Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steveyfrac

Hypermiling The Electric Drive

109 posts in this topic

I reported above about how, last year, I achieved 170 km on a single charge, while driving at an average of about 55 kph (using 99.5% of the battery, and at approximately 22 degrees). Since then, I've been waiting for a decent day, weather wise, to try out the experiment done in Quebec last year whereby five EVs were run at 80 kmh until they expired and their range recorded. Today it was +26 degrees C so I gave it a try in my Smart.

On a secondary highway, I drove at an average of 80 kmh (out and back to equalize the effects of wind and elevation) until 90% of the battery capacity was used. I tried to hold it at a steady 80 whenever possible and never exceeded 90 kph. I didn't want to drain the battery completely, but past experience has told me that, for a single trip, the range estimator, with only 10% left, is accurate. Thus, had I run the battery to zero, I would have comfortably achieved 152 km in total (13.0 kw/h and 100% ECO).

I tried the same trip at the same speed and on the same route a month ago when the temperature was +5 degrees C and I went 124 km, which shows the effects of temperature on range.

I will try again at 100 kph to see how speed and aerodyamics affects range.

Update: When I started the car the following day, after a night of re-charging, the range estimator read 155km! :icon_eek:

Edited by Jaguar

Wow! 155km estimated range! Would love to see that on my car. My stop & go driving is hovering between 105km and 120km most of the time.

120km is normal for me, too, at least in summer time. What that 155km tells me is that the range estimator does not average your driving over a long period of time (as I used to believe) but, instead, bases its estimate on your recent, actual range. Drive with a soft foot on Sunday and get a big range estimate on Monday.

The range indicator is absolutely useless. I find myself always checking it to see how much I can beat it by.

I don't look at it often, but I have found it to be increasingly accurate the closer it gets to zero. And if you drive at a consistent speed, it can useful. I've reached the point where I know how much juice I have left just by glancing at the SOC.

I've actually been able to get it to count UP as I drive, if I'm driving particularly conservatively.

Yeah, it's cool to watch the range climb, sometimes dramatically, if you suddenly have the wind at your back or you're driving downhill.

I've done a couple more range tests recently. A week ago I traveled at a constant 100 kph on a rather hilly highway and achieved 122 km. Yesterday I chose a slightly less challenging highway to see how far I could go at a steady 110 kph and managed 108 km. My range on the latter was probably hurt somewhat by the neccessity to pass slower traffic on the two-lane road.

I am up to 23000 kms now and have only run below 20 % once.

Home to Farm (work) is 36.3 kms and I can do this on less than 30% rain , shine or air conditioned.

There I have a level 2 charger and in less than 2 hours I am back to 100% which gives me lots of range

for errands into the city and the return trip. Range anxiety is a thing of the past. This time last year I drove my

08 gasser into the interior of the province over the Coquihalla Highway. I do not have an extension cord long enough

so this year the Electrosmarty stayed home and I drove my 51 Plymouth convertible. It got plenty hot but never balked or boiled

despite temps in the high 30s

Glad to get back home and into the EV. Love the Air Conditioning. Today, I ran the uphill home journey of 36.3 kms on less

than 30% with the AC on full blast. dp