Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darren

Thinking Out Loud…

75 posts in this topic

It's approaching 180,000 km. Not great, but it's been an absolute gem of a car. I've hardly had any of the chronic mechanical issues that have plagued many CDIs, a/c and door latches aside. I've only needed the EGR cleaned once (I always run premium diesel in it) and have never seen the three bars of death in nearly 9 years of driving.

I had the turbo replaced a couple of years ago, and a new clutch last year at about 165,000 km. I do need to fix the muffler and get it serviced before it's ready to sell, but it should have no problem passing emissions and safety.

It has the very rare opening sunroof option, which I hope will make it a little more attractive. :)

I'm hoping to get about $4000 tops out of it, and I'll probably sell it with the stock sportline wheels (with Blizzaks mounted) and the BRABUS Monoblock VI wheels with summer tires.

Lots of people don't. There are quite a few people who are not impressed with the "marketing" efforts there. Whereabouts are you, Steve?

That should be doable, especially if you stay a little to the west and come via Brantford instead of going down Highway 6 to the 403, which will have you wasting a lot of energy on that huge elevation change each way. There's also a Tim Hortons in Ancaster that has a Level 2 charger, which is right on the way. I'll see if i can convince someone on the board of the Museum to put in a charger or two. ;)

The heavy incentives and discounts ($100/mo. lease?) have me now seriously considering moving to an ED.

Where did you find a $100/month lease? I've never leased (or financed) a vehicle, so I have no idea how this works... but that seems too good to be true?!

I'd pay $100 a month for an ED, even if I knew I had to give it back!

Edited by Duck
1 person likes this

MB Canada was doing a deal where you could apply the $8500 government rebate to the down payment on a three-year lease. The net effect is a very low down payment and low monthly.

They've sold a LOT of EDs in the last couple of weeks. Noah said when the promotion started, they had 85 cars at the GTA corporate stores. When I went up last week, they had two left. One of them is now mine. :)

Noah said they MAY be able to snag some more inventory from BC, where they have just cancelled their gov't rebate program, but there are no guarantees. Noah himself sold about 15 EDs in 10 days.

Edited by darren
1 person likes this

darren, on 17 Aug 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:darren, on 17 Aug 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:darren, on 17 Aug 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

MB Canada was doing a deal where you could apply the $8500 government rebate to the down payment on a three-year lease. The net effect is a very low down payment and low monthly.

So you commit to having it for 3 years, and you're paying around $100 a month for a brand new EV!?

That's insane. Sign me up!

(The smart site is horrible; I can't figure out where to get to any of this stuff.)

Edited by Duck

Rick from MB Durham said at the Mystery Run that any offer that corporate stores make, they can beat. Worth investigation at least :dunno:

Yeah, i think the issue became one of available inventory. I went to MB Oakville first, but they said they had already sold out of their ED allocation for the year. I didn't really pursue it any further with them so i don't know if they could have bartered for cars with other dealers. I wanted to test drive one, so i went where they had some left.

Also, Noah has been fairly active on the forum, and i always see that as a positive thing to be encouraged and rewarded. :)

How much did you end up paying all in Darren? Also insurance who are you going with? I'm kind of tempted to snatch one up to boot around town with :icon_wink:

With all the incentives and the rebate, etc. I think it worked out to just around $2000 down and about $105/month with 18,000 km/year.

1 person likes this

ok I am thinking out loud also. my 05 cdi is in the shop again. May call up MB Markham today.

Edited by robm

Vive la revolution!

I'm going to have to talk to Noah about why my lease is so much more than Darren's. Same incentives, same rebate, probably same MSRP - more than twice as expensive. Only thing I can think of is that MB has brought the residual value up to some super high value.

Mine was more expensive, because I had to get the high mileage lease (24k kms), which means that the residual was substantially lower than the standard mileage lease. Perhaps the $100 lease is a low mileage version?