Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RHWeiner

Looking at Smart Cars for commute....Gas or Diesel?

11 posts in this topic

Because of a change in employment I need to consider a vehicle purchase now. For the past 7years I did a daily commute using the Skytrain system from end to end. So there was no need for a second car. My new employer is in the Langley area and while there is a bus route close by it would be less convenient and a whole lot less stinky than riding with the unwashed Masses on these hot summer days. So my wife was looking on Craigslist and suggested considering a Smart Car, especially given the fuel savings of these vehicles.

At one time a couple of years ago we talked to an older couple who had a diesel version and the husband suggested that diesel was the way to go for longevity and economy. So with that thought in mind I checked out a second hand 2006 CDI yesterday. Then last night I decided to see what reviews I could find before making the purchase and came here...a very good resource for opinion.

I read the previous thread posted here regarding 'Diesel vs Gas'. If I read this correctly the diesel model is better suited for long commutes on highway trips? My route will be primarily Urban.....stop/go. I can foresee that this car would be mine alone while the wife would continue to use the Protege for her commute. So it would more likely be parked for most of the day and weekends. It seems almost a shame to not use it (diesel) to its fullest extent. Plus, from what I read here there are more maintenance issues with the diesels than the gas models?

Ultimately this would be a secondary means of transportation and I would like to make an informed decision before I burden myself with a financial load while I am trying to reestablish my bank account.

Welcome.

At $100/month, you may want to look at the smart Electric Drive as well.

Edited by Huronlad

I don't think you can get the $100/month lease in BC, since they recently discontinued their EV rebate program. Of course, if you put down a huge chunk of cash up front, you can get the monthly down to a very reasonable rate on ANY lease, but you'd likely have to cough up close to $10k up front to get that with the ED, even with all the incentives being offered.

RHWeiner, how far is your commute?

Edited by darren

I don't think you can get the $100/month lease in BC, since they recently discontinued their EV rebate program. Of course, if you put down a huge chunk of cash up front, you can get the monthly down to a very reasonable rate on ANY lease, but you'd likely have to cough up close to $10k up front to get that with the ED, even with all the incentives being offered.

RHWeiner, how far is your commute?

According to Google the commute is 16km at 25min normal traffic....and an hour via transit!

I am not considering new as I want to unburden myself from increasing the debt load. I also don't have a chunk of change to lay down on it.

But now I wonder about leasing instead of purchasing? Given what I have said about the overall usage would this be a viable solution? Never leased before. Employment would be on a contract basis so could I claim some of the costs?

Just talked to MB in Surrey and they have a lease program for the 2015? at $99/month with $0 down for 24 months. I will investigate this option. I like the idea of not committing myself to having something I would need to resale later. I don't abuse my vehicles normally. I can't say that about the other drivers out here. :-) So as long as I am careful and mindful of the idiots around here I should be able to bring it back with normal wear/tear.

I had forgotten about BC no longer having the EV rebate.

Leasing a 2015 sounds pretty ideal. You would be hard pressed to buy a $2000 car and drive it for 2 years with no issues.

Rebate or not an EV wouldn't be an option as I wouldn't have a electrical source handy.

As to the lease that would answer the question of gas vs diesel because the lease would be for a gas model anyway.

Yeah, to me a car is a piece of utilitarian technology. I don't have Love relationships with pieces of metal. I am a bit of a handiman at home but that's interior fixes. Motors befuddle me and outside of changing batteries or bulbs I leave fixes to mechanics. Go to the guys who know what they are doing. :-) I just pay their invoices. Ha!

1 person likes this

Got the ball rolling on the lease. Hope to have the car in my hands sometime Thursday. Also got a quote from a ICBC Auto plan agent. After my 43% discount I will be looking at $155 or so monthly. All in all after taxes etc. my monthly outlay will be around $265 or so. I may be able to get a better insurance? I will check Canada Direct.

Oh man! Dealing with Canadian Direct is an exercise in patience! I tried to explain what a deal I was getting with this lease agreement and the agent kept on saying that there was something wrong with the amounts I was quoting her direct from a printout from the dealer! I think that MB and their adjustment on the msrp is screwing up the works. Basically they dropped from $16k to $10k on the pure package. It also doesn't help that Carfax doesn't have the 2015 in their database. What an experience trying to save money on insurance. Now my quote has to go to their underwriters. Frig!