Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrTyore

Snow Tires : Kitchener Waterloo area

14 posts in this topic

Hey all

So, I've used TireCo in the past, but I'm wondering if there's a place that may sell me a set for cheaper (TireCo: $724.92) for a full set of winter tires. I have rims, but need a new set + installation.

Mark

See,

This is where I'm embarrassingly bad with car stuff. What are the tire dimensions we need for smarts? I know there are two different sizes, but I don't know the numbers.

Mark

Just had a set of Blizzaks WS60's in the above 145/175 sizes mounted, balanced and installed by OK Tire in Delaware (London, Ont) for just over $500. tax in.

This place does good work., better than others I have used over the years.

BTW..... Bridgestone currently offer a $70 pre-paid Visa card with 4 Blizzaks.

Most every tire manufacturer currently has some sort of rebate program on full sets of snows.

I got $70 cash from Michelin for the new Xi3 winter tires on my M-B.

And Continental is doing a $65 MIR on their winter tires. I paid $440 total for a set this year, so after the $65, I paid 375, which is pretty darn good. Of course, then you've got to add the cost of mounting them on rims, but that's dependent on your actual location.

Prices in the KW area absolutely suck. If you want a good price you have have to leave KW.

+1 on PMCtire.com. They'll give you free shipping too

http://winter-tires.pmctire.com/enw/winter-tires.tire?pneu_dimension_largeur=15465&pneu_dimension_aspect=86&pneu_dimension_jante=720&

Edited by marchanna

I suggest foregoing the hassles of dealing with the mail-order process et al, and get-r-done.

If prices in KW are that bad, invest $10 in fuel along with an afternoon and travel to the best deal you can find.

It'll be all done at once. Summer tires will fit in car for the ride home. Most shops will bag them for you free (plastic).

Some shops will even store them for you, for a small fee.

I'm not a big fan of trying to save a few bucks if it over-complicates any process and costs me a lot of unnecessary time and effort.

Time is money. Many will feel differently, and that's OK too. I'm not trying to create a debate on the merits of on-line buying.

Just my opinion. For me, this is a quicker and more efficient solution, and therefore more economical.

I bought online once and it was a wash financially, factoring in time and hassle. Never again...

It only ends up being a good deal if you can get them mounted and balanced for a fair price.

When I bought from PMC I bought a set of four tires and rims. The mounting, balancing and shipping was all free. So I ended up with a set of 4 17" tires on alloy rims for $940 taxes in. In KW I could barely find the tires for that much.

But to get them mounted and balanced locally, most shops want $200 + tax.

More than $10-$15 to mount and balance a wheel is too much. How does a place justify $50?

I know it's ridiculous. I have a friend who has a shop, so he gives me the friends discount, but other than that I don't get any auto work done of any kind in KW.