Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmarteeBluey

LED Front Parkers.

3 posts in this topic

I have been running LED's on my Smart for some time now, including the small T10 5W replacements in the headlights. They were a good choice and bright (28 SMD LED's) but a problem putting them in as they were wider than the standard globe. Best installed with the headlights removed and the front lenses off.

Recently I removed the front panels for some maintenance. While I was at it I replaced the set of small parking globes or LED's with ones just arrived from eBay. At about $2 AUD each, excellent value. Site below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281353231139?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Installation easier as well as they fit the same way as the standard T10 globe. Noting the + and - orientation.

post-14145-0-49518400-1409044310_thumb.jpg post-14145-0-01883300-1409044334_thumb.jpg

Bright even for daylight.

I will now order another set for my other Smart

Happy SMARTing :icon_smile:

One thing that has been mentioned previously is that LED's in the parking "socket" can be damaged by the heat from the headlight bulb depening on how long you use your lights. I do run LED's in there but recess them so that they arn't in the "direct line of fire". the bulbs you ordered look great but if you do take advantage of the side firing LED's then it will have to sit quite far forward.

I have used a 36 SMD LED package for the past 2 years without any problems in both my Smarts fortwo. The only trouble was installing them, they were slightly lager than the hole they fit through. A tight squeeze. Taking them out, they fall inside the headlight, thus removing the headlight lens. LED's as seen below.

post-14145-0-27354700-1409432284_thumb.jpg

They did the job so well that one headlight globe was blown and replaced a week later without anyone telling me constantly that my light is out.

These new ones are not as bright, but still brighter than the standard 5W globe, and easier to get in or out (if power -/+ are wrong way round).

The other larger COB LED's were an experiment for replacing the standard headlight globe. They worked well for about a week, giving a brilliant white light, then burnt out. At the cost of them, I did not try them again.

Happy SMARTing :idea: