Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twobytwo

Fortwo 453 review (Auto Express)

7 posts in this topic

It is good. The acceleration of the 70 HP car is lazy so it's a good thing we will get the turbo.

Interesting that they're going to keep making the ED and cabrio on the 451 platform for at least another year or two. I'm guessing that with the Renault partnership, they've built more flexibility into the factory to allow them to build different models simultaneously. (Assuming that the Twingo is also being built in Hambach?)

Sad to see the diesel go, but the vastly improved transmission sounds great, and i hope that a proper BRABUS makes it over here this time.

The Twingo is not being built at Hambach, as far as I can remember. But yes, they've obviously done something to improve their setup so that they can build both.

EDIT: According to wikipedia, the Twingo and Forfour are being built in the same plant in Slovenia.

Interesting. I wonder if they're just building a couple of years' supply of the 451 at Hambach to tide them over, or if they will build them concurrently with the 453.

Hard to say, but nearly thirty years ago Peugeot was building the 205 and 505 on the same lines at Sochaux.

Strangely for a new factory, smart wasn't able to build the 452 (roadster) and 450 on the same line at Hambach, or even in the same building...there was a separate one for the roadster. Maybe it had more to do with throughput capacity than anything else. I would be blown away if smart could not build the 451 and 453 concurrently in the main + shaped building.

Is that a clutch pedal I see in the photos?! Not all that keen on the front styling, looks a bit too "Toyota-ish" for me