Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartmom

Valet parking?

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone trusted their smart to valet parking in San Francisco ?

We want to stay in a central location near Union square (?) but most places don't let you park your car yourself.

Haven't quite decided to drive down in a Smart, but if we do we want the car to be safe. Nobody bothers with an old ford van.

-smartmom

Don't worry about it. If you drive your smart to SF, it will never be left alone. Everyone walks up to it and wonders what it is.

This past summer, we drove ours to SF. When driving down Haight, some cat on the sidewalk yelled out "four-two, four two!!!!!!!!!!".

Your car will draw a crowd. The whole scene is not to be missed. Take the smart and don't worry about where to park it.

Why doncha try charging the valets for the priviledge... they probably get lots of Rolls', Bentleys, maybe even Ferraris and Maseratis...ho hum :devil:

After some research and a friend's recomendation, I found a nice motor inn with free self parking. AAA likes it, too.I've never had anything valet parked - so was nervous about letting my smart out of sight in some stranger's hands.(Saving 20-36 US dollars a day is good too)

Combine the novelty factor with the size and I would bet that they wouldn't even drive it, but would have you leave it front and center near the check-in.

Just take it up to the room with you - should fit in the elevator. LOLSome places in the States even have video monitors in the parking lot you can look at through the TV - though that was a good idea.Cheers,Cameron

Only not in SF but just here at home (Niagara Falls). Stella wasn't even a month old and I still had less than 2000 k on her and I was worried out of my mind. We were going to the Keg at the Embassy Suite Hotel and everyone who was wearing a uniform looked like they were 12!

I not only worried if they knew how to drive a smart and park it (let alone know how to turn it back on) but if they would be tempted to give it a spin in the parking garage - or something. It's amazing how your imagination works against you sometimes!

When we drove down to Vegas we stayed at the Bellagio. The Valets left it out front with a ferrari and a couple of other 6 figure cars! It was hilarious. They told us later they had to look it up on the net because they were getting so many questions about it.

I was glad I had it detailed before we pulled up to check in.

When we drove down to Vegas we stayed at the Bellagio. The Valets left it out front with a ferrari and a couple of other 6 figure cars! It was hilarious. They told us later they had to look it up on the net because they were getting so many questions about it.

random question... is there a discount on having a smart detailed? I mean, most places I know charge extra for big SUVs, so it would only seem fitting to discount a smart.

Just curious

That's great!! :biglaugh: Did you challenge any of the Ferraris to a race? I have to plan a trip to the US shortly. Especially before the smart is available there.

mkt: I negotiated a good deal with the guys I used. We looked up a few places online before we left the hotel before Vegas, and I just drove up. They did a good job for about half their posted rate.

ARTZ: lol, no. Frankly that was about 4000 km into our 6000 km trip, and we were tired of getting mobbed everytime we stopped. We pretty much ran into the lobby when we arrived. We did the Oregon coast, across Northern California into Northern Nevada, down to Area 51, into Vegas, into the Sierras, into Anaheim then back up the California coast. Good trip, even though we ran over a deer in Northern California. We were lucky and could drive home despite the damage, but have a contingency fund in case you have to ship your car home. We nearly did!