Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frmg0014

Fog Lights?

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello everyone,

Just purchased a 2006 Smart Fortwo Pulse at a low mileage a few weeks ago. It needs a few things replaced before I can safety and emission the car. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the smart. According to the owners manual, the fog lamp button is the one on the left. But as you can see on the pic, mine has a cluster button? And pressing this button turns off the speedo light.

Posted Image

The car does have fog lights installed (as can be seen in the pic) but they operate as front turn signals? :o

Posted Image

Fortwo without fog lights

Posted Image

I did notice upon removing the radio console panel there is an extra connector which also fits in the speedo light button. I'm guessing this is the connector for the fog light button??? :blink:

Edited by frmg0014

Correct on all counts. Transport Canada demanded the turn signals to be changed to the fog light position. :D

Canadian models didn't have fog lights standardly. Those glass domes are for the turn signals, most guys just relocated the bulbs back into the head light and added fog lights and custom mounts to that location.

so all Canadian spec fortwos did not come with fog lamps? :blink: The car also has the rear fog lamp setting on the light switch stalk (3rd click).. but that doesn't activate anything.

Canadian models didn't have fog lights standardly. Those glass domes are for the turn signals, most guys just relocated the bulbs back into the head light and added fog lights and custom mounts to that location.

So by doing so, I can just purchase a fog light button, plug the extra connector behind the the switch into it should operate the lamps? or are there other steps involved? Edited by frmg0014

Ah, the Euro turn signal mod. History:

When the smart was going to be introduced to Canada, Transport Canada thought the turn signal was 2mm too close to the headlight. Go look at your headlight cluster and you will see the round turn signal in the inner aspect. So smart wires up a turn signal where they would normally have fog lights in Europe- below the headlight cluster.

They don't have to have daytime running lights (DRL's) in Europe so the smart engineers used the full headlights as the DRL's for Canada.

Then for some strange reason the side marker lights were wired to be side lights only- in Europe they flash for turns and act as side marker lights. Confused? so was I. Why did they made the smart engineers do all this? It's good enough for Europe!

Anyways you can convert about back to the Euro way.

Wire up the turn signal light in the headlight cluster. Rewire the side marker lights. The old turn signal spot you can add fog lights.

Advantages:

With the side and front indicating turns you are more visible.

Lane changes are safer with a flashing side marker light.

And the smart looks better with the fog lights instead of the headlight DRL's

It is much more difficult to activate the rear fog lights.

Welcome to the world of smart! :D

[That clears it all up! :) I may have to do this as a side project as soon as I get her on the road!

Today I re-did the harnesses on my Hella Micro DE lamps using Chinese knockoff Amp Superseal connectors.While I had the lamps out I sprayed the lenses with three coats of DupliColor Metalcast Yellow Anodized paint to get close to a selective yellow cast. The beam pattern on these lamps is superb, but I've been using PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs to get yellow light. Switching to Osram Nightbreaker Ultimate +100 H3s provides a tremendous increase in throw and makes the spread as wide as it was with the original clear Hella bulbs. That said, if anyone is interested in a pair of barely-used, $60 PIAA H3 bulbs for just $10 I'll have them with me on Saturday.

"Then for some strange reason the side marker lights were wired to be side lights only- in Europe they flash for turns and act as side marker lights. Confused? so was I. Why did they made the smart engineers do all this? It's good enough for Europe!"

The side repeaters only indicate turns in Europe, they do not stay lit the remainder of the time. there is no requirement for side markers there.

"The car also has the rear fog lamp setting on the light switch stalk (3rd click).. but that doesn't activate anything."

To make use of this you need...

A rear fog lamp (Canadian models have two back-up lights) so you'd have to buy a new set of tail lights, or stick on an add-on. (or paint the clear lens on the driver side red)

Open up the speedo cluster and remove the flexible circuit board that dims the dash lights and prevents the rear fog indicator from lighting.

re-connect the cut rear fog-light wire. under the carpet just behind the hand brake.

Unless you can fulfil the first, there is no point in doing the remaining.

Edited by leejor

Just looked at my recently purchased 2006 Fortwo.   This thread explains why I was staring at the Headlight cluster wondering why the mystery middle lights didn't light :)

So a summer project then, move the blinkers up, swap out the sides with LEDS and wire up the Sides as blinkers as well.

then put the fogs where the fogs darn well should be ;)