Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

smart sales in Canada and the U.S.A. 2015

68 posts in this topic

Wow!

Do you think it has anything to do with the 453 being right around the corner?

I would probably wait if I was buying a new one.

Hard to say...January is always a poor month in Canada. I would not buy a 451 now, so that could be a factor too.

I suspect the availability of 451 models at the dealers will tail off, in preparation for the new model. Cabrio and ED are still 451, but I would imagine that the factory will very soon stop building the gas-engine 451 coupe (if they haven't already stopped), since the 453 is already in production. The dealers will sell down stock. They're not going to want to have any of the old models around once the 453 shows up. 2015 will have low sales numbers.

January was awful. February will be awful. Who wants to go car shopping when it's that cold and miserable ...

The last 451 delivery was back in September, so they are not moving much stock. Nothing scheduled to come in this month from what I recall.

We've got about 35 x 451 ICE in stock for all of GTA (corp dealers - 8 dealerships) including demos. I was told the next shipment of ICE cars will be in August with the 453. I'm not sure if I believe it as it would basically mean 0 ICE sales in Toronto for about 6 months and Toronto was named the World Smart City a year ago.

All ED's in Toronto Corporate dealers are factory order only at the moment, nothing in stock. It appears to be a very weird situation...

This would support the belief that the factory has stopped building the 451 coupe with the gasoline engine.

Also, twobytwo, my current dealership said they could break my lease a little early if I bought a new smart. Can you do that as well? Or is that only from the dealership I bought it from?

Also, twobytwo, my current dealership said they could break my lease a little early if I bought a new smart. Can you do that as well? Or is that only from the dealership I bought it from?

I guess it depends on a few factors... Like, who is paying off the remainder of the lease? Is the dealership applying your Loyalty bonus towards paying off the remaining payments? Rolling the remaining payments into the new lease?

I can get anyone out of a lease early and into a new one, it's just how it's being set up that is the question. It's always great when I can help someone on the forum. If you PM me a few details about it (current lease details and what you're looking at for a new one) I'll try to get you information from me. Is it the ED you're considering getting out of early?

Oh Mike - not sure if you're tracking the Jeremy Scott ED's but those are both registered (only 2 in Canada) and on the road... wings were removed.

Yes, please provide that, all he needs is the last 6 of the VIN.

Well the tap is basically dripping now, rather than flowing....

February 2015

Canada: 43

USA: 458

This is shaping up to be a bad year for sales. Unlike 2007 when there was a semi-reasonable stock of 2006 450s in Canada (even though the ~2400 sales that year were a lot lower than it could have been), I get the impression that they are really short of the gasoline powered 451s in this country .... and so in the rear view mirror, 2015 is going to look like a really dismal year.

It will be interesting to see how many 453 can be sold from August to December. With the 453 so close I would not even bother to look at a ICE 451, unless it was almost free.

I have a feeling that the lions share ot the US/CAN 451 will be made available for the US. In the grand scheme of things one bad, partial sales year for Canada and the US is nothing.

Edited by Huronlad
1 person likes this

Yeah, 6 times less than the same month last year.

Yeah, 6 times less than the same month last year.

New model on the way, dealers don't have much in stock. Typically, the dealers don't want to have any of the old model around when the new model shows up.

Going to get worse before they get better!

Only ED have been shipping to Canada since the end of January. It looks like they must be selling most of what is coming in.