Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlossyTheSmart

Rfc: Wiki Categories And Organization

5 posts in this topic

So I have the database set up for wiki articles again, but before we start doing anything wacky, I wanted to get some feedback on our organization.

Before, we had two major categories:

-Technical

-Informational

And Technical had 450 and a 451 sections underneath it to further refine it.

These ended up being kind of broad categories, and it was hard to find things. Adding to the confusion, the (bad) site search we had before didn't search the wiki.

Now our search is able to include the wiki, so it might be easier for people to find things.

Hell, since I'm asking for comments, should we not call it the "wiki" (or "Articles" as it was originally), and maybe call it "How-Tos" instead? The new system we have is much more flexible, so we could have a How-To Section, and a separated database specifically for independent service options, another for vehicle mileage tracking, etc, etc.

I guess my point is - What do YOU want to see coming out of our old wiki feature, how should we name things, how should it be layed out? ALL comments will be considered.

Input appreciated, and noted!

Yeah, for now I have the "wiki archive" just as read only (well, for all but admins). If you'd like, you could send me a PM with the change and I could edit it.

I'll give this thread a day or two, then go ahead with whatever seems the most popular, and start repopulating the real wiki.

Bump for visibility...

I'll start transferring wiki stuff back into the proper wiki format tonight, if there is no overwhelming desire for something else.

(I may still make a separate database for service options, because I personally think it will work well, but I'll keep the old wiki page for now. I'll do a demo of that later, maybe on the weekend)

Finally got around to moving some Wiki content back. I've transferred all of the informational wikis into the new wiki. Feel free to check them out via the Wiki tab at the top of the page. Everything should be editable, and comments should be working, so feel free to give things a shot.

Technical wiki's will take a bit longer due to moving the attachments, and the fact that there are more of them, but I'll be working my way through those tonight.

All technical wiki's are now moved over as well. As far as I know, everything should be working essentially the same as before (More reliable now though). As usual, comments and criticism are welcomed in public or via private conversation :)

Check out the wiki at the top of the page!