Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huronlad

How Many Clear 700km Per Tank?

32 posts in this topic

I've come close in the 451 several times but finally was able to manage a little over 700km on this tank. The car took 35.565L of fuel to fill it back up.post-5864-1407279629_thumb.jpgCloser to 800km may have been possible if I had not run the 401 from Kingston to K-W with the A/C on. The first 120 km were very good at 4.27 LHK, running along at 80 kph.

Edited by Huronlad

Over 35 litres into a nominal 33 litre tank!I thought super-filling a gasser was a no-no because the evaporative control system's carbon canister could be damaged.

How many kilometers do you get on the average tank? I see your profile says 5.2L/100k, is that still accurate?

This past weekend at the Mystery Run, I started out at London, Ontario with a full (not superfilled) tank and 1,248 kms later, had gone through 43 litres of fuel.At 23 litres per tank, that works out to approximately 670 kms. per tank, so close, but no cigar.

How many kilometers do you get on the average tank? I see your profile says 5.2L/100k, is that still accurate?

Most tanks going back and forth to work are around 600km, averaging 5.2 or 5.3.

@huronlad That's better than I thought a 451 would get! I'm still debating whether to lease a new one...

My 09 is getting 600 per tank and about 725 if I us 94 octane. I used have classic 302 modified that ran great on 50 present 94 ,and 50 present avgas which is around 110 octane.Ran a little warmer, but preformed great! But I would hate to see what the price is now for that fuel. But I'm going give it a try in my smart, I well let you know if there is more of a difference.

Don't forget 110 octane AVGas is leaded and will damage your smart's cat convertor. Last I checked 94 Octane was about $1.55/L and AVGas was $1.60/L but that was last summer.

The tank will hold close to 38L of fuel.

You mean the Tank, EVAP Vent Lines and Charcoal Canister will hold close to 38L of fuel...Smart65 is right, overfilling Gasoline fuel systems causes damage to EVAP Systems, and with the new E-Test in Ontario you can't just drive around with a clogged Charcoal Canister anymore, well you can get a conditional pass after spending $100 plus to diagnose the issue...

Thanks for all the concern. I'm well aware how modern fuel systems work and it appears I have a better understanding of the 451 system than at least 2 people on this board.Members on sCOA have had the tank out of their cars, the tank itself holds 10 gallons of liquid(37.85L). Due to the construction of the tank and the the fuel pump assembly, not all that capacity can be utilized. I have filled my car the same way for the last 90k km, no evap issues, nor will I have any. In my car there is at least 2.5L of fuel remaining after the gauge hits zero. I seldom run below zero but I like to have some idea how much extra fuel is there.

Why would the specifications for the 451 show 33 litres as the tank capacity if it is so much greater than that?

Back on track, 720 km on this tank, dash flashing .5L remaining. Last 3 of 4 tanks over 700 km, less than 10 km shy on the other. If I was not running 32% more tire than stock 800 km would be easily attained, I think.

Best I've done to date was 408 miles after the Mystery Run's final day - still had one bar showing. 656.6 kilometers. :)

Best I've done to date was 408 miles after the Mystery Run's final day - still had one bar showing. 656.6 kilometers. :)

You could easily have run another 30 or 40 miles.

The highest I got so far is 726.

Do you recall how much fuel you used on that tank? What are you running for tires?

The UG was showing around 4.88 lhk on my drive into work this morning (the UG is pessimistic as it thinks I will only go 600km on the tank). I will see how much I can get that to drop on my way home.

Head wind did not help but have the UG down to 4.78. It now thinks I should go about 615 km on this tank.

Edited by Huronlad

I have done several tanks in my cdi over 700, the best so far 775 on 23ish L (not scientific, I usually home fill with Gerry cans since good fuel is far from home!).

I can't come close to that ... probably because my driving style more closely resembles "bat out of hell" ... (in relative terms to what a smart can do, anyhow)

Mine uses 5 - 6 L/100 km when driven with scant regard for fuel consumption ...

I am like Go Faster, I can get 600 KM out of a tank in my 451 on the highway, but I regularly chug along at 130 KMH +/- out here in Alberta, and am always red lining the engine when shifting.................I've never tried to improve my fuel economy by changing my driving habits, regardless of the car I am in.

$30 of 91 octane for 600 KM of range

Edited by Kds