, and tired of driving junk north american cars and trucks.....

The first time I saw one I wanted one but they were unavailable in Canada (Mexico only at that time). I was starting a new business in 2004 (Smarts On Site (SOS)) PC maintenance etc for SMBs; the business plan was done and things were rolling along when MB announced that they were bringing the smart to Canada. HELLO! I already wanted one, and this dove-tailed nicely with my business plans. Win-Win. I signed up in May 2004 and took delivery in March 2005. I love my diesl fortwo.

Fit the budget, and always liked cars that were "unusual". My last three cars included a 1979 Fiat spider (until 2 years back) and a 1992 mercedes 190 E, which was replaced by the Smart.Also, my wife has a Mazda 3 which is more than enough for 200 Km + trips.

Took a test ride in 2005 when they first arrived. Loved it from the start. When we started talking $$$'s, the cost kinda put me off, like "thanks, but I think I will stick with my old Honda for a while"Fast forward a few years and there were some more reasonably priced used units out there, so again, I took a test ride. It still had the same appeal and this time, the price was more acceptable.5 years later, and I still have it. Liked it so much, that I bought a second one a couple of years later.The fun factor is still alive and well and living in my garage.BTW, I kept the Honda. It's what I use when I need a "big" car.

Saw one when they were new and thought it looked like fun. Loved the colour. Diesel engine really pushed me over the edge.

I loved Hayek's concept. More than 90% of cars on the road are carrying only their driver. That's just plain wasteful! He wanted a 2 seat vehicle that would be more practical.It's still true today. Stand on a corner and count the cars that go by with only a driver , I'll bet it's still 9 out 10.Before the smart I owned a 1984 Mazda B2200 that had a diesel engine and got 7l/100km. It was a simple, efficient vehicle, and a great commuter, but the majority of the time the cargo capacity wasn't used.Along comes the rear engined smart that was diesel - I just knew I had to have it and the rest is history. And now for the challenge of keeping it on the road for another 10 years :D

They are cheap on gas........fun to drive........easy to park........cost $200 a year in maintenance (sorry about you diesel owners).......are fun to drive......easy to park......cheap on gas.......cost $200 a year in maintenance (sorry about you diesel owners).......They are cheap on gas........fun to drive........easy to park........cost $200 a year in maintenance (sorry about you diesel owners).......are fun to drive......easy to park......cheap on gas.......cost $200 a year in maintenance (sorry about you diesel owners).......Oh....and two bus passes here in Calgary cost $200 a month......which is the monthly lease payment for a no frills coupe.

Oh....and two bus passes here in Calgary cost $200 a month......which is the monthly lease payment for a no frills coupe.

(Sorry about your 20 minute wait in minus 35C temps and 70 kph winds in the winter at the bus stop) :lol:

I had been introduced to the whole smart concept back in the late '90s when one of the illustrators at the firm i worked for contributed to a book called "Reduce to the Max" which was how the whole smart mobility concept was introduced to the world. I was intrigued by small urban mobility vehicles and how they envisioned it fitting into a larger transportation infrastructure.When i finally heard they were coming to Canada, we were still living in downtown Toronto, and only really needed one car, but it had to be more practical than having a single smart city car. But a short time later, our jobs changed, and we found ourselves looking for more space, which led us out of the city and into the western GTA… we needed a second car so i could get to the train station. There was pretty much no other choice. Nearly 9 years later, we have had zero regrets. The efficiency and fun have been fantastic. ("Smiles per gallon," as we like to say.) Not to mention all the great people we've met as a result of having this crazy little car.

Edited by darren

I have pretty much always driven very small and/or unusual cars. I had an original Mini Cooper S, a Honda N600 sedan, Fiat 600 suicide door coupe, etc. The smart is the smallest car currently available on sale and I had to have one. My current small fleet of weird and wonderful is a 2009 smart Brabus coupe, a 1983 JZR British three wheel cycle car, (think Morgan Areo Sports), and a 1923 Ford Model T street rod. None over ten feet long.

Leadwing..........That still beats waiting 3-6 hours for the CAA to come and boost your car in that weather......LOL !!!

I have that "Reduce to the Max" book! It's a weird one...

I just love the two diesels I have had and I only wish the first one wasn't written off nearly two years ago, because it would have been pushing 350,000 km by now. It was nearly at 250K and was very reliable.

I have always driven fast cars, but with the escalating horsepower in cars today. I was looking for something that I could drive with aggression that wouldnt get me a speeding ticket. I also wanted something electric that was small, and didnt have too much electronic garbage in it. I also liked that Smarts are not so common, and having something different is always cool. Now I can step on the gas, and it isnt a felony. Yay!!!! I also think Smart is a nice big FU to consumerism, at least to me it is. It isnt trying to impress someone with a label. I like that, just a pure car to drive...........

I wanted an electric car, but was a little hesitant to fork out the $$$ without any past experience. I bought the ED sight unseen because at the time it was the cheapest one on the market. I put my deposit on it over a year in advance and got the first one that came to Canada. Great little car, and can't beat the economy. I'm surprised how much I like it after having switched from a CLK55.

1 person likes this