SmartFerrari

CCV - Anyone made a catch-can yet?...

37 posts in this topic

Excellent work!

I ran my first car to 247K km without any EGR issues at all and then some twit rear ended it into oblivion. the intercooler does get a tad oily but it seems not to have harmed either car. The differences must be down to driving conditions...

1 person likes this

I can tell you have a very steady hand by the quality of your TIG welds.

Taking longer to reach operating temperature is a common problem and unrelated to the mods completed. Our old friend the infamous thermostat is the culprit. I suggest you rig up a temperature sensor on surface of outlet hose from thermostat housing to radiator. Keep sensor in place by winding tape around hose. This hose (left tunnel pipe is flow to radiator) is easier to get to just in front of tunnel pipes below the car.I bet you will find the hose will heat up gradually therefore loosing valuable heat to radiator.

This subject is pretty well covered here on the forum.

1 person likes this

Amazing workmanship.

I'm always surprised by how many people have persistent EGR problems. In my 180,000 km with my CDI, i never once had it go into "limp" mode, and only had the EGR cleaned out once during a service at Mercedes-Benz Oakville.

Maybe i was just lucky. Maybe my car was put together on the right day… who knows? But i only ever put premium diesel in it (Sunoco Gold or Shell V-Power), so maybe that has something to do with it?

Like I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, my daily commute is very short so that does factor into the problem. By the time I get to work, even in the summertime, I only have two bubbles lit on the gauge.

Excellent work!

I ran my first car to 247K km without any EGR issues at all and then some twit rear ended it into oblivion. the intercooler does get a tad oily but it seems not to have harmed either car. The differences must be down to driving conditions...

247K Km versus 56K Km... Shows you the difference between us! You're on the Island and I'm on the Mainland, temps/conditions are the same.

I can tell you have a very steady hand by the quality of your TIG welds.

Taking longer to reach operating temperature is a common problem and unrelated to the mods completed. Our old friend the infamous thermostat is the culprit. I suggest you rig up a temperature sensor on surface of outlet hose from thermostat housing to radiator. Keep sensor in place by winding tape around hose. This hose (left tunnel pipe is flow to radiator) is easier to get to just in front of tunnel pipes below the car.I bet you will find the hose will heat up gradually therefore loosing valuable heat to radiator.

This subject is pretty well covered here on the forum.

I'll look into that, thanks!

The welds aren't as good as I would normally do it, as I was rushing a bit to get the job done. Even then, inbetween fitting-up/tack welding in the car (very tight!!) I spent nearly 9 hours on the whole job (plus that re-work the next day). Good thing I'm not paying someone else to do the work!

Like I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, my daily commute is very short so that does factor into the problem. By the time I get to work, even in the summertime, I only have two bubbles lit on the gauge.

Clearly, you need to drive the SH!T out of it more often! ;)

As a Ferrari owner, you should be familiar with the Italian tune-up? ;)

Hello again everybody! After sadly losing my CDI years ago, I finally found another one.

I’m very impressed by the copper cyclone solution, but have neither the skills nor the tools to try something like that.

But I found this small and cheap (7 euro with shipping) oil/gas separator, which might fit. It’s from the Chinese car Chery E5 (or Vortex Estina FL-C).

Size is about 12,5 cm X 9 cm.

Just got it delivered and haven’t tried it yet.

IMG_1056.JPG

My Chinese cyclone air oil separator arrived yesterday. Exactly same as the one Felix posted photo of on 6 Nov 16.

The cyclone is nicely made, but annoyingly the manufacturer has neglected to debur internal casting flash before bonding top half to bottom half by ultrasonic welding.  Removing the casting flash was easy using suitable long drills held by hand and a special home made chisel made out of Ø 1.6 mm TIG welding rod.  Bore of nozzle was rough, not perfectly round and also had casting flash.  It cleaned up weill with a sharp Ø 5 mm drill bit. 

Air oil separator is marked MANN+HUMMELS 39 310 70 869.  That is same number series as the MANN+HUMMEL ProVent range but I doubt this one is made by them.

Sizes:

Height 126 mm, width 92 mm, depth 42.5 mm.

Inlet barb  Ø18 mm, air outlet barb Ø 18 mm, oil outlet barb Ø 12 mm.  Nozzle size Ø 5 mm.

Largest inside diameter of cyclone estimated to 30 mm.

AirOilSeparator.jpg

The Chinese cyclone air oil separator is nearly identical to the one I made out of copper pipe by metal spinning  Their dimensions are very similar.  Perhaps the Chinese have read this thread?

I shall soon bench test this one to see if it is worth its salt.

Did you ever get around to benching the Chinese cyclone Tolsen? =)

Mine is still laying at the shelf. =(

My home made air oil separator works too well so no need to change. My Chinese separator is therefore on a shelf like yours.