Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LucyParis

Error Light Identification & Car Crank but Cannot Start

29 posts in this topic

Hello,

It was about 1 month ago that my smart died on me. It was working fine the night before, but the next night, when I went to start it, it kept cranking but just would not start up.

We looked into multiple forums and from the sound of it, we will need to poke around the SAM unit to see if there's any faulty wires there. However, while we were poking around, we noticed a couple of things that we don't understand and thought perhaps they might be related to why the car won't start.

When we turned the key to position 1, this yellow light (right side) lights up for a few seconds and then goes off. It never used to light up before the car refuses to start. We just don't know what this error light means. See image below:

We would also appreciate it if anyone could please help us on how we should go about fixing the car :(

THANKS!!

post-15279-0-87822600-1415145314_thumb.jpg

That is the "water in fuel" light, which if it illuminates, usually means that the fuel filter needs to be changed ASAP before the fuel system starts sucking in water. It could also mean that the box that runs that little bank of lights "Canada E-Box" is damp and making weird things happen, but a malfunction there would not cause a no-start.

And we've got a great set of instructions on replacing the fuel filter HERE if you're a DIY kind of person, otherwise there are a couple different independent shops around Toronto that you can find HERE.

MikeT & FlossytheSmart:

Hey you both, thank you so much for the advice. Here's what we did:

1. looked at the SAM unit - nothing's wrong with it

2. boosted the battery of the car - battery is fine

3. So, we will follow your suggestion and change the fuel filter. Thanks Flossy for the DIY instruction, we will try to do it ourselves first, if not then a garage...

THANKS AGAIN !!

That is the "water in fuel" light, which if it illuminates, usually means that the fuel filter needs to be changed ASAP before the fuel system starts sucking in water. It could also mean that the box that runs that little bank of lights "Canada E-Box" is damp and making weird things happen, but a malfunction there would not cause a no-start.

Hey MikeT:

We would have never known that that error light means that we need to change the fuel filter. We could not find that info in our car's manual at all. Is there a website or forum that dedicates to what error signals mean in SMARTs?

So because the fuel filter needs to be changed, then the SMART doesn't start at all? Is this common?

PS: I thought the oil filter was the same as the fuel filter at first, cause we just had the oil filter changed, but I guess not. Oil filters the oil, and Fuel filters the fuel (gas or diesel).

Thanks a whole lot! We will try to do that and we'll see if it works!

And we've got a great set of instructions on replacing the fuel filter HERE if you're a DIY kind of person, otherwise there are a couple different independent shops around Toronto that you can find HERE.

Thank you! We will definitely follow the instructions. We'll write back to let you know if it works! Fingers crossed!

I should probably specify that this is a CDI Diesel 2006. Does this change anything?? I can't seem to edit the thread's title to reflect that this is a Diesel Smart.

The guide is for the CDI, you're good to proceed. A gasser does not have a water sensor. Also, you're bound to see 2 versions of the fuel filter, 1 includes the water sensor, 1 Is just the filter. Unless your sensor is damaged, you can swap it from one to the other and save about $100.

On a sidenote, does this light just come on briefly when you turn the key, or does it stay on when the car is running?

If you are in Toronto I have time and tools to help you out... you need to get the rear end off the ground, other then that its a fairly easy job. I also have a fuel filter/water separator handy.. the sensors change over pretty easy.

The guide is for the CDI, you're good to proceed. A gasser does not have a water sensor. Also, you're bound to see 2 versions of the fuel filter, 1 includes the water sensor, 1 Is just the filter. Unless your sensor is damaged, you can swap it from one to the other and save about $100.

On a sidenote, does this light just come on briefly when you turn the key, or does it stay on when the car is running?

Hey Chris,

The car is not even starting at all, it cranks, but just would not start. The light stays on for a brief moment, it doesn't stay on. Does this change things a little and might not relate to the fuel filter?,...

If you are in Toronto I have time and tools to help you out... you need to get the rear end off the ground, other then that its a fairly easy job. I also have a fuel filter/water separator handy.. the sensors change over pretty easy.

Hi AHZELA,

Thanks for the offer to help, really appreciate it. We're gonna try doing that tomorrow, if we failed, we'll give you a shout. Did that happen to your car before?

Now that SkydiverChris is asking whether the light stays on or just goes off after a bit (which it does go off after a bit), I am worried that this might not relate to the fuel filter anymore..???

Hey Chris,

The car is not even starting at all, it cranks, but just would not start. The light stays on for a brief moment, it doesn't stay on. Does this change things a little and might not relate to the fuel filter?,...

We've been trying to figure out why the car's not starting, but only cranking, and coincidentally, the light started to come on for a bit when we turn the key (it never came on before the car stops starting). So this is our first step in trying to resuscitate the car.. if this doesn't work, then we really have not idea why it would not start, but only crank... Any idea?

Afternoon Lucy?,

Sorry for the delayed responses. I'm guessing that if the light is coming on when the key is turned on, it is just running a diagnostic, much like the dash does for the airbags, e brake etc... My fuel light comes on at every start and goes away after about 3 seconds. It did this even after I changed the fuel filter when diagnosing issues for a start issue I was having.

If you could find someone with a star computer, it would probably give you a tonne of insight. I'd be happy to help, but I'm 4 hours away in Ottawa.

