Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jocko

Hard starting in the cold

142 posts in this topic

Injectors eh? Hmm... interesting but... I doubt that it's your starting issue source. You could make a quick test when your starting issue will occure next time. When the starter is cranking the engine, look at the tail pipe to see if there is any smoke (white or black). If there's no smoke (as I expect), there's no fuel injected.

No injection expected source:

- No ECM power feed or ground (Bad wiring/harness/ground connectors/etc...). Does your CEL goes "ON" when you turn the key "ON"? Yes = ECM is powered No = Burnt bulb or no ECM power feed.

- No power to the fuel feeding pump (SAM unit N-11 connector/bad wire behind the right rear inner fender liner harness etc...)

- Not enough fuel pressure in rail to allow injection (Clog fuel filter, worn HP fuel pump) it will not always turned "on" the CEL.

- No or bad crank position sensor signal (Bad wiring/electromagnetic induction/bad sensor/bad ECM connection) Sensor resistance should be between 800-1200 ohms at ambient temp. (+/- 20°c)

So, as you look like a guy ready to buy and replaced the crank position sensor, I guess that you already performed all the tests and observations required to be sure that all above are ok except for the crank sensor resistance right? So, by this way, your CDI should start right up very soon!

Je te réitère mon offre pour de l'aide David. Si t'as le temps de chienner là-dessus ce soir, je part de Saint-Valérien pis je monte chez vous! J'ai du temps live! Texte moi au pire. Sinon bah lâche pas! T'é proche du but je crois. ;)

It start almost right away, but the gine turn rough for fews seconds with white smoke and evrything came back to normal...

Elle n'est pas en état de démarrer pour l'instant, peut-etre la fin de semaine prochaine. Je te ferais peut-être signe si tu veux passer voir.

Ah! Je ne savais pas toute l'histoire. Si ça puff blanc pis que ça sent le fuel mal brulé... là un trouble d'injecteur peut s'avérer probable! T'as enlevé tes injecteurs? T'as nettoyé les tips? T'as observé de micro-fissures au niveau des tips ou d'autres anomalies visibles à l'oeil? Pas de codes moteur?

Anyway, je ne sais pas c'est où ta place d'injecteurs à Montréal ni quel type de job qu'y font mais... c'est pas cher!

Friday night I changed my crank sensor. Managed to get it out with the intercooler IN, of course my EGR is totally deleted, which helps. The new sensor measured 670 ohms resistance, the old one measured 1130 ohms. Though for sure this was the problem. Made the swap, yesterday I used my webasto so I wouldn't notice cold start problems anyhow. Today the temp was 2C and it still took 3 attempts to start the car. NO difference at all. $250 gone :grrrr:

And to reiterate, glow plugs, injectors, starter, and battery are less than a year old. I guess its possible my glow plugs aren't working 100%? The indicator lamp is working as it should, coming on for a few moments when I turn the key, then going out and staying out. Regardless, at 2C it shouldn't be that bad. I'm stumped.

I should probably just use the webasto anytime the temp is below 10C and forget there was ever a problem. :drive:

:(

I change my GlowPlugs at the beginning of the winter, and no difference for me...

Next step for my, compression test probably...

Edited by David_18

For the $90 I might change my glow plugs again just to see.

But otherwise, I cant think of anything else to change. My alternator maybe? No clue

For the $90 I might change my glow plugs again just to see.

But otherwise, I cant think of anything else to change. My alternator maybe? No clue

Don't know but by removing the alternator belt we could maybe see if the alternator create resistance at start up ?.

I thought that you had sold your smart and bought a CLA.

Compression test soon...

11183358_10152890257791849_3576881964292

I think not. There is no probe in that kit that is suitable for the Smart unless you unbolt inlet manifold.

Can you explain more ?

DSC02475.jpg

Above photo shows a glow plug and three probes. Top probe does not reach down to seat so won't seal. Middle probe seals but quick fit connector of pressure gauge can't be fitted due to interference with inlet manifold. Lower long DIY probe fits. It looks banana shaped in photo but is indeed straight.

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=22381

What they do at the dealership when they need to test the compression?

I will try with mine, i will see what i can do..

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can you explain more ?

DSC02475.jpg

Above photo shows a glow plug and three probes. Top probe does not reach down to seat so won't seal. Middle probe seals but quick fit connector of pressure gauge can't be fitted due to interference with inlet manifold. Lower long DIY probe fits. It looks banana shaped in photo but is indeed straight.

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=22381

How long the probe need to be for seal correctly ?

I found fews adaptor with different lenght.

Glow plug adaptor: 113mm M10x1

Glow plug adaptor: 102mm M10x1

Glow plug adaptor: 83mm M10x1

Edited by David_18