Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colsmart

How Do You Solve Wipers Not Parallel?

9 posts in this topic

Recently my wipers became non parallel when they are in parked position. They work ok, but visually does not look good

On the 451 you cannot get at the nut to re-adjust the wiper arms, as only half the hole is showing, the other half is blocked by the vent plastic trim below. So tools cannot get in there, to undo the nut.

Anyone sorted this out on their own Fortwo?

Do you have to remove the vent trim below, its held by a few torx screws seen when you remove front cover off the car, but do not know if there are any hidden screws as the trim bends round the sides of the car, or if its just clipped in there.

It makes an easy job look hard.

Posted Image

It seems to be quite a common problem on Fortwo's older than three years old, as I have seen quite a few with the same problem.I think miss-alignment of the wipers are to do with wiper clash, when strong side winds can cause the wipers to hit together. My wipers clashed twice with a bang last winter.

One question though: Apart from eBay, where else can I find that kind of clip? Does it have any specific name?

Think ebay is your best bet, seems like an aftermarket tool from the UK not carried by larger brands. Just research "Wiper Repair Clip" a UK link would pop up also "linkage repair clip".

Posted (edited) · Report post

Think ebay is your best bet, seems like an aftermarket tool from the UK not carried by larger brands. Just research "Wiper Repair Clip" a UK link would pop up also "linkage repair clip".

Think we are taking about two subjects here.The repair clip is just to hold the 'under bonnet' linkage together, ie, if one of your wiper arms has failed to move, due to linkage coming apart.My problem is not that, its just the wipers are are now miss-aligned a bit, but working fine. They just do not look tidy, not parallel.On the 450, you can get at the nuts easily to remove and readjust the wiper arms, but on the 451 which I have, you need to remove the vent trim below the arms, as it obstruct access to the nuts.This is the reason I was asking on this thread, to see if anyone has re-adjusted the wiper arms on a 451 and if you removed the vent trim for access, and if there are any hidden bolts at the wrap round parts at either end of the vent trim, or is is just remove all the torx bolts holding the vent trim and then pull out. Edited by Colsmart

If you open it up and actually play with the linkage you'll see the bushing has a tiny bit of play, that little bit of play causes them to be misaligned. The play is up and down movement on the bushing, the clip holds it down limiting the movement so that there shouldn't be any misalignment unless the bushing is completely murdered. The clip will also work is the linkage has fallen appart completely as you have mentioned holding it back together, both is really just an band aid.Now I forgot about this but lawn mowers (lawn tractors) have ball joints for their steering linkage, my linkage crapped out a couple years ago and the repair guy installed a clip on my lawn mower. There's a good chance that lawnmower repair shops have them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I also have a problem, but i look like the thread is destroy... Anyone had already solve this or change that part ??

Posted Image

And a video.. :

Edited by David_18