Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SizeMatters

Hello, I am new and all my lights Keep Dimming

8 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody!
My Name is Ian and I am new to the site. Like my Decal? I found out about it through this add I posted on Kijiji looking for a plastic part for the underside, which brought me to london where I met "Uncle Glenn."
He is awesome. All the adivce he gave me on my car and told me a LOT of things I didn't know about my Smart car. Thanks again Glenn! also sorry for being so annoying with the questions.

Guess what Everybody? I have another one:

When the engine is Running, all my lights start to dim, everything, dash lights, head lights etc. start to dim/flicker and the RPMs drop from 1000 to 850 then back up to 1000 when idling. Someone said the belt might be loose but I don't know.it's a 2006 Diesel if that helps. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

P.s. So Glenn aka Smart142, I found the site! I am sure we will see each other in the new year ;) thanks for storing my oil

post-15385-0-09413500-1420000996_thumb.jpg

I'll leave the diagnosis to someone more knowledgeable and simply welcome you to the site. Enjoy your stay :) And yes, I like your decal. :thumbup:

"Uncle Glenn" is certainly a good choice when it comes to getting your smart serviced. He has looked after both of mine .. one for over 5 years, and it still runs great.

Thanks Ian! The pleasure was all mine. I love meeting new enthusiastic smart owners.

I agree with Darren. Most likely the altenator is failing. Not uncommon. I replaced one 4 days ago.

Alternator will cost you about $700...been there. Same as a starter...been there too or should I say TWO. Couldn't resist, its late.

I can get rebuilt altenators for just under $200 and labour to install is about the same , so about $500 all in.

Mind you cabrios are more because there is a cross brace that needs to be rem'd that usually causes grief.

Easy add the labour to lower the engine. Its a Merc prepare to get robbed either way

Edited by dmoonen