Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
communitycomposting

Trying to develop a smartphone mount

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've got a 2005 450. I'd like to find a durable solution for mounting a smartphone. I know others want the same.

I use a RAM brand mount in my work truck and it's fantastic. http://www.rammount.com/

The RAM smartphone mount is here: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN7BU

The double socket extension is here: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U-C

There are so many mounting options and so I wanted to put this idea out here and see what you all came up with. One idea I like is to use the accessory tree and use an extension to reach out from there. Another would be to use adhesive or screws to mount to the dash.

What is the threading for the screws of the accessory tree? RAM has ball mounts with threads:

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-379U-M616

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-379U-372437

Those that can be screwed into the floor or dash: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-202U

Those for adhesion: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-378U

They also have windshield mounts but I feel the windshield is just too far away to be practical in this application.

Any ideas are welcome!

What do you mean by the accessory tree?

I am referring to the 4 threaded female sections, to which you can mount the CD case, the mug holder, etc.

450_CUP_HOLDER.jpg

I see. I would assume it's somewhere from an M6 to an M8. You could buy a range of metric bolts for a few cents and just see which one fits best.

Just to be clear, it is definitely going to be metric; not one of them fan-dangled inch type thingies they sell in New York. :)

Just pull one of those screws and bring it to a nut and bolt store, they'll tell you what thread it is :)

Does the suction cup actually stick to the fabric, or do you use the plate over there on the left?

The mount is suctioned to a plastic plate with an adhesiver strip on one side.

I just receive a Clever Grip support, the support is perfect and only 3 day for receive the order.

post-10158-0-51606500-1427923574_thumb.jpg

Edited by sgrothe

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sorry old thread but I'm now in this boat also...lol
I think I'll attach the mount to the head liner above the rear view mirror.....with screws or glue/epoxy...? That way it'll be reachable and look like I'm adjusting mirror if seen  using it..?   I do not use my phone in the car at the moment as it takes too much concentration to see and operate it and that imho will cause me to get caught using it. Fines now are getting where they should be for texting etc and driving....they should be double this even!

Edited by Willys

I have something that clicks onto the center vent and has a magnet on the front. peel magnet and stick to back of phone or case. Was a $ store special works pretty darn good as long as you don't drive like a mad man, only had it fall off twice, and that was in a different car so far so good when used in the smart car.

Yes I've seen those, I just didn't want to block off any vents or stress the fins .....I also want to be able to reach it without looking like I'm using it, the fine now is getting where it should be, STEEP...!

I bought a clamp for the phone to be mounted on a flexable arm attached to the dash, but I'm going to make up a stainless steel bracket that I can screw into the head liner above the rear view mirror so I can easily reach it and also look like I'm adjusting it over dialing the phone IF I ever do so...?  I'm still getting used to using the bluetooth gizmo....lol.  IF you are interested I'll make up two if you want to mount one in the same place...it'll be just a bent piece of steel maybe painted black or something...?  So you can then screw the mounting device to it.......again once I get to working on it outside , after we come back from England...so mid to late April.

make one and lets see how it looks. I have a bluetooth thing for the ear, I don't expect many calls when I drive but at least I have that ability to have bluetooth. Did you ever get photos uploaded on the site of the cup holder or tint? Did you go and buy some of that vht spray tint and think of tackling that soon?

I am hoping to get to some wreckers easter weekend if I make a trip down to the coast. Need the car back together which should happen Monday afternoon. Then just need the weather to be decent. Don't want to take the smart on mountain highways without dedicated snow tires. I think they are all seasons and car has chains but will have to see the weather closer to next weekend. 

I got the wife to take pics but they are all too large mg size...!.....so now need to find a way to get them smaller, waiting for daughter to get home.....she can do it!...lol

yes I bought the VHT spray  but it's far too cold to worry about that, so will wait for the warmewr weather to dismantle car. 

I'm in getting ready for trip to England mode at the moment,  and getting snow blower put away and tractor out.....again just to sit in garage....augh!  It's almost as big as the smart!

We went to the mall to get my phone sorted out and got that done at Fido, then I happen to think I needed a cord for transfering stuff.....went into the Source and came out with upgraded phone and a tablet thing for the same monthly cost of just the old phone I had..!      So another thing to throw against the wall soon as it's ok simple for techy folks but for a dinasaur very complicated!   I'm back on the PC....lol.     I need a stylis the wife says to allow my to touch just ojne key at a time which is probably my issues...lol.   So off to the store after this to buy one of those.....will it ever stop...????  Damn!

OK, I'll bend up just one when I do it and take some correct sized pics etc and post them up, won't be for a while maybe as it's not on my important list for next week......April 1st we get on the plane.    The cost os flying on April 1st is 1/3 cheaper due to stupid fears for most folks!...idiots!  Thanks I'll take the savings , no problem.

21 hours ago, Willys said:

so I can easily reach it and also look like I'm adjusting it over dialing the phone IF I ever do so...?

If you are driving and using the phone I hope you are swiftly caught by the police.

Oh no...someone who thinks like i do....lol.....I do not use my phone as i can't even answer it without taking my eyes off the road....I want it located so if it rings I can easily see who it is, and decide what to do about it, not simply pull off into the shoulder at speed  just to find I do not want to speak to them. I'm a rear-end accident survivor so you are preaching to someone who would do far more than you would think of to the next person who hits me because of being either distracted or impared.

My working life stopped in 2001 because of it, plates and screws in my neck to fix 1/3 of the damages, the rest they left until later, later won't come due to pinched nerves etc etc etc....

I personally do not use, look at, touch, think about, or whatever else consider

my phone when I'm driving. Nothing is so important as to impinge my safety

or the safety of others...

2 people like this

Agree.  The only thing a phone can be useful for in a car is navigation but that's rare....