Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jwight

Ohio April Fools VII Can-Am smart rally - smarts find some heritage

14 posts in this topic

Join us the weekend of 10-12 April, 2015 for the annual Ohio April Fools Can-Am smart rally.

Activities: This year, smarts find some heritage at the Honda Heritage Center in Marysville, Ohio; check out how Airstream trailers are made at the Airstream plant in Jackson Center, Ohio; drive the Big Darby Plains Ohio Scenic Byway and as always, visit a mystery stop.

Food: Informal dinners on Friday and Saturday nights, lunch on Saturday plus breakfast on Sunday morning.

Lodging: Super 8 Marysville 16510 Square Drive, Marysville, OH 43040 Phone: (937) 644-8821

The motel is not holding rooms for us; call ASAP for your room reservation and mention the "smart car rally." Non-smoking and smoking rooms are available, as well as the AAA rate. Regular rate is ~$60 US/night.

Will need a head count as usual, plus first and last name for those going on the Honda Heritage Center tour. Cutoff dates for the Honda tour names is April 4th.

More info will be added to the SCoA thread.

2 people like this

The Airstream Trailer plant tour is 2:00 pm on Friday, 10 April: 419 West Pike Street, Jackson Center, OH 45334-0629

Booked a room. When I go into work tomorrow I will book off the Friday.

1 person likes this

We're less than a week away with over 20 cars so far - things are looking good. Hotel check-in time is 2:00 pm, which is the same time the Friday Airstream tour starts. We need to be at Airstream a little early, so if you drive in Friday plan on coming straight to the Airstream plant.

People will still be arriving after we get back to the hotel so the plan is to use the breakfast area as a gathering spot - we can order pizza or whatever (Max and I will want Subway, of course..)

The weather guessers are calling for better than average Ohio April weather - highs in the low 60s, rain on Friday, slight chance of rain on Saturday and partly sunny on Sunday (of course.) You can check current conditions here: Marysville, Ohio (43040) Conditions & Forecast | Weather Underground :)

1 person likes this

Food is always a concern on the April Fools rally, so here's what's on tap:

Friday after the Airstream tour, the motel has a breakfast room we can use to await late arrivals, have some refreshments and perhaps some pizza, etc.

Saturday breakfast either at the hotel, or nearby Starbucks, Tim Hortons or Bob Evans, prior to leaving for Honda at 9:45 am.

Saturday lunch after the Honda tour, around 12:30 at Rooster's in Marysville, next to the hotel. Depart for the mystery stop around 1:45 pm.

Saturday dinner at Der Dutchman in Plain City, around 6:00 pm, which leaves us time for driving the Big Darby Scenic Byway on the way to Plain City.

Sunday breakfast - same options as Saturday. :)

2 people like this

Directions for the Big Darby Plains Scenic Byway drive can be downloaded here. :)

Don't forget all your "accessories" for the trip: camera, folding chairs, umbrella, thermal underwear, etc. If you have GPRS radios bring them along - we'll be on Channel 4 as usual. :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

My car is all packed and I will be heading for the US this afternoon.

Edited by Huronlad
1 person likes this

I've got all my stuff packed too (but not yet in the car). I'll also be heading out this afternoon, but won't be arriving in Marysville until tomorrow. I'm making it a two day drive on the way out because I'm lazy!

2 people like this

Max, if you feel like a break when you get to this area, give us a shout ....... we could meet at a Timmies or some other place ........... no pressure. If you feel like just chugging along, wave as you go by Belmont ...... PM'd phone numbers

I find the 401 too boring, so I'm going to be cutting south of the lakes for my drive. Maybe another time though!

Thanks again to all the Canadians who make this a truly international event. Another good one with excellent weather for a change. You can find photos on this SCoA thread and on the event Facebook page. Carol and I really appreciate the gifts and the kind words - it's always a pleasure seeing everyone each April and catching up on what's been happening since the last time. See you in St. Louis! :)

1 person likes this

Wow! Beautyfull weather, amazing pics, successfull event, wish I could have been there. Good for you guys!

1 person likes this

Maybe next year - we lucked out on the weather this time around. :)