stjimmy

CDI Remap File

73 posts in this topic

IF you are ever in the Vancouver area, Eddy is in Richmond....

RCTS in Calgary does a good smart diesel remap. Still pretty far away.

If you're going to Vancouver, call Mark Malone at Malone Tuning. He is the only true remapper in Canada -- ie. he takes your specific existing map and tunes it. Everyone else just resells -- legitimately or not -- the ByteShooter remap, which was never claimed to offer more than 54 bhp and 100 Nm of torque. Eddy's map is the ByteShooter map (I've seen the hash).

But that's no fun, Fast is fun ;)

Fast driving is for race tracks not for public roads. By driving fast you put yourself and other road users in danger. Driving is a privilege that should not be misused.

Think I ought to start campaining to make remapped cars automatically fail the vehicle test.

We ARE still talking about a 45hp smart cdi here. "Fast" is relative. As others have said, even a remapped smart is still the slowest car on the road. A more even power curve is definitely safer, in my opinion.

By the same token, smarts shouldn't be hauling trailers. In Canada at least, not one trailer nor hitch is MoT approved, and the smart is not approved for towing. That doesn't stop anybody from doing it. Some people even use it to tow huge, heavy loads that many SUV drivers would balk at towing. On public roads, no less. Once again, TK, actions speak louder than words. In my honest opinion hauling 800 kilos of lumber on public roads behind an 800 kilo fortwo is way more of a public menace than bumping horsepower up from 40 to 54!

1 person likes this

Mark actually has tunes for the smarts. Mind you for getting a tune from him is tough as he has an actual job outside tuning. He does most of my tdi's.

This thread is interesting. I remember back in the day having found the original 365277 file (along with many others) online and having loaded a bunch into the car and tested them. I recall most having little or no effect, some giving me errors of some kind (either 3 bars of death or failing the checksum - some of which seem to be included in the upload above), and I remember the 365277 file having much better shifting characteristics than any of the other maps, especially in soft-touch mode. Power was about the same as stock but I ran that map for a long time because of the improved shifting. Then I loaded the byteshooter map, and had WAY more power but was back to the "normal" shifting characteristics. Then I had Eddy install his map, and it was, let's say, very similar to the byteshooter map, with the same shifting.

So now if this modified 365277 map has the improved shifting of the ORI file I had tested, but someone's added a bunch of fuel to it, this has some potential. I'll have to test it out in the spring and see what it's like... exciting! lol

I have original file and tuned file on each version.

There's a modified 365277?

That's what I'm understanding...

I'll load it tomorrow (today, Sunday). I don't remember which map I'm on now but I suspect it's still the original ByteShooter -- though I might honestly have reverted back to a stock map, it's running so weak at the top end.

Do you have a demo version of WinOLS or something? I'd be curious to compare the maps.

Edited by booneylander

Nice! Very curious to hear what your results are.

The Good:

The Auto shift program AI is fantastic, almost intuitive. It shifts almost exactly the way I shift: with a light pedal on residential streets, it smoothly flips at ~2100; on busier streets with traffic lights and a medium pedal, it seems to prefer ~2700; a pretty heavy pedal for a merge onto the freeway, it shifts anywhere from 3100 to 3700; and matted, at redline.

As far as fuel delivery goes, it's very entertaining. Perhaps a bit less torque in the lower part of the band than I'm used to with the ByteShooter map that is very lively from 1800-up, but after about 2600 it kicks in, and how! All-out sprints are fun, and it has no issue keeping up with traffic or making multi-car passes.

The Bad:

This is one of the remaps that don't seem to play nicely with the ScanGauge II. It appears to not send anything out the OBD port. This is a deal-breaker for me, unfortunately. I rely on the data the SG provides, at all times.

The Ugly:

About three-fourths the way into work (maybe 4 km into the roughly 6 km highway portion of the drive), while attempting to get around a passing lane dawdler who'd finally moved over, I dropped to fifth and floored it. It triggered a no-CEL limp mode and urged me to down shift. It wouldn't break 100 km/h so I moved over to the slow lane and took the next exit. At a light I powered down and reset the SAM. NB: I do not have the smart-specific OBD cable from ScanGauge. When I leave work in a bit I'll clear the codes -- I have my DAS with me today -- and try again. Chances are I need to nudge back my waste gate, or at least check that it hasn't coincidentally seized up.

The Verdict:

I like the performance of this map and LOVE the Auto program shifting (though I still don't think it would make me use Auto any more than I do), but without the use of the ScanGauge I can't keep this map. If anybody has a similar remap that also works with ScanGauge, I'd love to try it. For now I'm back to the ByteShooter map.

Spirited drive home, but once again invoked limp mode in 5th at around 4000 rpm (DAS recorded the event -- 2.25 Bar -- at 3996 rpm :) ). It cleared with a SAM cycle at a red light again, and DAS cleared the stored code before the light turned green. Yes, I had my Star with me in the car. :D

Update: entertaining on the highway, but honestly rather annoying on local roads in stop-and-go driving. Unlike a tuning box or my old ByteShooter remap that add fuel from tick over to the top of the rev band, this map seems to use the stock fuelling to ~2600 and then it dumps it in. It is akin to the lag in a 1980s Dodge 2.2 turbo, with rather listless performance to 2600 and then a sudden surge. Fun for a short while, but otherwise annoying.

Ideal remap would offer the balanced performance increase across the range like the ByteShooter, the wonderful Auto shifting of 365277 (for those who want Auto) and full use of OBD- connected displays. Does this exist?

Very interesting review of the map. I specifically remember that about the intuitive shifting. Thinking to myself "this thing shifts exactly the way I would if I was driving in manual mode.

I think I need to learn to read hex. Lol

Edited by booneylander

Is there someone in the Okanagan that does remaps.

What does a remap like Eddys cost. Not averse to driving up there.

Are they reliable?

Thanks all in advance.

I think Eddy is a great choice. It's really the most balanced map available. Yes, in general these maps are very reliable. The fuelling doesn't create any real stresses the engine can't handle -- it's substantially the same engine as in the 101 horsepower BRABUS roadster. The engine can also run almost as efficiently as stock once you get over the thrill of having that extra oomph and start driving more sensibly. :)

Eddy occasionally has special pricing, like $300 or less, check with him.

Thanks guys. My commute has changed a bit and involves regularly entering merging onto a fairly fast highway (97) that is marked at 90 but everone goes 110. Its also uphill so can be a little unnerving. No problem for Angelas electric but I will be driving the grandstyle for the foreseeable future so.....

I'll be selling my 2006 burgundy cabrio when we bring it back to Canada this year. It has served us well down south and still has less than 40,000 KM on it. I'll use some of the funds to put a little life into the grandstyle. Hope I don't get carried away.

Edited by John & Angela