Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2Smart4

High Pressure Pump Failure

10 posts in this topic

Hi there, today I got some bad news that my smart is need of some major repairs. One of the items is high pressure pump. I have seem some picture of it, but I don't know where it is located. Could anyone help me. My plan is to get a used one and have it rebuilt then swap it with the one that I have on the car.

I think I should also ask. can I take it out myself or I need special tools? the word high pressure makes me worry a bit. lol

Thanks

Its doable! Don't let the ''high pressure'' worry you. To be on the safe side disconnect the battery before starting the repair.

The intercooler fan needs to be removed, the egr, and then 3 brackets before you can get at the pump.

I found that a set of ''wobble'' extensions helped with the removal.

Good luck!

The most common fault with these pumps is leaking o- rings. Repair kit is available from both Smart and Bosch. How to fix is already on forums.

www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.php?16143-Leaking-diesel-high-pressure-pump-Smart-Cabrio-Cdi-2002/page2

Thanks Tolsen. I believe that's what it is. I have strong fuel smell in the car and the mechanic checked and suggested to replace the pump. The link show obviouse dripping from the pump. I was thinking about taking the pump to Caliber, but now that I can buy the seals I'll give a try.

It's a bit of a job but if you have the time and the right tools it's pretty straight foward. I'll forward you some documents shortly on how to do it.

Thanks. I got a used pump from junkyard. It looks much better than mine, but i still do the seals. don't want to take any chances. Tolsen's pdf instructions are very easy to follow. I call MB to see if they have the repair kit.

post-12908-0-52069500-1407692961_thumb.jpg

post-12908-0-22819900-1407693000_thumb.jpg

post-12908-0-09001200-1407693030_thumb.jpg

Just make sure to follow a very rigorous cleanliness protocol. A clean-room would be ideal.

I would just fit the new pump without opening it out. Run engine and check for leaks before refitting inter cooler. Replace o-ring seals and back up rings in your existing pump instead and keep that one as a spare. The other parts in the service kit will normally not be required so you could source o-rings and back up rings cheaper elsewhere. I recommend Viton. Back up rings in my pump were fine so I could just have gone for Viton o-rings. Perhaps not a major cost saving since Viton o-rings are rather expensive. Pump service kit costs about GBP 20 from Smart. Does not include shaft oil seal I think but normally no need to replace that.

Remember my advice regarding flushing by cycling ignition and allowing feed pump to time out to force any dirt out of the system.

Service kit part numbers:

BOSCH F01M100275 - F01M101454
Renault 82 00 760 858
Smart A660 078 00 8