Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steveyfrac

Smart EV First Service

17 posts in this topic

I took ED into the dealership this morning to have it run through it's first inspection.

I've been told multiple times that it should only be 1 hour, so about $110-ish. I've also asked specifically for the battery test results, which they had no problem with. They said they'd give me a photocopy of the results.

I'll post my experience here, since I've not seen anyone else talking about it yet. My car was one of the first to go in service in Canada, I believe, so, I may be a forerunner here, thanks to the dealer demo status of the car.

-Steve

So, No battery check of any meaningful value was performed.

It was essentially a 'Did the computer register any errors' type deal. I'm somewhat disappointed by that.

Ended up being exactly one hour, and cost me $130 taxes in. Not too bad. Only work actually performed was to top up the windshield washer fluid, and give the car a quick exterior wash. I do have a photocopy with a bunch of things that were checked, and software versions and such, but it's mostly useless...

Good to know. I picked my brand new 2013 cab yesterday. (Somehow the dealer woke up a couple of weeks ago with a 2013 delivered from MB.) The salesman suggested a prepaid service package which the lady who finalised the financing agreement suggested was questionavle. Four years was $899 plus tax. this is a "country" dealer. Smart hourly service $89.95/hr.

When we bought our electric they sold us the prepaid service package. After we took delivery I got a call saying they would be reimbursing the cost of the package. They sent me a cheque. Apparently the electric smarts don't require much service. I was very impressed that MB would do this.

1 person likes this

I got a $260 +tax quote from corporate MB the other day for the first inspection of our smart ED. Quote seems excessive given that this is supposed to be a low maintenance vehicle with no real service being performed. I don't need my windshield washer fluid topped up and I just washed and waxed the car. So other than checking for codes there is nothing to do.

On the surface the car appears to be very economical until you factor in $300 for less than 3000 km of use. Electricity has cost about 1 cent per kilometer while maintenance is going to cost more than 10 cents per kilometer!

My options are to 1) skip this inspection, 2) find another stealership/garage that will do it for less $, or 3) do the inspection myself and make a detailed record to use in the event of a warranty issue.

Any suggestions?

Good to know. I was wondering about this. Mine is not til summer.

Is it best to get quotes first from a few dealers first?

My quote was for a single hour of labor, no parts, at the dealership rate.

I used Victoria Star in Kitchener.

Edited by steveyfrac

Hi all, thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm very curious about the maintenance of the electric drive... the motor has sealed/permanently lubricated bearing. There is no gear box.

What exactly needs service? seems to me that requires any service would be as needed (I.e. repairs, not maintenance).

So does the warranty actually stipulate periodic service?

Sounds like a money grab to me. Also something that's keeping me from getting one... not like our gas model costs less to maintain lol

I think they're supposed to do things like check the coolant system, since the battery is actively heated and cooled. I'm sure there's a detailed checklist floating around somewhere. Probably includes routine things like checking the tires, suspension and brakes.

What exactly needs service?

Brakes on any vehicle should be checked at least once a year.

Darren's right , the suspension and tires should be looked at as well.

In the maintenance booklet, look to page 9 for most of what they do at the service. In the Service Booklet (not all cars have one), page 58-64.

If you ask them to not replace the battery in your remote, you can save a little $

1.5 years in, haven't needed any service or spent any money outside of electricity. Car has been perfect. Couldn't imagine enjoying my commute in any other vehicle.

1 person likes this

1.5 years in, haven't needed any service or spent any money outside of electricity. Car has been perfect. Couldn't imagine enjoying my commute in any other vehicle.

Absolutely… i loved my old cdi diesel, but i don't think i've ever caught myself saying out loud, "I f@¢#ing LOVE this car!" as much as i have since driving the ED.