Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmarteeBluey

Scangauge Vs Turbo Gauge Iv

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looking at getting a Scan Gauge for my Smart.

Noticed this one on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131125602498

Newest TurboGauge IV Auto Computer Scan Tool Digital Gauge 4 in 1 Free Shipping

Any thoughts, besides a better price? :unsure:

Edited by SmarteeBluey

I wouldn't personally touch it. Cheap device plugged into my ecu no thank you.

I don't know a lot about the TurboGauge or Scangauge, except the Scangauge is crazy expensive for what you get. So, lemme stir the pot a little :P

I have an UltraGauge on my '05 450 CDI and it works very well. I've had it for almost two years and, except for a couple of initial setup errors on my part, has run flawlessly. It can monitor 44 gauges on my particular car but I only use 15 or so. Is it cheap? Not in my opinion but it is inexpensive. B)

Check out http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

It`s crazy easy to rip off someone else`s work and then charge less. (referring specifically to the TurboGauge, the ripoff cloners who can't even come up with their own colour scheme for the packaging)Do you know how many hundreds of report submissions I had to turn into eBay over the years to get people to stop abusing the ScanGauge brand name? People would try to list their knock-offs and refer to 'Scan gauge' in the listing title.... or post a competing product. We finally go them all to stop doing that. It's now up to Linear Logic though to go after the makers of things like the Turbo Gauge... but it's a big time commitment.... never mind cost if you want the courts involved.... and by then it's usually too late. The best chance is to use the VERO program at eBay to at least shut down the listings.

I've never been able to try an UltraGauge... I bought a Kiwi back in the day and was so disappointed in the $250 device I swore I would never buy another gauge to test again...... that was a 'terminal loss' on my tax return, LOL.....

For those with Android phones there is an option to read all data and codes.

I bought ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter for $10 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321306494963?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and Torque pro from Google play for $5

post-13989-0-45250700-1409246663_thumb.jpg

Fully customizable with nice interface

post-13989-0-16087900-1409246694_thumb.jpg

post-13989-0-39580400-1409246719_thumb.jpg

and tones of data

post-13989-0-52841500-1409246729_thumb.jpg

post-13989-0-08772000-1409246749_thumb.jpg

post-13989-0-85735400-1409246769_thumb.jpg

with a free plugin you can use your phone as an ondash trip video recorder

post-13989-0-99208700-1409246808_thumb.jpg

post-13989-0-64173800-1409246796_thumb.jpg

And when you read fault codes it gets you directly to the web for more info. After that you can clear them.

So, what do you think?

This is what i have - 450. You can set different profiles ( both diesel and gas). I use it also on my Dodge Caravan. Works very good.

The best part is there is no cable to connect. The adapter works via Bluetooth and does not interfere with hands free calling. Torque runs in the background all the time so even if you don't view it on your cellphone it records all the data. The combination of the adapter and the app is capable of more functions then scangauge and looks much nicer. This is the future - we will controll everything with our cellphone.

Thats the plug type, non-can? The can plugs can cause some electrical problems like the odometer jumping foward along with esp problems. Had my OD jump forward by almost 11K on my coupe.

I personally prefer scangauge just due to the company that backs them up. Initially if you buy one off the shelf it comes with the wrong cable, shoot them an email and they'll send you a proper one free.