Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TroyNilson

Wiring In The Fogs - Smart 450

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

While I was recharging my AC last week I saw a wire just under the low pressure nozzle. I'm assuming it's for the fog lights because the exact same wire is on the other side. If I plug in an H11 bulb will it work? Or is there more than just plug and play to make them work?And just while I'm on a new post, I got a new thermostat and Tolsen's restrictor plug put in on Friday. My car used to never reach temp, but now it heats to about 96 Celsius, then drops down and sits at 89 Celsius within about 2km (but has taken as far as 5.5km, sitting in rush hour averaging 15km/h) of driving. If you don't have it, I'd strongly reccomend it! Thanks, Troy

Edited by TroyNilson

The other end of that (ignoring the SAM of course) is behind the useless dashboard dimmer switch. Just pop out the switch, fish around for the loose connector, and swap it into the switch. You don't really use the dash dimmer function anyway, do you? It is virtually the same switch as the OE fog lamp switch, with a different picto and no telltale LED. The OE fog switch can be had from your MB parts counter for around $36 if you really want it. The key is to find lamps that fit the grille where your Canadian turn signals currently reside, and to move the turn signals back to the headlamp clusters where they are in the rest of the world (and where they belong).

[i bought new headlight housings and they came with the euro amber bulbs in them already. I messed up the dimmer switch when I installed my Double DIN Nav deck, so I'm probably going to have to spend the $36, but if it's that difficult I'm probably just going to skip it. I have low and high beam 6000k HID's. Pretty much day time driving down a dark road. Just wanted the fogs for looks! Thanks anyways :)

Not terribly difficult, a small project. The OE smart fog lamps are rubbish, though, and too expensive. There is a vendor in michigan on eBay who sells the Hella Micro DE fog lamps for a discount, and a member here who can make stainless steel brackets to mount them in the correct location.

I saw some fish eye fogs on eBay for the Roadster, brackets and all. I think they're S-Mann, and I've been happy with all their products I've ordered. I might give those a shot! As long as they're long enough to hold an HID bulb I'd be happy :)

Those are from S-smart in Taiwan, and are knockoffs of the Hella Micro DE fogs, which are H3 housings. The real deal works out cheaper from Michigan, even with the stainless mounting brackets.

The stainless mounting bracket dude can't do them anymore. Shame; I have a set as spares and they are nice.

If "I" am that dude I can still make them, ( needs to be outside of regular production ;-) ) and I have a few sets still available. It seemed like there was no more interest, or everyone that wanted them, had them.Roger

The stainless mounting bracket dude can't do them anymore. Shame; I have a set as spares and they are nice.

I'm still interested in a set; my plastic Michalak housings are starting to crack again (the first set was cracked before the front end collision destroyed them).

I remember you selling them before, but could we get a reminder on the cost for a set of the brackets? I may be interested in two sets.

I will be able to make more of these, $30.00 CDN including shipping within Canada. It maybe a week or more before I can get these cut because we are busy production wise. Send me a PM with your address if you are still interested. I accept PayPalThanks,Roger

The parts have been cut and ready to go ...

I will be able to make more of these, $30.00 CDN including shipping within Canada. It maybe a week or more before I can get these cut because we are busy production wise. Send me a PM with your address if you are still interested. I accept PayPalThanks,Roger