Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlossyTheSmart

Service Options database Demo

8 posts in this topic

I had mentioned that I wanted to try this a while ago, and so had been working in the background on getting it set up. I threw a few of the service options from the previous wiki page onto my proposed new setup, and you can see it HERE.

Advantages of this setup:

-Nice table layout

-Individual pages for each shop by clicking on the shop name

-Ability to add comments under each shop (on the individual page)

-Adding a new shop is as easy as filling out the appropriate fields (Shop name, location, web site, phone number, etc)

-Maintains a consistent format

Cons:

-It won't be where it was before (Although links can be redirected, and a tab can be added at the top to make it easy to find. This is a good resource that we offer, so I think it would be to our advantage to place it somewhere visible)

-???

Again, the link to the demo Service Options page is HERE. Check it out, and give some feedback!

At first I was thinking, WTF are you talking about with the notes column, but I see the issue now. If you resize a browser window, the notes column is the only thing that expands and contracts. If I've got the window fullscreened at home on a 1080p monitor, or a large window on my 4K monitor at work, there's lots of space for the Notes column. Shrink the window though, and it looks stupid. Noted, and will put it on the "fix" list.

The current table layout is the defaut, generic database display layout, no extra work needed. It's a bit tricky, but I could likely mash the web address and email into one column.

Regarding the actual Notes column. The idea I was trying to get across is "What services do they provide", rather than notes on service level and what not, with that being reserved for the actual comments when you go to the specific shop page. Perhaps the "Notes" column should be renamed to ??? (Don't know yet), then go with your suggestion of a column indicating how many comments/notes there are for that shop.

Another database could be made up for part numbers for sure. This plugin is soooo much more flexible than the old wiki plugin, as long as someone is willing to put in the work to get it going.

EDIT: Another option to give more readibility for the "Notes" column would be to remove the contact info from the table view, making it only visible when you actually click through to the individual page...

Sure, but 1080p implies 1920x1080, so indicating a window width of 1920 pixels. When I've got the window that wide, the notes column is usable. Adjust the window width-wise, and the notes column is the only one that resizes.

In order to make the notes column less stupid on a smaller window size, some columns probably could be removed from the table view. Reducing to Shop Name, Location, Notes, and the Comment Count (As you suggested earlier), would give more room to play with, meaning the Notes column would likely look less dumb.

Apart from adding the Comment Count column, I can try that now, and we can see how that looks. All content would still be there, and you'd be able to see the rough location of the shops, but when you want to find the specific info, you'd have to click down into their actual page. :dunno:

Managed to wrangle the comment count into a column on the right hand side. Shuffling it in between any of the other columns is a bit trickier, just because of how the table is generated, but is probably do-able if there was overwhelming support for it.

I've transferred all of the service options from the independent list into the new database. People should be able to add new ones as they feel fit. I believe the entries are all edit-able also, so if something needs updating, feel free to do so. Comments about service quality or whatever should be done in the "comments" section by clicking the shop name, and scrolling down.

I also added the new tab for it earlier, so it should be relatively easy to find.