Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RHWeiner

Best seat cleaning solution?

9 posts in this topic

Well I bit the bullet and now am the proud owner of a 2006 CDI Passion smart car! Yeah! The car interior is surprisingly clean given the age of the car but the seats are in need for a deep clean. I am thinking of trying either Resolve or Oxyclean to lift the stains out. Have any of you tried these or can you make other suggestions to consider?

Honestly I'd get an a la carte price from a good local detailer to steam clean the seats alone or the seats and carpet. In my opinion no consumer products will do your new baby justice, and commercial solvents still won't be as deep or thorough as steam.

I had good sucess cleaning the seats with a rental steam cleaner from home hardware.

You have to rent a upholstery cleaner attachment as well as the machine.

It cost $55 but I cleaned 3 different cars with it.

Make sure you vacuum well first.

Park in a sunny spot, open both doors and the hatch, clean first thing in the morning, it will take all day to dry, maybe even two days.

If you take it to a detailer, bring some clean white towels to sit on for the drive home or you will get a wet bum or worse colour transfer from your clothes to the seat.

Canman

Have you tried Folex? It is an amazing carpet and upholstery cleaner. It is a non ionic surfactant, so the cleaned spot is not sticky afterwards. I cleaned a serious green Katydid emission from the headliner on my Cabrio. After a year of dreading cleaning the green spot now turned brown and ugly, I sprayed the headliner, blotting it with a clean terry cloth towel, repeating several times and the headliner looks like new. Absolutely amazing.

A couple of ladies with their new to them smart were at the dragon. They were concerned about how to get the ugly residue from a bumper sticker off the rear bumper. A little Folex and a microfiber cloth took it right off the white plastic panel with little effort and the bumper was as good as new. It also cleans oxidation off of rubber trim.

http://www.folexcompany.com/folex-facts/

Folex can also be used in a steam cleaner. For the seats, I would spray lightly so the cushions do not get saturated. Then blot with a clean cloth. Several applications may be required. The clean dry cloth will absorb the stains out of the upholstery fabric from above without soaking the cushions. Simply amazing. :D

No, I have no connection with the company. I've just been impressed with the quality of performance.

Edited by BB Benz

I have tried many products over the years. Worst products are the "let dry and brush or vacuum out" type. Dish and liquid laundry detergents are only a bit better. Powdered laundry detergents work slightly better if you dissolve them into some water, brush them in and then suck them out using a wet vacuum. Rinsing with a garden hose and vacuuming to get out the residue is part of the process. Water reclaimed in the wet vacuum is unbelievably dirty so you know it is working.

Best results were with Bissel carpet cleaning solution using a Bissel carpet cleaning machine. Ours came with the upholstery cleaning attachments. I clean in one direction then clean again at 90 degrees. This avoids streaks. I also rinse with water. If you don't clean right up to the edges of the seats there will be very noticeable staining when dry.

I prefer buying rather than renting cleaning machines because I use them a couple times a year. A machine lasts 10 to 20 years so this option is much cheaper for me in the long run. It means I can also take my time and redo spots in a few days when dry if not perfect.

I know this is an older thread, but I am new here and just searching through them at this point. There are any number of videos on YouTube, as to how to clean seats using a steam cleaner. You would find it difficult to beat the price of a McCulloch steam cleaner sold at Harbor Freight. Since they frequently have coupons for 20% off, the price is reduced quickly. You can also pick one up there with a 25% discount at Easter, too. I use distilled water in my steamer, to keep out any chemical build up. Forget about using the brushes provided for it and simply pick up some small and cheap brushes at the local Dollar Store to use. You will also need a wet vac to extract the moisture from the steam or your seats will take forever to dry out. A small bit of Dawn dishwash detergent in a bottle sprayer, mixed with water, will work well with some minor brushing of the most soiled area of the seat and the steam used to clean it.

The good thing about this unit is that you can also use it for cleaning your engine bay, as well as your ceramic tiles to your bathroom or such.

Meguiars All purpose cleaner diluted to 1/4 and a soft scrub works wonders.

I use a tornador with megas APC

What about the fabric on the door panels??

My '05 Passion is dirty from 10 years of 'elbow grease', I guess.

I keep wondering about the Tornadors and have asked about them a few times on AGO but I have two issues -- my compressor is rather small (3 hp and just 80 litres tank), and where does the dirt/product go when you blow it? With a steamer you see it go into the terry or MF, and with an extractor or wet/dry vac you know it goes in the tank. At some point I'll get a commercial extractor, but for now I have a McCulloch MC1385 steamer and a 6.5 hp Shop•Vac.