Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doozy

Fast Flasher?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all, we have a 2005 smart diesel with 130,000 kms on it, it still smells new!

I just noticed that when I turn on the right hand turn signal, it flashes fast, I'd say at least twice the speed of the left. It sounds faster inside, it looks faster inside and outside, ie it is noticeable.

I searched here but didn't find anything related to this, if you know of the issue, please let me know.

Many thanks, Mark in Montreal

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/112289.html

You've got a burnt out turn signal on the right side somewhere. On a non-modified coupe, there are three bulbs - In the grill at the front, and the top two bulbs in the back cluster. Turn your signal on, and see which one isn't flashing.

You've got a burnt out turn signal on the right side somewhere. On a non-modified coupe, there are three bulbs - In the grill at the front, and the top two bulbs in the back cluster. Turn your signal on, and see which one isn't flashing.

Just an additional comment.I had water incursion into my SAM and corrosion on the connector pins.After repairing my SAM, my turn signals on one side blinked very much more quickly than normal. After about 30 seconds, they slowly returned to their normal rate.I interpreted this as corrosion or oxidation on the connector pins going to the SAM.

That's it, a burned bulb on back right, the one below the top. I guess when we looked the first time we didn't notice there are 2 bulbs that flash on each side at the back. Thanks Flossythesmart.Next question, can I replace that myself, if so, where do I get the bulb? If not, any idea what Mercedes is going to charge me?This is the first flasher bulb that has burned out on the car. Headlights are another story, I think we have replaced 5. cheers, Mark in Montreal

Yep, replaceable yourself. See here for coupe instructions, cabrio should be similar enough that these instructions will help:

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=...cal&mod=437

Someone else may be able to help you regarding the exact bulb to use. If it's anything like the middle bulb on the coupe, you won't be able to find the exact bulb anywhere but the dealer, but it only costs $2-3.

On a cabrio, open the tail gate and fold up the cabrio hatch. You'll see a black, plastic 10 mm nut on the inside flange of the tail lamp assembly. If you look into the small gap between the forward edge of the lens and the tridion (the wavy section) you'll see what look like two nubs. These are little plastic hooks. Remove the nut, hen gently but firmly lever the assembly away from the car. It's hard to describe but you will get a feel for it. Unplug the connector, then press the two tabs to separate the lamps from the lens assembly and replace the bulb(s). Installation is the reverse, but again be aware of the two plastic hooks on the outside leading edge. In most cases you have to gently (but again, firmly) engage these two hooks then try to get the hole on the other side over the stud. You'll see what I mean. On my car, one side just pops on, the other is frustrating. Just remember, it's a French car, not German or Japanese.

Just remember, it's a French car, not German or Japanese.

Super! Thanks for the detailed help, I will get on this, this week. My wife is French, I will enjoy letting her read this. :DCheers, Mark

Posted (edited) · Report post

On a cabrio, open the tail gate and fold up the cabrio hatch. You'll see a black, plastic 10 mm nut on the inside flange of the tail lamp assembly. If you look into the small gap between the forward edge of the lens and the tridion (the wavy section) you'll see what look like two nubs. These are little plastic hooks. Remove the nut, hen gently but firmly lever the assembly away from the car. It's hard to describe but you will get a feel for it. Unplug the connector, then press the two tabs to separate the lamps from the lens assembly and replace the bulb(s). Installation is the reverse, but again be aware of the two plastic hooks on the outside leading edge. In most cases you have to gently (but again, firmly) engage these two hooks then try to get the hole on the other side over the stud. You'll see what I mean. On my car, one side just pops on, the other is frustrating. Just remember, it's a French car, not German or Japanese.

Hi Francesco, yes, it was fiddly to get off. Here is the strange part, the plastic is red, the bulb is yellow. When I was at Mercedes the service guy couldn't figure out if the bulb I should I have was yellow or clear. I said since it is shining through red plastic, who would put in a yellow bulb? The French, that's who! :D

The red on the fender is a piece of red cardboard I was using to help me get the light off.

Thanks for your help, Mark

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Doozy

It's yellow because of the European clear t/s lenses....the bulb holders are all identical.

Thanks Mike, you should work in Mercedes service, they really didn't know which bulb to give me!

It's a function of wavelengths. A tungsten filament emits fairly full-spectrum light, with more intensity towards the red/orange/yellow end of the spectrum, even through the non-selective coating of the amber glass bulb. Amber (orange) allows more light from the red, orange and yellow end of the spectrum while filtering most of the green to violet end, and the red "filter" of the lens allows all of that red luminance through while filtering most of the orange and yellow. There is a resulting loss in intensity, but because our eyes are very receptive to the red end of the spectrum the loss is not really perceptible to the naked eye (for the purposes of a turn signal bulb). An LED, on the other hand, emits a fairly narrow spectrum of light. A "white" LED emits very little red, so when behind a red filter, the intensity drops significantly.