Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twobytwo

2016 453 Fortwo deposits for factory-ordering

40 posts in this topic

Those VW gas Eberspächer heaters turned a 22 MPG car (VW Type 3 Squareback) into a 14 MPG car!

lol - could well be Mike! Long before I was even considering fuel economy. But I do remember they kept us warm when the air ducts on the bug started rusting out!

Flame is still a pretty efficient way of heating. In the context of trying to save range in an EV it is really the only way of avoiding drain on the battery. Heat pump is good and doesn't have the crash implications. I'm just not sure what happens to the efficiency when the temp is really cold. Years ago when I investigated them as home heating they were only effective until just below freezing. Different refrigerants may change that but I would have to see the science. Should have a look how the Leaf owners are making out in the cold.

I think EV makers would avoid it at all costs due to the EPA rules on EVs. Not to mention, some EVers would consider having gasoline in an EV the same way a vegetarian would feel about some chicken in their salad.

Random 453 feature requests ... I was reminded of this while driving my 451 in the snow today.

Variable intermittent wiper settings! The single setting in my 451 is too fast for light misting or light snow conditions.

And ... EDL (electronic differential lock). My Jetta had this, and it helps with traction quite a bit in slippery conditions. (If one wheel spins, it applies the brake to that wheel only, which forces torque to be applied to the other side)

ED driver here. Can confirm. Please keep your smelly long chain hydrocarbons away from my idealized world. :D

Damned hippie! How about if it runs on used vegetable oil?

I want the really cool tech that the Mercedes B class Electric got, and some of the stuff off the Soul EV.

They have things like Driver side only heat, electric defrosting on the windshield, heat pumps, and a system that monitors the humidity and temperature inside the car, and only introduces enough outside air to stop the windows from fogging up.

These systems combined reduce the the energy required to keep a passenger safe and warm by nearly 70%...

I don't want your liquid fuel based heater. :D

My request is simple... I just want a more powerful horn. :)

Anyone have a link to the train horn?

Edited by twobytwo

Hmmm. I would think the only Smart we would consider as a replacement for one of our 3 CDI's would be an Electric smart with about 200 KM of range. Having said that we find ourselves in a funny situation. We needed three cars for geographical reasons. Those reasons are changing this year. We now only need two cars. I have three very low mileage CDI's that continue to run with out any problem. I am reluctant to sell the third car as I know as soon as I do one of the others will pack it in and I'll have to get another car. That may be a good excuse to sell one and that way I can get a new 453 Electric, but I know the range I need won't be there yet. Within 6 years we will only need one car and Angela wants a Tesla. So I'm thinking we'll just keep what we have and run them till they die one at a time. If things keep going the way they are that could be a while yet. sigh.....

Good luck on that. The 453 probably hasn't had a Canadian MSRP set yet (and a good thing that is, because the Euro is dropping fast).

I would expect pricing to happen with the Can/US reveal next month.

1 person likes this