Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Th3Guardian

Adding oil pan heater

8 posts in this topic

On December 06, 2014 I installed a Polar pad from Canadian tire. Installation was straight forward, the only problem is deciding where you want to run the plug in. I took a few pictures near the end of installation but as I said before it is straight forward.

First picture is where I placed the heater pad, on the package it said for best results to place on the bottom of the oil pan, for obvious reasons. To protect the plug wires from heat damage and debris I warped them in Flex wire. You just have to clean and de-grease the oil pan, then scuff it up with the sand paper provided in the kit.

post-14895-0-99732500-1418140836_thumb.jpg

The second picture is just to show where I ran the cable and where I zip tied.

post-14895-0-99155700-1418140845_thumb.jpg

The last picture is just showing where I ran the plug in for easy access, when not in use i just tuck the plug into the adjacent hole.

post-14895-0-28217100-1418140856_thumb.jpg

The Heater pad used in this install is linked below.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/polar-pad-engine-heater-125w-0300004p.html#.VIcaIdLF9R4

Would like to give a huge thanks to Spider for the use of his hoist, made this install so much easier, but could be done with out one.

2 people like this

I just had the same Oil Pan Heater Installed. With the output being 125 Watts and as an example the night time Temp being -10 C, anybody have any experiance on how long this should to be plugged in? A couple of hours before starting in the morning or over night? Any advice, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Personally run mine for about two hours prior to take off, your only heating about 2.7L anyways on the 450 CDI and about 3.3L on the 451.

Wouldnt recomend leaving them all all the time just due to a fire hazzard.

Edited by dmoonen

On my cdi before I had a webasto I had a 200w pan heater, and I left it plugged in all night. Sometimes temps were well below -30, so I didn't have any concerns. I only plugged it in if it were going to be -10 or better. I found it only made a marginal difference anyhow, heating the oil is almost useless if you run the proper grade.

Over the course of this winter I can happily say that my smart car started every morning even in the -40°c. I leave it plugged in over night (9pm-7am) when it's cooler than -20°c. Some nights I forgot to plug in the heater and really noticed how much harder the car was to start, I'm glad it's installed even if it is just for peace of mind.

1 person likes this

Will the 250W Polar Pad fit the 2005 Smart ForTwo? The heater's dimensions are 3.5 in x 5.125 in x .075 in. I couldn't find the exact dimensions of the oil pan unfortunately..

Thanks!

Audrey.

1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

Thanks! Unfortunately I already purchased the 125W pad, hopefully it should do the trick.