Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Laura

2005 Smart car won't run or start

11 posts in this topic

I'm totally new at this so please forgive that I already posted this comment in the wrong place - I need advice and suggestions. I love my smart car soooo much and can't stand to think of it as disposable as has been suggested by some MB people.

Here is my car's story:

My 2005 Pure has 114,000 km and is dead. I talked with the vancouver MB service department and after telling them about loss of power, extreme hesitation, and failure to go into gear and move forward (now doesn't even start) they said it is likely not worth fixing. Then talked to some reps from MB Canada at the electric car show and they named the problem it likely was (transmission failure or another part that I can't recall the name of but they said it was about $900 just for the part) and again said to throw the car away.

I find this very upsetting - I'm the original owner and the car cost 25,500 new (convertible). It has always had proper service. I've asked MB Vancouver to diagnose at no charge as it seems a car of this caliber should outlive the mileage and years that this car has on it. They are reluctant to do so and are checking with the service manager for authorization to do so. Had their reps not suggested I throw the car out then I wouldn't be challenging them on the diagnosis cost - but they just seemed to cavalier and uncaring for my dear little car. I don't want to let this go as I feel in this case I'm not receiving good service from them.

I love my car - any suggestions appreciated. The car will no longer even turn over. When you turn the key there is a sound produced but the engine won't catch.

I was looking into buying the new electric version - but if after such low mileage the car has no value then I'm not sure I want to throw that amount of money away (for such a short drive life) again.

Tow it to Flying Tiger Developments in Richmond, Eddy Lai will take care of your car. The failed component is the clutch actuator in all likelihood. There may be some other issues too. He can repair them all and will charge a reasonable labour rate. 604-270-3733

The guys who are telling you it's not worth repairing are, to my mind, uncaring idiots who just want to sell something newer and possibly less reliable to you. Shame on them.

+1 on that. Go to Eddy and get it properly diagnosed. Once it's properly diagnosed then you know what cards are on the table

Even if I had a million bucks, I wouldn't go back to Mercedes Benz service (or buy any model which forced me to use them). We've put 60K on our FIAT 500 with only one warranty repair and regular servicing (which is very affordable). Even the Volt has only had a couple of issues (wonky tire pressure sensor and defective charging cord) in over 40K of driving. If I were you, I wouldn't give them the benefit of further patronage.

1 person likes this

Go to Eddy in Richmond. He is the best. I take both my smart cars there and I live in Port Alberni.

Alan

I can't offer any advice but I am dismayed that the manufacturer of the car would give this advice on a car with only this many km on it. Doesn't say much for the quality of the car or their support of their clients!

Ish

Hi All

Went and had a look at the sick smart. Codes 0401 and 0402 displayed on my scan gauge. First thought is a plugged EGR as the owner complained of a huge drop in power before the no start issue. The car has been sitting for at least five weeks so a seized alternator may also be contributing to the no start problem. I think I convinced her to let Eddy diagnose and fix the little car.

Alan

1 person likes this

Yes - thank you to all for their thoughts and suggestions - what an amazingly supportive and helpful group.

And thank you very much Alan, I'm so grateful that you and your wife gave up some of your weekend to visit my sick little girl. I learned a lot from you today, and convinced me, I've already left Eddy a voice mail and have emailed him. Also asked him to do the performance enhancer.

Will report in once he sees it. - any suggestions as to a towing company to trailer it to Richmond if I can't roll start it?

It was great to meet you too.

I cant suggest a towing company but ask that they put it up on a flat bed so all the wheels are off of the ground.

Please keep us informed as to what Eddy finds, then we will all be smarter.

Best of luck

Alan

I think this is the usual case of sooted up EGR valve, possibly seized alternator and clutch actuator trouble. Should be easily sorted out by the right mechanic. Get the mechanic to blank off exhaust supply to EGR and you will suffer EGR related lack of power no more.