Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxrider

New smart owner

14 posts in this topic

Hello all. I finally got my hands on a smart car last week. Wanted one for about a year now. Got it home and it has been awful. Been on the road 3 days. Day 1 alternator went. Day two abs and orange triangle light came on. Day 3 got 3 bars of death in the middle of a crazy busy intersection had to get it towed home. Is this what I have to look forward too? It's a 2005 cdi with 170,000 km. I was really excited about this car but so far I may have to cut my losses already as I now have a smart car that's worth practically nothing

Posted (edited) · Report post

Welcome.

If you can return it to the seller and get your money back, I would.

All know issues with a car now 10 years of age. All the necessary fixes can be found in the wikis and maintenance sections. Hopefully you did not pay too much for the car.

Edited by Huronlad

I doubt I can return it. It was private sale. I paid 2300 for the car. He told me it was in good shape and needed nothing

If you can make the repairs yourself make use of the info on the forum. If you need to have someone else work on it, make use of Glenn.

London, Ontario
A shop dedicated to the repair and maintenance of smart cars for the members of clubsmartcar.
Flat bed towing available.
Contact smart142 (Glenn) by pm or 519-652-2528

You get what you pay for, 2300 is salvage price, or close to it. The seller is a good liar.

But the good news is, there is probably a relatively inexpensive solution to those problems, if you are willing to DIY. Glenn is also a good source in London for good-value repairs.

Thanks. I can do the repairs myself it is more the diagnosis I may have problems with. I am just bummed I was excited to have the car and it's been a massive headache since day one

Alternator may have been seized if it had been sitting for a while. Or of course, it could have just been toasted somehow.

ABS and ESP light (Orange) is probably a rusted and cracked rear reluctor ring, maybe both.

3 Bars of death are a transmission fault. Common issues are chafed wiring on the wiring harness that leads to the clutch actuator. Often it is chafed where it passes through the intercooler scoop, other times it simply chafes in the wiring bundle from vibration.

Even doing the repairs yourself, Glenn can be a good source of replacement parts too!

I have read you can try and reset the transmission but can't figure out how to do it. Can't find it in the owners manual. Since I got The 3 bars the car won't start now. Doesn't even try to crank over

Welcome! And good luck.

I had a bad experience as well, not as bad as yours.

Bought an used 2009 passion, with 15.000 km on. First wash realized that the specific 2009 Red Rally colour had a factory problem where the clear coat on the panels peel off after aging. Now the panels are full of bubbles. :icon_sad:

Anyway, Smart cars seem to be very reliable cars and very easy to DIY. Last week somebody just twisted the windshield wiper arm(driver side) and the spring flew off. Found it and tried to put back. Spent some time to find out what needed to be done. Bought a small plier for removing the arms ($19) and took it off, put the spring back with other hand's help, and now it is working well (got few scratches trying to put the spring alone). Oil changes are very easy to do as well.

Like any other used car, plan ahead to spend at least 20-25% of the amount payed to improve the car. Unfortunately, any idea for my peeling panels are worth over $3000.

Take care.

Yeah I had 25 percent planned but the alternator alone was 25 percent. Are all parts super expensive? I paid 500 bucks for a rebuilt alternator.

1 person likes this

hi welcome to the club

I am a new member and owner too sorry to here your problems try disconnecting the battry for a while see if it starts after that and search the vin number of the car here to see if it is on this site

mine has 315000 km I bought it a month ago gave it a oil change and all filters

abs and eps lights come on aftter 60km/h back reluctor ring is cracked I will change both when I have time

abs rings on the back might be cracked abs and eps light

parts are expensive for the car but do shop around make phone calls to locale parts store and look online for the best deals

good luck

Yeah I had 25 percent planned but the alternator alone was 25 percent. Are all parts super expensive? I paid 500 bucks for a rebuilt alternator.

Yup, that's a lot. Could get one for 1/2 that price.

I could help with suggestions, and diagnosis, but I'm on vacation in Europe right now.

Call me after March 12th to set up a meet.

1 person likes this

Had the alternator experience with a Honda Civic, few years ago. The parts store charged 400.00 for the part and 125.00 for labour. Bought an used alternator for 35.00 and paid 115.00 labour, in Calgary-AB. Total 150.00, instead of 525.00

The used part was in very good condition. Always shop around. Internet is a good source too. Sometimes, Kijiji has adds for used parts. Saw a guy in Edmonton-AB with 2 models 450 diesel for parts, few months ago.

Thanks a lot Glenn. Seems like a great group on here.thanks everyone for the advice. Hopefully I can get this all worked out.

Bryan

Yup, that's a lot. Could get one for 1/2 that price.

I could help with suggestions, and diagnosis, but I'm on vacation in Europe right now.

Call me after March 12th to set up a meet.