Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
felixy69

*** coilovers help !

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys I m

New to smart cars

I want to buy coilovers for iy but seems like only kW n billstains are available.

Are there any other coilover on the market ?

Welcome to the club.

If you are after a better handling smart goes with this.

Edited by Huronlad

So like a lift kit for winter driving or off-roading, and a drop for better summer handling on summer tires?

Or just trying to hellaflush a car that will handle and ride even worse?

As for handling I m used to lowered cars so I don't mind it much

So like a lift kit for winter driving or off-roaming, and a drop for better summer handling on summer tires?

Or just trying to hellaflush a car that will handle and ride even worse?

Well I think you already have answers. Bilstein B14 PSS or KW Variant 2. Please don't say neither goes low enough.

1 person likes this

As far as I know, nobody else. These were not popular tuner cars like Golfs and Civics. I'm running Bilstein B14 with a 1.4" drop in the front and 1.75" in the rear (in the summer -- right now it's more like 0.5/0.5). The fronts are flush but sane, the rears still have a fairly wide gap but that's a limitation of the car, not the spring. However on my summer wheels and tires it has increased cornering grip and stability tremendously.

I have the Bilstein B14 kit on my 451. The front is around stock ride height and the rear is lowered about 20mm - partly because it levels out the appearance, and partly because if you look at the lateral arms which locate the axle side-to-side, this brings them very close to level, which zeroes out the bump/roll steer in the vicinity of normal ride height.

It is really good. The car rides and handles as it should have from day one.

I don't know about the KW Suspension kit, but it's more expensive. I also don't know about the Brabus suspension but I suspect that it is still OEM built-to-a-price, not much better than the standard suspension.

These cars need much higher spring rates than standard, and the Bilstein kit has it. These cars also need better internal valving inside the dampers, and the Bilstein kit has it.

FWIW the stock suspension is manufactured by Bilstein ... but it is certainly not the same as their aftermarket parts.

If you are planning to keep the car for a while, don't cheap out.