darren

Thinking Out Loud…

75 posts in this topic

Total Amount Financed: $18,995

Rate 4.9%

Total KM lease end 36,090

Residual $12,125.75

How does that compare?

The original quote was for something like 9000 or 12000 km/year. I had Noah bump it up to 18k, might see what the numbers work out to with 24k. I'm not taking delivery for a couple of weeks yet, (going away on vacation) so we haven't inked the deal yet with all the final numbers in place. I did qualify for another $500 incentive (company car) so that may have knocked a bit more off the top line.

4.9% vs. 1.9% will definitely make a big difference. Maybe that was an error? Mine is 1.9%.

Edited by darren

no - that was the rate back in Nov. Clearly MB is trying to move the remaining stock of 2014. That interest rate difference would not make such a huge difference. Interested in seeing what others are showing as the residual. That could make an even bigger difference.

People who are sitting on the fence. GRAB THIS. Driving a new car for just over a $100/month? CRAZY!

Why wouldn't they be available?

Buddy of mine was asking, his dealer said $250/mo for 36 mo lease. Way higher than what you guys said you paid.

No new smarts have landed in Canada since September of last year. Existing stock must be getting a little thin at this point.

Supply is pretty slim, but the 451 EDs will apparently be available for another year or so until the next-generation ED comes out. A factory video for the new model appeared to show 451s (presumably EDs) still being made on the same assembly line.

Here's what my buddy said:

Man, I don't know what kind of fees Mercedes is adding, but they are quoting me $280/month for a 36 month lease with a $9000 residual, which includes the $3000 mfr rebate, the $8500 ontario rebate as a downpayment, and a further downpayment of $1500 on top of that.

I only get $180/month when I stick that in an on-line lease calculator, so they must be adding multi-thousand dollars in delivery fees etc.

Was this "$99/month" thing that was floating around here just some random one week promo or something because they were trying to push stock?

Had no idea that there haven't been any new smarts for 6 months... Man I didn't realize it was that bad. Yikes

My ears are Burning! First off, I can only speak to Corporate dealers. I do not know what goes on with pricing/inventory from independent MB dealers.

In July last year, BC pulled their EV rebate incentive. The cars raised in price by over $8k over night. Since Ontario still had the rebate, many of the cars were shipped here. LOTS were shipped here. So in August/September, right near the end of the model year, smart had about 3x the cars to sell than they expected in Ontario. So, heavy incentives were created. That was a one time thing - we will never see it again. Don't expect $99/mo again. That was before tax on a car with no options; You put payment 1 plus your $18xx dealer fees (freight, Tire recycling fee, etc) upfront. Don't feel bad, the current programs are still very good and typically below the cost of a bus pass - about $126/month plus tax with the dealer fees upfront, if you qualify for Loyalty (smart or MB owner).

Duck - I suspect the dealership your friend went to rolled the dealer fees into the monthly payment. Have him contact me.

There've been some new smarts in the last few months. The run-out Pure is a nice car, basically a Pure plus $590 to get alloy wheels, LED drls, power mirrors, power steering, dash pods, pano roof... it's basically a Passion without the touchscreen radio. I have some in stock if anyone wants more info. Loyalty on a gas model is $2000.

Yes, we do not have stock of ED's at the moment. But that simply means you get to order one with the options you want rather than picking off the lot. Get in touch with me for more info, but an order takes about 2.5 months between your deposit and driving it off the lot. If you want an ED within the next 3-4 months, you stand a much better chance to order one than waiting for them to arrive. These are hot cars and last year created a lot of buzz about them. I do not expect to have many unsold units on the lot this year. A fully refundable deposit is all that's needed to order one.

And finally... has anyone seen a recent weather report? The East coast is getting hit HARD. Our cars arrive in Halifax... so, there have been cars en route to Canada over the last few months but many are stuck at the port because it would be unsafe to load the trains with all the snow and ice. Blame mother Nature! :icon_wink:

Edited by twobytwo
1 person likes this

I have been tracking the 451 coming to Canada, I am now up to date as of March 18. No smart has come in since September of last year.

1 person likes this

BC's EV credit used to be $5000....when it was yanked the cars shot up in theory by $5000, but as Noah says most went to province that still had subsidies. Even sending the cars back across Canada for several hundred $ each was cheaper than continuing with the short-lived M-B offer of $5K off.

I wonder if many cheaper EVs have been sold in BC since the subsidy disappeared. And, to be brutally honest, any marketing strategy that relies on a subsidy from government is bound to backfire commercially, as it did in BC, and surely will in other provinces when their cash-strapped governments face a choice between schools, health care and subsidizing new car purchases.

Sorry Mike, I forgot how much the BC rebate was. I think I got it confused with Quebec. Thanks for the correction

That rebate got me to consider selling my old CDI and getting an ED, and i'm glad i did. I freaking LOVE the ED. A little more range would be nice, but for 90% of the driving i do, it's absolutely perfect.

When my lease is up, it's going to be VERY hard to consider anything but another electric car.

1 person likes this

I'm in the same boat. I got into electric cars not really knowing anything about them firsthand. But now I can't image going back, at least for my every-day transportation needs (toys are different). However, the choice of electrics is remarkably limited. That's why I'm particularly interested in the next generation Smart ED. Greater range and more power would probably be enough for me to trade my existing car in on a new one.

I had the good fortune to have driven a Tesla Model S a year previous. I had been moderately interested in electric cars up until that point, but the Tesla completely converted me.

I'm really excited about what options may be on the market when my lease is up in 2017! :D

Unfortunately, a Model S won't fit in my short driveway, but I am interested in the forthcoming Model 3 -- along with a million others (the waiting list will be horrendous). It's an exciting world ahead.

1 person likes this

I have been tracking the 451 coming to Canada, I am now up to date as of March 18. No smart has come in since September of last year.

This statement is not correct. Noah has sent me a few new VINs, 2 seperate shipments. For some reason the departure port in Europe has changed and the old method for extracting VINs no longer works. Now working through a very tedious new method.