Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman007

Design Your Own EGR Plug

17 posts in this topic

A few weeks/months ago...I posted an idea of maybe making my own EGR plug to go along with the emulator. Currently, getting the MB plug by itself is not possible and buying the harness that has the plug is expensive. The last I checked it was closer to $41 plus tax.

I've started playing with AutoCAD this weekend and wanted to see if I could draft the plug. Here's the first version without pins, just the general shape to scale.

If anybody thinks that they can do better, pm me and I can send you the dwg file. Flossy, I can send you a STL file and you can print it to see if it fits before I add pins. Though I do have a 3D printer at my disposal, I no longer have the valve :(

post-11642-0-78071000-1410643748_thumb.jpg

Izzy

Here it is, my first 3D printed one. Obviously, there's some mistakes!

The dimensions were dead on and it slides into the receiving end. But I somehow drafted the guides opposite sides! It will be fixed this weekend! I also forgot to rotate the print 180 degrees - no support on the underside when printing.

post-11642-0-85109200-1411737706_thumb.jpg

Edited by stickman007
1 person likes this

HA! It fits!

I will try and find some time to go find some pins that will work for this. But the plug itself works.

A couple of adjustments:

- tabs

- tapered rim at the top of the plug

- correct guides

- shorter base

post-11642-0-37163700-1411761791_thumb.jpg

post-11642-0-95813900-1411761803_thumb.jpg

post-11642-0-33950100-1411761818_thumb.jpg

Very nice! Looks like you may have added some rough slots for pins to go too? Send me an updated copy of the STL when possible!

Some more progress here over the long weekend. Its almost finished!

I've managed to pick up some generic connector pins #1204-8159 from an electrical supply store (it was the only ones they carry).

post-11642-0-08711000-1413328472_thumb.jpg

post-11642-0-45826200-1413328489_thumb.jpg

It fits, though I will probably have to make some adjustments to it.

Izzy

Edited by stickman007

Searching that part number, are those pins made by Delphi? Having trouble finding an online source for them, and Ottawa has an unreasonably poor selection of local electronics stores, neither of which seem to carry Delphi products. Any tips on where you bought yours?

EDIT: D'oh, found them on Mouser...

I bought mine in Red Deer, AB from a company called Ko-Hen Electronics. Those were the only ones they carry. I still have the original file before I inserted the pins. If you send me a pin of your choice, I can mod the file for you and post up a few different versions for everyone.

Iz

...here's the one I printed up...

Soo jelous! Crazy world when the average person can 'print' out what the want. bon chance

So I've decided to release my final design to everyone. This will fit my own emulator setup, but if you want the dwg file, email/pm me and I can send it to you. I've posted the stl files on thingiverse.com

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:588717

Use at your own risk!

Izzy

PS. I teach a high school design/drafting class, if anybody has ideas they wanted designed for the smart car, give me a shout and see what we can do - in all likelihood for free

Edited by stickman007

3D printing is amazing and perfectly suited for one-off and small runs of custom-designed parts like this. Awesome job!

Wow, can't believe that its been a few years since I've started this venture!

A few months back, I purchased a new 3D printer in hope of printing reliable and heat resistant plugs for the EGR emulator. I ran into some calibration issues where my old PLA printer did not have. The EGR plug design that I've released on thingiverse did not fit into the OEM plug when it was printed on the new resin printer for some reason - the resulted print ended up being too big. When I tried to scale it down, some of aligning slots on the OEM plug didn't line up. Finally, though the plug was too big, the holes for the pins were too small. I ended up redesigning the whole plug. Still, my printer would fill all the holes and warp. After 3 weeks of no stop adjustments and calibration, I'm happy to say - IT PRINTS now! The new design uses generic Metri-pack 280 male pins which are quite common and easily available.

IMG_0601.jpgIMG_0603.jpgIMG_0604.jpg

Once again, the file is open to anybody free of charge.

EGR Plug Lid-v4.stl

EGR Plug locked-v4.stl

3 people like this

Excellent work Izzy, and kudo's for the generous offer to those who can benefit from your hard work.  The Karma points are adding up quickly....!
Thank you 

1 person likes this

The first 2 finished emulator goes to Willys! (still have to paint the cover black, but the grunt work is done).

IMG_0613.jpg

1 person likes this