As for why it may not be starting, it could be a WEALTH of issues. Fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, Alternator, crank sensor, turbo, compression...electrical (pray it's not this). Having a star computer will allow you to read for error codes and might narrow or even tell you exactly where to start. Could be as simple as a loose connector on the SAM etc.

Good luck and keep us posted!

1 person likes this

From a discussion in the shoutbox about an hour ago, regarding Star machines around the Toronto area: "dmoonen has one in Toronto, and smart142 has one in London. Kompressor Autoworld in Stoney Creek has one apparently, as does Lee's Autohaus in Newmarket. Details for the shops can be found under the "Service Options" link at the top of the page"

Are you hearing the fuel pump at all? You should hear it whir when you turn the key. It could be a loose connection on the sam you dont see. As Chris has already said, You really need some type of code reader.. best would be a star machine. Then you can pinpoint the issue. It will get very expensive guessing.

Edited by AHZELA

Gave up fixing ourselves and took it to MB dealer downtown.

They told us it was most likely the glow plugs..after switching them it still did not start..then thought it was the relay. After switching the relay it starts, but according to the dealer cannot go over 40 kph. It was definitely able to drive at full speed before it did not start. ERG and valve were recently cleaned and working well.

Additionally the dealer had said that the windows would not raise or lower...they were working just before we had it towed there.

They mentioned a trade in...and said it needed more testing...

now $750 in, are they trying to pull a fast one on us?

It's look like SAM unit symptoms...

Honnestly, I don't know where is the relay in question but if it where SAM unit is... ask the question reply by itself!

1 person likes this

Afternoon Lucy?,

Sorry for the delayed responses. I'm guessing that if the light is coming on when the key is turned on, it is just running a diagnostic, much like the dash does for the airbags, e brake etc... My fuel light comes on at every start and goes away after about 3 seconds. It did this even after I changed the fuel filter when diagnosing issues for a start issue I was having.

If you could find someone with a star computer, it would probably give you a tonne of insight. I'd be happy to help, but I'm 4 hours away in Ottawa.

As for why it may not be starting, it could be a WEALTH of issues. Fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, Alternator, crank sensor, turbo, compression...electrical (pray it's not this). Having a star computer will allow you to read for error codes and might narrow or even tell you exactly where to start. Could be as simple as a loose connector on the SAM etc.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Chris!

Gave up fixing ourselves and took it to MB dealer downtown.

They told us it was most likely the glow plugs..after switching them it still did not start..then thought it was the relay. After switching the relay it starts, but according to the dealer cannot go over 40 kph. It was definitely able to drive at full speed before it did not start. ERG and valve were recently cleaned and working well.

Additionally the dealer had said that the windows would not raise or lower...they were working just before we had it towed there.

They mentioned a trade in...and said it needed more testing...

now $750 in, are they trying to pull a fast one on us?

Thanks!

It sounds like the SAM. Is that smart / M-B Midtown? I bought my all white Canada 1 there in 2010, but somehow I think (based upon reports here about their service) that a $750 bill for not repairing a car is unfortunately typical. Given that they have all the diagnostic equipment they need, I don't see how 5+ hours of diagnostic work could come up empty.

Refuse to pay the whole bill!!

Ask service director and negociate him... I second the fact that 750$ and 5 hours of labours shouldn't come to empty...

1 person likes this

I agree, if they've spend 5 hours working on the car and not fixed the problem, I'd be talking to the manager. I'm sorry you had to resort to bringing it to the dealer. A $750 bill is not unusual at all when going to Mercedes.

Sounds like they don't want to work on it and would rather sell you a replacement car.

Have you talked to Glenn at all? Smart142 is his name here...I've heard he's good with Diag, and likes working on smarts unlike the dealerships.

1 person likes this

Sounds like they don't want to work on it and would rather sell you a replacement car.

Have you talked to Glenn at all? Smart142 is his name here...I've heard he's good with Diag, and likes working on smarts unlike the dealerships.

Hi Bessy,

Thank you for referring us to Smart142. I just contacted him. Waiting for a response. The most frustrating thing for us right now is that they created 2 new problems - windows don't work & drives at only maximum 40KM/H, and they're asking us to pay to fix the problems that they created. That's not right.

I agree, if they've spend 5 hours working on the car and not fixed the problem, I'd be talking to the manager. I'm sorry you had to resort to bringing it to the dealer. A $750 bill is not unusual at all when going to Mercedes.

Refuse to pay the whole bill!!

Ask service director and negociate him... I second the fact that 750$ and 5 hours of labours shouldn't come to empty...

It sounds like the SAM. Is that smart / M-B Midtown? I bought my all white Canada 1 there in 2010, but somehow I think (based upon reports here about their service) that a $750 bill for not repairing a car is unfortunately typical. Given that they have all the diagnostic equipment they need, I don't see how 5+ hours of diagnostic work could come up empty.

The most frustrating thing for us right now is that they created 2 new problems - windows don't work & drives at only maximum 40KM/H, and they're asking us to pay to fix the problems that they created. That's not right.

1. The windows were working perfectly fine even when the car would only crank but not start, after we brought it to the dealer, they poked around and now they're not working.

2. When it would start, it could drive at way faster than 40KM/H. We took it onto the highway regularly, and drove at 90KM/H, no problem, now, after they poked around, it somehow could only drive at 40KM/H.

Edited by LucyParis