Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Play At Rf Wheel

7 posts in this topic

When I was working on the white smart last weekend I noticed that there is some play in the right front wheel, probably not much but I thought it could be a ball joint. This evening I had a closer look and the play seems to be coming from the upper strut mount. Without whipping the nose cone off, does that sound plausible?

If you have a deep 21 mm box wrench and a 7 mm hex socket on a ratchet you can tighten the top nut a bit. The top rubber spring cup insert sits against the tridion and the upper pull stop, but there is a lot of rubber around the pull stop. The new ones have even more rubber and it's possible when you installed the BRABUS struts these were used. Perhaps they need some tweaking?

Pretty sure Mike didn't install the strut. He has a real Brabus, not a bunch of parts.

The dealer installed the sports suspension 2 years ago, it could be a tad loose. I will have a look!

Pretty sure Mike didn't install the strut. He has a real Brabus, not a bunch of parts.

He has a real Canadian "tailor made" BRABUS from Bottrop, but the Canadian BRABUS models all came with the standard suspension found on all Canadian 450s.

Brabus is just more fancy, the the heart and bones of the car are the same as any 450.

Both upper shocker nuts were indeed loose! Very loose! Ironic considering how many times I have read about seized ones here!So I tightened them down with a dab or two of blue loctite today as well as doing a whole bunch of other things I had been meaning to do, like polishing the spoiler to get rid of most of the micro abrasions and injecting some cavity wax and so on.