Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Summer 2015 driver training on a track?

38 posts in this topic

Put me down as distantly, vaguely, theoretically interested. I kind of want to do a cross-Canada drive this coming Summer, so if there was enough interest, and a date did get set, I might (in theory) plan for that to be a date to be in BC.

That's encouraging. Let''s see if a few more people express interest!

Assuming you can rough in a date by say, the start of March, I'm actually going to say I'm in. I did a rough trip plan, and it seems pretty feasible.

Don't forget to gauge interest from Americans too, and poke some feelers at MB in advance to see what promotion they can do for the event too.

I may sniff around Mission Raceway over the holidays to see what kind of price we would be looking at there....

Depending on the dates...if its in July, I'm definitely interested

Flossy: if you are doing a cross Canada trip, feel free to crash in my place in Edmonton!

Edited by stickman007

Cool! I think the price will in part depend upon the number of participants.

Right on. Good work. Depending on Date. I'm going to form a local Smart group in Langley BC this spring and will pass it on for more interest. Was there any info on the results of the 2008 one with events etc?

Thank you

Sparky

Edited by Sparky

That would be buried somewhere in the archives here. It was awfully fun!

I've got some preliminary information now and once we have got some options to discuss, I will post these here to see where we can go with this idea.

The nominal capacity for registration is around 24 participants.

The basic options are:

• Weekday at Mission Raceway (a short road circuit) at about twice the cost of the Pitt Meadows airport;
  • Saturday July 18 2015 at Pitt Meadows (BC Driving Centre) from 4:30 to 9:30 PM, at half price (~$1800) of a regular session at that location (therefore, if we had 20 participants, about $90 each, less per person if we have more than 20 participants)*;
  • Any day at Pitt Meadows (BC Driving Centre) at any time, for a day-long event, cost about $3500 total;
  • If we have a short list of Club members, Driving Unlimited can have another car club attend at the same time, to keep unit costs low.

* this one is cheaper because the Mercedes-Benz Driving Academy is on that day until 4 PM, and there is an economy of scale to having our event follow it immediately

I would like the members' feedback on what seems to fit the bill. And then a semi-firm commitment of participants is needed (meaning a deposit in the range of $50 per participant), once we choose a format and a date. Then we will have further discussions about this and see what scenario we think will work best.

For the record, I would probably have at least one of my kids join us for this event. Which means I'd probably have to bring the Fiesta or B 200 as well (I brought the B 200 and the green smart last time). So there are at least two guaranteed participants.

It's hard to resist a deal like 50% off. My vote would be for Pitt Meadows on the 18th, but if that date didn't work, then the Saturday before that, the 11th.

So, I am going to start a formal "expression of interest" list on the basic premise that it will be at Pitt Meadows in the early evening (4:30-9:30) of Saturday July 18, 2015, costing under $100 per driver/car. Up to about 24 can be registered:

1. Mike T

2. Another T (to be determined which of my kids this would be)

3. Clancy

This is the "expression of interest" list on the basic premise that it will be at Pitt Meadows in the early evening (4:30-9:30) of Saturday July 18, 2015, costing under $100 per driver/car. Up to about 24 can be registered:

1. Mike T

2. Sean or Julia T (to be determined which of my kids this would be)

3. Clancy

4. For2

5. FlossyTheSmart

6. Stickman007

7. Ross Dunn

Here is a brief update. I have provisionally got a commitment on the part of Driving Unlimited to have the July 18th date reserved without the benefit of a deposit for a few weeks. Not long after that, I will have to pony up a non-refundable deposit in the order of $500.

To be totally clear, each participant will have to bring their own car. That car need not be a smart. If more than one member of a family wants to join in, each member will need their own car at the track. It is not possible to share a car, as a driver.

During the few weeks between now and mid-March, I will have to collect not only a list of interested members large enough to justify the event, but also begin to collect deposits from each person. Deposits of around $50 each would be expected by sometime in late March.

Right now we have seven members signed up. We need, I think, at least 15 confirmed participants and preferably 20 or more to make this work as a Club smart Car event. If 15 participate, the per car fee will be around $120. If we get 20, that goes down to around $90 per participant. If we get 25, the per person rate goes to about $72.

If we do this on a day other than the evening of July 18, you can double each of the above costs. The offer on the 18th is a great deal, so let's make this work!

In the event that maybe 7 or 10 people are interested and that is it, another possibility exists, and that is teaming up with the BMW Club for an event, but the costs of that would be higher than having our own event on July 18th.

If you haven't had an advanced driver training course before, I will say they are a total hoot. You will be doing things in a safe environment that will be at once fun and benefit your on-road driving skills. Please, sign up!

1. Mike T
2. Sean or Julia T (to be determined which of my kids this would be)
3. Clancy
4. For2
5. FlossyTheSmart
6. Stickman007
7. Ross Dunn

I could theoretically be in - it will depend if I actually have a smart or not at the time. There is some possibility I will temporarily own a canada1 coupe. So depending on how that goes (I am looking for offers on the car now, but realizing it may go out east in good weather....... hint hint.....), I may have it until sometime this summer coming up. It's also the tenth anniversary of my cross Canada trip, and so I am also thinking along those lines as well. And yeah, I still have a set of fuel economy wheels and tires!! Hmmmm..........

Maybe I should drive the car to Cape Spear and back to it's new home in 'Ontario'???? And then fly home. Hmmmmm........

Anyway.... add me to the list, and count me in for some admin support in any event Mike.

Oh, I could always bring a Subaru..... well, add me to the list already!