Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrTyore

Dead battery, or just too cold? Jumpstart?

13 posts in this topic

Hey all

So, it's been pretty cold in Ontario last few days - pushing 30 below. My car wouldn't start at all yesterday, and today at a balmy -16 it didn't get going either. It did something I've never seen, where I turn it on, let the heating coil light go out, and try it.... chug chug chug.... nothing. I try a 2nd time, and it chug chug chug, but then the lights start clicking on and off rapidly, and sometimes a clicking noise continued....

Not sure if this means the battery is dead, or if, as I mentioned, it's due to the chill. My questions then are:

What does this sound like to you various experts

Can CAA jumpstart a smart battery? I have the package that allows for that... failing this

Where / who can replace the battery that isn't Mercedes

Mark

Battery discharged and does not have sufficient power to crank engine. Rattling sound from starter relay is typical for this condition.

First thing to do is put battery on charge. Battery might freeze and crack up if you don't.

meteogram.png

I should mention

The block heater thing is not an option for me.. the connecting end broke off some years back.

Hi, I know the feeling I live right across the river in Gatineau, I had a dead battery too, but my Smart is parked for the winter so it explains why it was dead after a few month in the cold... You can just charge it like a normal battery, I removed it and put it on charge and it works just fine :)

Again

I don't have the block heater, and don't know about any sort of charger option? Also, I live in a condo, so don't have access to an outlet there... what are my options?

Hi

Battery is located in the passenger side footwell under a styrofoam block. It is a normal car battery. Caa can jump it.

Alan

Hi

Battery is located in the passenger side footwell under a styrofoam block. It is a normal car battery. Caa can jump it.

Alan

Truth told, this is the answer I was most hoping for.

Thanks again

Buy a 12 volt battery charger at Canadian Tire or where ever. Remove battery and bring it inside your condo and hook it up to the battery charger. While the battery is out, remove the 6 large screw-out covers/caps and check the water level. If any are low - lead plates are visible - top up with distilled water which is available at Canadian tire or most grocery stores.

For Arctic conditions you should fit NATO style STANAG slave receptacles for quick, safe and easy jump start.