Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheHandyHobbit

Winter Battery Upkeep

9 posts in this topic

Now that winter is creeping in and the sub-zero temperatures start to arrive; I was wondering if there was any benefit in keeping a trickle charger plugged into my battery on my 2005 diesel overnight. Would it help out starting or would it be too tough on the battery? Battery is brand new but I'm just trying to cover every avenue that I can. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I can't see how this would do any arm, use a "Battery Tender" form CT and it will maintain the charge overnight.

Battery Tender Plus, 1.25A Charger/Maintainer

Product #11-1941-8

Regular
$75.99

Plus 1 on the Del Tran battery tender plus. I have three of them on my seldom used vehicles and have never had an issue.

I use a plug in battery blanket. Most of the time its enough to give the battery extra juice in the winter.

Off topic, I know, but in keeping with the subject of making the smart reliable in colder temperatures.

Being an '05, you most likely don't have an oil pan heater. (they weren't installed on '05's) If you have access to a 110V outlet, having an oil pan heater would not be a bad thing. "Uncle Glenn" installs them at a very reasonable price. PM him for more info. I have one in my '05 and it works beautifully.

You might also consider an in-car heater if the car is left outdoors. This helps keep snow, ice and frost off the windows and, since the battery is also in the car, it keeps that warm too. The one I have been using for the last 4 years is "the Little Buddy" (see photo)

post-7529-0-24601000-1415992431_thumb.jp

Funny, Ive got a 900W little buddy, in the same place. Its the only place you can really mount one. The only thing is when its snowing outside, you end up with a lot of ice buildup around your windows and panels. Within a couple weeks I will have a webasto on mine however :) Can't wait.

Thanks for the responses. Definitely no oil pan heater so I will have to get a hold of Uncle Glenn to see if he can come up with something. I've been trying to get in to see him about some other things but work has had me tied down. I just bought a heavy duty enclosure so at least "Sally" will be protected from the elements part of the time. Hopefully the "Little Buddy" interior heater will also help out especailly when she is covered up. Going to go with a NoCo Genius 1100 as a battery maintainer during the sleeping hours. Once again, thanks everyone for the advice.

Little Buddy isn't the only cabin heater on the market, but it's the one I have used successfully for the past 4 years. It takes up very little space in the car and for me, works well.

A quick internet search may provide a list of other cabin heaters more to your liking.

Getting back on topic.....

I've used C-TEK battery tenders for years on all my Smarts, various trucks (diesel and gas) and Kubota diesel tractors.

Theyre on the tractors thru the winter months and my plow trucks thru the summer.

I use one on the Canad1 all year as its use is minimal.

Never had any battery issues.

All battery tenders probably do a good job, but don't just use a battery charger. It'll eat up the battery over time.