Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Is the roadster already a classic in Europe?

6 posts in this topic

Oldtimer Parxis Magazine in Germany had a three page article in the January 2015 edition dedicated to the smart roadster. Calling it a "youngtimer", they noted that it is a delightful sports car in the mould of the early sixties cars such as the Austin-Healey Sprite, with amazing roadholding and crisp performance.

The biggest points to watch when considering buying one are to avoid the 61 HP gasoline version (with the same engine as the 450 non-BRABUS), because they have a 100,000 km lifespan, whereas the 82 and 101 HP versions are far more robust and will last well over 200,000 km if maintained well. The other thing is that the leaks that this model is renowned for should be thoroughly investigated before buying.

43,058 of these cars were made in their short production run and a decent 82 HP version can be had in the 5000 Euro range, with a super low km BRABUS being 10,000 Euros and up. They still represent good value, but these prices will be rising in the next few years.

Of course, come 2017/8, the first of the roadsters will become available for importation to Canada.

I heard they were underdeveloped and problematic to own, but what a timeless design! I'd love to see an electric version. No hope for that, unfortunately.

For the most part they were quite good to own, but water leaks were the bugbear. There is a hundred page service bulletin about that, which I have a copy of!

I heard they were underdeveloped and problematic to own, but what a timeless design! I'd love to see an electric version. No hope for that, unfortunately.

Your prayars are heard, picture-google "electric smart roadster", there's a couple conversions made i Europe.

Good Luck, KfL :-)

Edited by Kofångar-Lasse

Your prayars are heard, picture-google "electric smart roadster", there's a couple conversions made i Europe.

Good Luck, KfL :-)

Thanks for the links. Some of those conversions are very nicely done but the costs are awfully high. I've noticed that many companies that used to do conversions are now suggesting to potential customers that they are better off buying from a manufacturer. Perhaps the conversion market that seemed to be thriving a decade ago is headed for obsolescence.