Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twobytwo

2016 453 Fortwo deposits for factory-ordering

40 posts in this topic

As of today, January 24th, I have no specific information on pricing, options, colours, etc. I should have most of that by mid-spring. I am estimating the first shipment around August.

At this time, I am taking deposits on the new model. Because there is no specific ordering information, the deposit allows you to secure one of the first cars I can order. I will forward any information I receive and when my ordering system opens up - yours will be processed first.

If you place your $500 deposit and change your mind by the time the car arrives, I will fully refund your deposit. I am at Mercedes-Benz Markham at Kennedy & 407, and it only takes a few moments (unless you want to hang out and chat over a coffee or hot chocolate).

I will use this page for further updates as I get them.

Thank you.

1 person likes this

No prob. All I know at the moment is that we get a dual clutch and manual options in the 0.9 turbo 3, which most people know already. But they HAVE been asking me which features people want to be able to determine whats important for the standard configurations (height adjustable seat? Tilt steering wheel? VS having heated seats standard...)

Edited by twobytwo

Well, I won't be buying unless/until my 451 implodes, which there's no sign of yet, but if it helps, I can say what I'd want ... and it's unlikely to be a base model.

Proper three-pedal manual, A/C, cruise control, bluetooth including streaming audio (my other vehicle has Chrysler Uconnect, which is good), heated seats, either height-adjustable seats or steering wheel but preferably both, panoramic roof. It is pretty likely that I will want better suspension, steering, and tires than the standard vehicle offers - I have Bilstein coilovers and Falken summer tires on my 451 - I know there is a "sports package" option on the 453 so that may do.

I will not buy a vehicle that is a non-colour - and by that, I mean black, white, and all shades of silver (a.k.a. grey) in between. (my 451 is yellow) I can deal with some parts of the outside being non-colour (like the silver tridion on mine!) but there has to be more to it. I have a silver motorcycle, but it has orange stripes and orange wheels.

The thing that I don't like about the 453 interiors that I've seen thus far are the white parts in the interior ... impossible to keep them looking decent. But I suspect that the colours shown thus far are only what is available from launch, and are pretty likely to change.

If a Brabus version of the 453 shows up on this side of the pond with a stronger engine, I'd be really tempted ...

I'd not be interested in anything but the 453 BRABUS cabriolet, if and then only if it has the >100 HP engine, sports suspension and full load. However, like GoFaster, I don't think I will ever be in the market for another smart unless my present one is totalled, because I intend on keeping it for life. And for me, one smart is enough - I won't need more than three cars once the kids all leave home.

I'll be very interested to see what the specs are like on the next-generation ED. I'm enjoying my current one immensely, and would definitely consider another if the price is still good and the range has improved by the time my lease is up.

Tilt wheel isn't as big a deal for me as telescoping. Getting the right arm and leg position is critical, and something that was sorely lacking in the 450, though i find the ergonomics in the 451 to be much better. Same goes for height-adjustable seats. As long as the driving position is good, i don't really find them necessary… it helps that i'm tall, though. ;)

Heated seats: Non-negotiable for me. MUST HAVE. Same with A/C.

Panoramic roof: REALLY nice to have. It goes a long way toward making the interior feel so much more bright and spacious.

Bluetooth: YES.

Navigation: Meh… the system in the current cars is absolute crap, but if smart is doing a radio with Apple CarPlay integration, that would be appealing for sure.

That's pretty exciting that they're actually considering bringing the manual transmission over here. But obviously not for the ED. :(

I'd love to maybe see an ED "sport" package that has some of the BRABUS goodies on it… wider wheels/tires, blacked out headlight/taillight housings, etc. I know the wider tires are probably not great for power consumption, but they are great for handling, which is something lacking in the stock wheel/tire combination on the ED. Just because we're green doesn't mean we don't like to have fun! :D

Edited by darren

Let us know what you hear on the actual Brabus for North America. We might get a hint at the April New York Auto Show. :)

I truly don't believe the manual gearbox will be offered in North America. If interviews with Dr. Winkel last week at NAIAS can be parsed, she makes it pretty clear that the 453 won't be available for sale in the US until the DCT is tweaked and perfected, which she said is expected some time in the second quarter.

