Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shcubbebah

alternator,starter and thermostat access panel

100 posts in this topic

I should be getting to this restrictor any day now. I am surprisingly still awaiting postage of it. however I usually wait 20-30 days for things from uk to Canada. then I can actually put this access hole to use. I think I might change my belts aswell. For putting the belts back together does anyone have a quick method for tensioning I.e pry bar or wedge etc? or do I need something like easy green tools as a must? im sure Princess auto (Canada's discount tool and hardware store) has something that will do a similar function. ive been told as a general rule being able to twist a belt exactly 90 degrees will be proper tension any more is too loose and not enough is too tight.

I posted your plug just before noon on 24 Feb 15. Perhaps the mushers are on winter leave hence reason for the delay.

1 person likes this

I should be getting to this restrictor any day now. I am surprisingly still awaiting postage of it. however I usually wait 20-30 days for things from uk to Canada. then I can actually put this access hole to use. I think I might change my belts aswell. For putting the belts back together does anyone have a quick method for tensioning I.e pry bar or wedge etc? or do I need something like easy green tools as a must? im sure Princess auto (Canada's discount tool and hardware store) has something that will do a similar function. ive been told as a general rule being able to twist a belt exactly 90 degrees will be proper tension any more is too loose and not enough is too tight.

There are comprehensive instructions on how to tension and check belt tension in below thread on Smartz:

http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.php?12624-Correct-tension-for-auxiliary-drive-belt

Use iPhone to measure vibration frequency.

mine has a similar access panel cut out by previous owner

i was glad it was there

i still need to close it up properly (car is not currently being used)

my plan is to weld a flange completely around the cut piece for good overlap...then use short aluminum rivets or sheet metal self tappers...and cover it up with sticky tape similar to dynamat material ...or possibly just use soft butyl under the flange...

seen many factory access panels for fuel pumps in my day and i see no problem with making new ones as long as structural members are left untouched :thumbup:

or i might just get lazy and leave it the way it is :hugegrin:

i had to google "rivnut" and i remember seeing a kit at princess auto and thinking those would be perfect

The best solution is a flat bar steel frame sufficiently thick thread - screws are attached directly to it. The strap attached by welding body / cover.

In this style we refurbished the Bedford Blitz rocker cover , in the late 90s ...

I received my restrictor today. Used my acess panel for direct access. Start to finish for the restrictor mod took me 30 mins including removing and reinstalling carpet. I am posting with my mobile phone. Will post pictures when I get back to my computer.

A pleasant and quick solution!

Sunday we detached the gearbox as a last resort to work on the electric motor , but now the firewall is a rag.

post-15511-0-32117300-1426666908_thumb.jpg I first removed the carpet I had made previous cuts to make this step easier as normally both seats would need to be removed from vehicle before rear portion of carpet could be taken outpost-15511-0-72336400-1426666936_thumb.jpgremoved access panel and put a piece of rubber over the alternator to prevent it from being coated in glycol I removed the clamp from top v piece aswell.post-15511-0-46365300-1426666944_thumb.jpg photos show hose removed and restrictor is fitted in place. simply slid it back over top and installed a new clamp. I also had an overheating problem due to antifreeze slushing up in colder climate. so when I topped up coolant after mod I used concentrate to lower freezing point. start to finish roughly 30 mins I don't want to rub it in....or do I??? my question goes out to those who have used tolsen's restrictor what was installation time like using the engine lowering method? 2-2.5 hours would be my guess if someone knew what they were doing. thanks tolsen its definitely a noticeable difference in heater output. I am seeing my 3rd bubble unlike never before. however I only see on highway. or speeds 80kms or higher.

heat up times as follows +4 celcius ambient. first bubble 1.5 kms second bubble 4.5 kms (speed avg 60-70) decided to hit the highway and the millisecond I reached 100kp/h I got third bubble (10.5 kms) only time I saw third bubble was 15 celcius or warmer before the mod and that was after some distance on the highway before I reach that.

Edited by shcubbebah

Nice photos from an unusual angle. Did you fit a new thermostat too or only fit restrictor?

It's not a case of rubbing it in. It's a matter of what has been brought up previously: time to do the mod to complete jobs that you may only do once over the life of a car if ever, altering the car's structural integrity, creating a break in the car's environmental seal, and more. Before your "30 minute" job to put in the restrictor, how many hours did you invest to cut your car open -- twice -- and then weld the plate back together? When I did the restrictor mod using the Evilution/fq101 method, it took about two hours start to finish including draining, flushing, filling and bleeding the cooling system. If I didn't have AC it would've gone even quicker.

1 person likes this

Thermostat is shot, time to spend another 30 minutes using your wormhole.

The access hole reminds me of the olden days when we could replace thermostats in minutes whilst wearing our best white shirt.

Thanks for the support guys :/ I understand everyone has an opinion. It was worth my times so in relation to Francesco's time I am sitting at 3.5 hours time invested to make access panel and install restrictor. I am 1.5 hours over. So in future when I need to have access if I save that time in my next servicing. That already proves my time worth while. Also no I haven't replaced thermostat as it seems to be operating correctly I did find my coolant diluted too much with water tested at -25-to -29 range and that's around the temperature I found my overheating problems to occur. I now have it much lower temp but haven't check it. Since I let it run through so I get an accurate reading. I will check soon. But weather is hovering around 0 to plus 8 so I am

Not concerned right now

Next project is to replace alternator belt. I am trying to locate a new pulley for my alternator as I have read they are weak and wear out causing belt slippage. I would love to replace the pulley and change the belt to stop my cold morning sqeaking from occurring. Quite embarrassing when there is a nice looking female at the bus stop beside you and it happens..👎

Edited by shcubbebah

'Green tools' is not required.
If you want to use 'Gt', we can make.
I made one, working properly and cost the 0.19RON (CA $ 0.06) + 2 bottles of juice +clip MAB9 (14 RON - CA $ 4.29) .

http://smartmaniacs.co.uk/forum/the-cars/fortwo-450-sept-1998-oct-2007/872716-diy-alternator-belt-tensioner

MAB9 is

post-15354-0-13416500-1426794181_thumb.jpg

When I used MAB9 interface lead.

Edited by tyc

Next project is to replace alternator belt. I am trying to locate a new pulley for my alternator as I have read they are weak and wear out causing belt slippage. I would love to replace the pulley and change the belt to stop my cold morning sqeaking from occurring. Quite embarrassing when there is a nice looking female at the bus stop beside you and it happens..

I believe stickman007 can help you out with the alt pulley. Try messaging him.

thanks for the video reference. I think I will build myself one of these tools and go from there when I find myself the chance. project is now on hold. need to tend to girlfriends car troubles again... tisk tisk she wont buy a smart.

The green guy winds his engine wrong way. Risk of breaking guide for chain tensioner.

The green guy winds his engine wrong way. Risk of breaking guide for chain tensioner.

Valid point in hand. Will definitely reference that to my steps taken