Same as Mike, I'm waiting to see what the eventual BRABUS cabrio looks like, and what engine and suspension we will get when it does come. If it's just a Bottrop appearance kit, I'll likely take a pass.

I was also hoping 2015 would see us getting the BRABUS electric drive (451), but nobody knew what I was talking about when I asked at the Montreal Auto Salon on Thursday.

The impression that I got was that they wanted the new DCT available at-launch in North America to stave off, right from day one, the criticisms that the prior model had. That doesn't necessarily exclude the manual transmission from being available; only that they don't want to introduce a manual version without having the auto version simultaneously available.

In the North American market, not having the auto tranny available from launch day 1 is a big problem - the Dodge Dart suffered from this and never recovered. People go into the dealer to look at this new car ... see that they can't drive away that day with the auto-tranny that they want ... and they don't come back. The Fiat 500 had a troublesome launch because of this, too.

1 person likes this

Perhaps, but in North America the fortwo is a niche within a niche market. The few enthusiasts here choosing an anachronistic MT over a modern, slick-shifting DCT would make up such a small niche within that niche of a niche that they probably don't make enough of a business case to Daimler. If warm and fuzzy were all that mattered to Daimler, they'd still offer the cdi engine option.

According to the smart USA folks, on smartusainsider.com, both transmissions will be offered. Dr. Winkler knows the US market and there's no way they'd bring the C453 in without the DCT as an option. Good news is it sounds like we'll get the cars earlier than November, the last timeframe being thrown around. :)

Reply by Eric Angeloro - smart USA on August 31, 2014 at 10:45am
We will be getting a 5spd manual and a 6spd DCT.

If the manual does come in, I bet it'll be dropped like a hot potato a year or two later.

Yeah, the [FIAT] Jeep Renegade Sport with 6M isn't being pushed at all; FCA expects less than 5% of Renegades sold in North America to be manuals.

From the smart Canada website.

smart now offers five-speed manual transmission or the optional twinamic six-speed dual clutch transmission so all your transitions can go smoothly

Well as I've said before, I'd get a DCT over a 5MT any day of the week. With the right programming, it'll make driving a 110+ hp BRABUS a total hoot.

1 person likes this

If the manual does come in, I bet it'll be dropped like a hot potato a year or two later.

If there is no monetary benefit to deleting this option, what would be the point.

If there is no monetary benefit to deleting this option, what would be the point.
Every manufacturer ideally wants to make only one version of their product. Every variation adds complexity and cost. If there's a configuration that only sells a small percentage of overall units, especially with an imported product, cutting that model reduces the amount of unsold inventory, which dealers then have to sell at a discount to get them off their lots.

If smart dealers order cars they can not sell, that is their own problem. Unless the clutch pedal is deleted completely from the fortwo on a worlwide scale, I still see no financial reason to not make it available to those that want it here in Canada.

The money has already been spent to have it approved here, it is not as if they can get that money back.

1 person likes this

I guess I have less faith in the wisdom of marketing divisions than some others do!

1 person likes this

I think they should offer the new car with a carburetor. And a manual choke.

1 person likes this

I'm not sure where they are in engineering the next ED but the biggest option they could add for this market would be a webasso style auxiliary heater. That would do so much to extend winter range. Heat pump would be second choice.

I'm not sure how much mass the coolant in the current ED has but a Webasto Thermo Top only heats coolant to around 55°C and circulates it while using about 0.5 litre of diesel per hour to do so.

I'm not sure how much mass the coolant in the current ED has but a Webasto Thermo Top only heats coolant to around 55°C and circulates it while using about 0.5 litre of diesel per hour to do so.

I was thinking of the old bug heaters which were air heaters not coolant heaters. Basically they were a mini gas furnace.